Prospect Info: General Prospect Discussion Thread 2019-20 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Don't want to sound prematurely hysterical, but how screwed are we if Khovanov ends not making it.:eyeroll::puppy:

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Don't want to sound prematurely hysterical, but how screwed are we if Khovanov ends not making it.:eyeroll::puppy:

Not really; like Sokolov, Khovanov was a long shot to make it to the NHL. He had a bit less to overcome, but there was a reason why he went from a 1st round prospect t0 3rd round.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Not really; like Sokolov, Khovanov was a long shot to make it to the NHL. He had a bit less to overcome, but there was a reason why he went from a 1st round prospect t0 3rd round.

There's an entire world of difference between Khovanov and Sokolov, and the reasons they fell in the draft are not the same.

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah Khovanov being a NHL C would be great but let’s not act like Boldy isn’t 5 times more likely to be a top 6 C

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Didn’t like Khovanov get hepatitis and almost die? I’m pretty sure that is what made his stock drop. He was going to go higher if that never happened.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Didn’t like Khovanov get hepatitis and almost die? I’m pretty sure that is what made his stock drop. He was going to go higher if that never happened.
Yes that's exactly why his stock dropped and he knows, or should. He was considered a 1st and didn't fall for any reason other than what his lack of health dealt him.

In a redraft he goes between 15-20.

Reactions: HotDish

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Yes that's exactly why his stock dropped and he knows, or should. He was considered a 1st and didn't fall for any reason other than what his lack of health dealt him.

It isn't like scouts didn't know who Khovanov was before he got sick. Yes, his health was a huge part on why he dropped, but his skating was also a factor, and his motivation and drive was another. He was a huge boom or bust factor and you'd hope that only his health was contributing - but his lack of discipline has shown.

Beastieboi

Oct 29, 2019
Minsk and ak bars played each other today, Mennell with another assist but it looks like khovanov didn't play.

HockeyRube

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
It isn't like scouts didn't know who Khovanov was before he got sick. Yes, his health was a huge part on why he dropped, but his skating was also a factor, and his motivation and drive was another. He was a huge boom or bust factor and you'd hope that only his health was contributing - but his lack of discipline has shown.
Can you expand on the bolded? I haven’t read or seen anything that alludes to him having these issues.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
with koivu allegedly not resigning, do we hand the 4c spot over to sturm and let him grow into his bottom 6 roll this season or are we gonna keep rask around to fill that void?

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
with koivu allegedly not resigning, do we hand the 4c spot over to sturm and let him grow into his bottom 6 roll this season or are we gonna keep rask around to fill that void?
Probably both. Not like a lot of guys in Iowa pushing for either 4c or press box forward #2.

Sturm will be 4c.

Rask will be press box for another year as an injury fill-in or he will take 4c is Sturm cannot cut it. Rask can be bought out next summer. Unless we do a trade that demands cap space this offseason.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Probably both. Not like a lot of guys in Iowa pushing for either 4c or press box forward #2.

Sturm will be 4c.

Rask will be press box for another year as an injury fill-in or he will take 4c is Sturm cannot cut it. Rask can be bought out next summer. Unless we do a trade that demands cap space this offseason.
kinda hope they do an even split or just let one play lw on the 4th line and trade our Lw depth. hopefully it allows rask to build some kind of value or a trade. obviously nothing major but something other than just cutting him for nothing.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
kinda hope they do an even split or just let one play lw on the 4th line and trade our Lw depth. hopefully it allows rask to build some kind of value or a trade. obviously nothing major but something other than just cutting him for nothing.

There is zero chance of Rask building up enough value for someone to want his caphit with a projected 3 year stagnant ca, unless we're taking back someone elses bad contract. He'll be bought out, it's just a matter of if its this year or next year and spreading the cap hit over 4 years or 2 years.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I could be wrong, but if team's have a shortened season, and/or play with no fans, I can't see a lot of buy outs from owners. They are going to be losing money, and not in a hurry to give away money. I guess you can justify buying out Rask if his replacement and Rask's buyout $$ amounts to the same as paying Rask. I think that's barely possible at the league minimum? Pretty close, anyway.

I don't think he's awful as a 4C, especially if he is flanked by Hartman and Foligno.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I could be wrong, but if team's have a shortened season, and/or play with no fans, I can't see a lot of buy outs from owners. They are going to be losing money, and not in a hurry to give away money. I guess you can justify buying out Rask if his replacement and Rask's buyout $$ amounts to the same as paying Rask. I think that's barely possible at the league minimum? Pretty close, anyway.

I don't think he's awful as a 4C, especially if he is flanked by Hartman and Foligno.
On top of that I don't know how many teams will be looking at taking on cap too. We might see teams in serious cap crunches having a way harder time dumping it because teams might not want to be spending more money even with sweeteners. There will still be a hand full of teams that will take cap and spend to the ceiling, but less than past seasons IMO. I'm interested in seeing how it affects the FA market.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
It will have a big effect. When "have" teams like the Pens say that they have an internal budget, then a lot of others will, also. Depending on how next season goes, guys who are trying to negotiate new deals might have to settle for less, or take shorter term deals and hope to get another long term deal later.
If an effective vaccine comes out earlier(say Jan 2021) rather than a year or so later it should lessen the effect, but the NHL will still have lost a significant amount of money. Gate receipts and all that comes with it make a up a good portion of their revenue.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
They'll play with fans. whether it's 25%, 50%, 75% etc, there will be fans in the stands. I'm willing to bet they start in January and they'll be playing to 75% full stands.

The NFL will go first with fans, because they're too big to fail and take the bad PR. Other leagues will follow.

Reactions: 2Pair
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->