OT: General OT Thread #43 - Fugu Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I lived in Tempe for 4 years and partially agree. -10, you bundle up. Love my 4 seasons.

Problem with the Valley of the sun, 90+ is 8 months of the year. 90+ in the dry heat isn't horrible, it's the 6 months of 100+, 3 months of 110+ that suck.

Eh, 90s with no humidity is comfortable, so 100 is only a bit bad. 110+ does start to get annoying, but when it's 85-95 overnight with no sunshine, it's all forgiven.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Regarding the weather, a lot of immigrants in early MN came here because the weather reminded them of the Old Country. That would make sense then if Kaprizov said that - the weather would remind him of Russia.

Regarding some of the comments on weather, I think people want what they don't have. For example, if you're in FL or AZ your whole life, you probably want out of those places. Similarly if you're in MN your whole life, you might rather be in FL or AZ.

Also, you think if you're in AZ or FL in June, July and August you aren't absolutely MISERABLE? Every house in AZ has to have two central air conditioners. in addition, you hear about deaths in AZ every year due to the heat. I don't know how many people die yearly in AZ or FL due to heat, but I would imagine more people die down there due to the heat than people die in MN due to the cold.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Regarding the weather, a lot of immigrants in early MN came here because the weather reminded them of the Old Country. That would make sense then if Kaprizov said that - the weather would remind him of Russia.

Regarding some of the comments on weather, I think people want what they don't have. For example, if you're in FL or AZ your whole life, you probably want out of those places. Similarly if you're in MN your whole life, you might rather be in FL or AZ.

Also, you think if you're in AZ or FL in June, July and August you aren't absolutely MISERABLE? Every house in AZ has to have two central air conditioners. in addition, you hear about deaths in AZ every year due to the heat. I don't know how many people die yearly in AZ or FL due to heat, but I would imagine more people die down there due to the heat than people die in MN due to the cold.

Most people who have lived in southern Arizona for any amount of time realize that you can't be outside doing physical activity for extended periods of time in the summer without taking precautions, the way most people who have lived in Minnesota for any amount of time realize you can't be outside in the winter without taking precautions. The people who die or suffer serious injury from either extreme heat or extreme cold are the people who don't take those precautions.

Everyone has their own comfort level with temperature, so people are going to prefer different climates. For me, 95-100 in the dry Arizona heat is more tolerable than 80 in a humid Minnesota. Likewise, 110 is more tolerable than 0 or below.

Reactions: Northerner

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Immigrants also came to the prairies because of the untouched, rich, farmland. Terribly cold places like Winnipeg and Fargo had extraordinarily fertile soil, and while the growing season was short, the hours of sunshine in the summer were long. I don't think that immigrants sought out the cold, especially in day s before electricity and hot water, but put up with it because of the availability(free, in some cases) of land, good soil, virgin forests, and lack of persecution.

I've spent a fair amount of time in some very cold climates, and have my share of "war" stories about working and playing outside in them. At this point in my life, I can still take the cold, but get tired of the length of winter. I no longer coach hockey, don't ski anymore, and always hated ice fishing, though I've taken up winter hiking.
If winter were only 3 months long, then I'd be fine. 5-6 months is just tiresome, for me.

Oh, is this a Kaprizov thread?

Last edited:

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Most people who have lived in southern Arizona for any amount of time realize that you can't be outside doing physical activity for extended periods of time in the summer without taking precautions, the way most people who have lived in Minnesota for any amount of time realize you can't be outside in the winter without taking precautions. The people who die or suffer serious injury from either extreme heat or extreme cold are the people who don't take those precautions.

Everyone has their own comfort level with temperature, so people are going to prefer different climates. For me, 95-100 in the dry Arizona heat is more tolerable than 80 in a humid Minnesota. Likewise, 110 is more tolerable than 0 or below.

I think undoubtedly it works against the Timberwolves in recruiting (I am pretty much sure Steph Curry said there was absolutely no way he would sign in MN so we didn't draft him - him being the golfer that he was, he wanted a warm climate), but I don't think that works against NHL franchises at all.

I remember Lou Nanne saying the only place he would rather have been than MN was Winnipeg because it was COLDER. lol. You just won't hear that from 99% of NBA players.

I was surprised to see the Laine thing unfold in Winn. I figured he would be there indefinitely. I actually was sad to see him leave that organization.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think undoubtedly it works against the Timberwolves in recruiting (I am pretty much sure Steph Curry said there was absolutely no way he would sign in MN so we didn't draft him - him being the golfer that he was, he wanted a warm climate), but I don't think that works against NHL franchises at all.

I remember Lou Nanne saying the only place he would rather have been than MN was Winnipeg because it was COLDER. lol. You just won't hear that from 99% of NBA players.

I was surprised to see the Laine thing unfold in Winn. I figured he would be there indefinitely. I actually was sad to see him leave that organization.

Yeah I would imagine hockey is the only sport where the majority either doesn't mind cold climates or prefer it. Growing up, the most easily accessible rinks were most likely outside in the winter, which means the people who couldn't either tolerate it or enjoy it probably didn't grow up to become professional hockey players.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey

Funny thing i've heard from Yote fans is that they think their year round golfing and warm climate works against them. I've seen their fans complain that players come here for the off ice activities more so than the on ice activities. Everytime they sign a vet their fans say they only came to play golf and not be recognized.

They believe northern teams it is easier for players to just focus on hockey instead of rushing thru practice to go hit 18 holes after.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Funny thing i've heard from Yote fans is that they think their year round golfing and warm climate works against them. I've seen their fans complain that players come here for the off ice activities more so than the on ice activities. Everytime they sign a vet their fans say they only came to play golf and not be recognized.

They believe northern teams it is easier for players to just focus on hockey instead of rushing thru practice to go hit 18 holes after.

Hockey players though do get their Summers off. NBA and NHL seasons being right through the heart of Winter you would hope most players are more focused on their "job" than playing golf.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017

Would you say MN generally has two "throw away" months (Jan and Feb) and similarly AZ has two "throw away" months (July, Aug)?

Or do you feel like Dec and March (or more ) are "throw away" months here?

Can you be out at all in AZ during the really hot months?

There was a guy on the crew that re-did my retaining wall and he was from AZ...said it was too hot there - he told me he liked living in MN better. I was a little surprised by that. He can't be the only one.

I imagine Canadian kids would love to play for Alabama Huntsville, or ASU. I see a number of Canadians on ASU's roster.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Would you say MN generally has two "throw away" months (Jan and Feb) and similarly AZ has two "throw away" months (July, Aug)?

Or do you feel like Dec and March (or more ) are "throw away" months here?

Can you be out at all in AZ during the really hot months?

There was a guy on the crew that re-did my retaining wall and he was from AZ...said it was too hot there - he told me he liked living in MN better. I was a little surprised by that. He can't be the only one.

I imagine Canadian kids would love to play for Alabama Huntsville, or ASU. I see a number of Canadians on ASU's roster.

No you don't really wanna be doing much outside when it's 110+. For me the throwaway months are mid-June to mid-September here, and December though February in Minnesota. Granted, like people have brought up, you can bundle up and do winter activities there, where that equivalent doesn't really exist here. You still have people going swimming and boating, and all that here, but a lot of people go up north if they want to go outside in the summer here.

The biggest difference for me, is where in Minnesota, even October, November, March and sometimes April can be the gross "in between" period where it's too cold, maybe snowy, to do warm activities, but not cold, frozen enough to do winter activities. But in Arizona, those are the best months of the year, in my opinion. Oh, and the sunshine too. 320ish days of sunshine per year here, whereas Minnesota seems to have 6 straight months of gray skies in the fall and winter.

This is all just my opinion and personal experience though. I don't pretend to speak for the majority or anything.

Last edited:

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Does that mean they are going to start negotiating in good faith with the carriers? If not, screw them. Hope all the local teams find different broadcast partners.
I heard they want to start their own platform. Another streaming site for everyone to have to subscribe to.

However, if their streaming site allows me to watch all the teams in the league on their local broadcasting crew. It will convince me to cut my cable since the only reason i have it is for live sports.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
kicking myself for not. I saw it around 100. Thought about jumping on, but didn't read much about it. Now it is over 300. I really don't feel like dumping cash into the market with rent coming up.

Count yourself lucky. Keep in mind that what they are doing is a pretty small window where they will make money. Many of the big wigs who bought a crapload of the stock did it knowing they were going to come out even, but they were going to take down 2 hedge's that severely shorted GME. Many will lose money out of this unless you actually sell the stock. Which is not what this "group" is wanting you to do. The longer they hold, the most interest that the hedge funds have to pay on their shorts. While there is nothing "wrong" with what we are witnessing, don't count out that this is probably Act 1 in a 3 Act show.

What is extremely intriguing about this whole damn thing is how it has completely flipped the script on WallStreet and the stupid Business pundits in the media. Both are screaming insider trading, bear raid and market manipulation. Where that line actually stands is pretty damn fine then, when you consider someone from JP Morgan can go on Jim Cramer and cite their analytics that a stock will do X in Y time, no problem. Or just the simple fact, that this is why many are against hedge funds being able to buy shorts in the first place. WallStreet appears to just be pissed off because, as many in WSB's posted "the peasants found out a way to make money off the rich by playing their own game"

You would have thought WS would have learned from 2008....

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
My son was, in a small way. I had no idea, but we had a pretty long conversation about it a few days back. It doesn't end with GameStop, btw.

Both of us think that they will make new regulations to put a stop to this. Just saw that Warren is saying just that. Kind of ironic, because she would be siding with Wall Street against the people she purports to represent.
I think most are taking delight in the big time traders being beaten at their own game.

Last edited:

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i don't know how the sec can block people from talking stocks in chat rooms then buying when they allow hedgefunds to short the crap outta stocks. it really should start with brokerage firms not using the stock you bought against you by letting somebody else short your stock. cheers.

Reactions: 57special

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Count yourself lucky. Keep in mind that what they are doing is a pretty small window where they will make money. Many of the big wigs who bought a crapload of the stock did it knowing they were going to come out even, but they were going to take down 2 hedge's that severely shorted GME. Many will lose money out of this unless you actually sell the stock. Which is not what this "group" is wanting you to do. The longer they hold, the most interest that the hedge funds have to pay on their shorts. While there is nothing "wrong" with what we are witnessing, don't count out that this is probably Act 1 in a 3 Act show.

What is extremely intriguing about this whole damn thing is how it has completely flipped the script on WallStreet and the stupid Business pundits in the media. Both are screaming insider trading, bear raid and market manipulation. Where that line actually stands is pretty damn fine then, when you consider someone from JP Morgan can go on Jim Cramer and cite their analytics that a stock will do X in Y time, no problem. Or just the simple fact, that this is why many are against hedge funds being able to buy shorts in the first place. WallStreet appears to just be pissed off because, as many in WSB's posted "the peasants found out a way to make money off the rich by playing their own game"

You would have thought WS would have learned from 2008....

The REAL interesting thing is the Gov stepped in, basically to stop hedge funds from losing money. The past two days they've halted trading on GME (and now AMC) because of "market volatility".

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
a year ago i believe a group of hedge funds used covid as an excuse to drive down the market and nobody felt sorry for me losing money.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
a year ago i believe a group of hedge funds used covid as an excuse to drive down the market and nobody felt sorry for me losing money.
Actually, they took the volatility of COVID, placing shorts on the market, to make billions.
The did the same on GME expecting the price to go down (making them money), but the price never dropped causing them to lose millions/billions. Apparently THAT's an issue. /shrug

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
ya, not a lot of sympathy for hedge fund managers out there.

Well Citadel's apps they own (RobinHood and a few others) all halted Put options today. Can only sell. So, this will get fun because now we really do have market manipulation going on. They are preventing individuals from doing it, when those companies hold no fiduciary responsibility to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad