OT: General OT Thread #43 - Fugu Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
But it could also potentially turn to rain.

And let me tell you, I'm realllly hoping it turns to rain.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I don't like using the word 'epic' too often since it's associated with a lot of dumb thing these days but I won't let the weather get me down for this epic week. Wild win the draft lottery tonight ( ;) ), NHL Playoffs start tomorrow, Masters begins Thursday, and last season of Game of Thrones premieres Sunday night.

Reactions: Wild11MN

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I don't like using the word 'epic' too often since it's associated with a lot of dumb thing these days but I won't let the weather get me down for this epic week. Wild win the draft lottery tonight ( ;) ), NHL Playoffs start tomorrow, Masters begins Thursday, and last season of Game of Thrones premieres Sunday night.

I read up to your word "epic" and immediately knew you were going to have GoT in there lol

Reactions: Dee Oh Cee

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Eh, if it is snow, it'll melt in like 2 days time anyway. It is getting too warm.
Plus, rain Tuesday- Thursday next week so far in case that was in doubt... it will be gone lightning quick thankfully.

Any salt that gets thrown down should be rinsed away quickly by that rain next week too.

Reactions: BigT2002

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
We just don't need the water in any form right now. Half the midwest is underwater right now and was going to stay that way before this storm.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Well... Besides the whole draft lottery thing...

This will be a pretty epic weekend for me as well! NHL playoffs tonight, Masters starts tomorrow, Men in Blazers live show at the Ordway on Friday, Loons home opener on Saturday, GoT on Sunday!

I might need to take Monday off work to recoup :laugh:

Reactions: Dee Oh Cee

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
We just don't need the water in any form right now. Half the midwest is underwater right now and was going to stay that way before this storm.

Bit extreme don't ya think ;)

But I know you're saying. This could be pretty devastating for the Buffalo Ridge Valley since they are getting smacked hard with the full brunt of this storm. Red River is gonna be running hard.

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
YouTube just announced that the monthly fee for YouTube TV is going up to $50/month for new AND existing members. (It was previously $35/month for original members like myself, even after the first price hike for new members).

Welp, it was fun while it lasted. Time to cancel that shit. Luckily it doesn't go into effect for me until June 5th. By that point I'll have regular TV again anyway, and the playoffs will be close to over so Formula 1 will be the only thing I'll be watching.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
YouTube just announced that the monthly fee for YouTube TV is going up to $50/month for new AND existing members. (It was previously $35/month for original members like myself, even after the first price hike for new members).

Welp, it was fun while it lasted. Time to cancel that ****. Luckily it doesn't go into effect for me until June 5th. By that point I'll have regular TV again anyway, and the playoffs will be close to over so Formula 1 will be the only thing I'll be watching.
All of those cord cutters that thought they would save money are in for a rude surprise. With more and more networks making their own streaming services the cost will be the same because you will have to subscribe to so many.

Reactions: BigT2002

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN

Welp, it was fun while it lasted. Time to cancel that ****. Luckily it doesn't go into effect for me until June 5th. By that point I'll have regular TV again anyway, and the playoffs will be close to over so Formula 1 will be the only thing I'll be watching.
Yeah I'm pissed. I'm canceling.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
All of those cord cutters that thought they would save money are in for a rude surprise. With more and more networks making their own streaming services the cost will be the same because you will have to subscribe to so many.
In the end, you'll be better off with a cable or sat package (or a streaming tv package that is an equivalent) that gives you streaming access to all the sports/movie channels etc anyway, so you have one clean bill instead of 10-20 smaller bills.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
In the end, you'll be better off with a cable or sat package (or a streaming tv package that is an equivalent) that gives you streaming access to all the sports/movie channels etc anyway, so you have one clean bill instead of 10-20 smaller bills.
My Xfinity bill is always high. I'm dropping my landline this year, but its the Cable that keeps it up there.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere

Yup. Hell add it up quick, if a cord cutter had:

YouTube - $50
NetFlix - $15
Hulu w/ live streaming - $40
Disney - est. $20
HBO Go - $15
ESPN+ - $50/yr - ($4/mo)

That is roughly $145/mo

That is more expensive than my cable bill now.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN

YouTube - $50
NetFlix - $15
Disney - est. $20
HBO Go - $15
ESPN+ - $50/yr - ($4/mo)

That is roughly $145/mo

Well, to be fair, why would you have Hulu TV and YouTube TV?

For me it will be:
YouTube TV for 50
Netflix, Hulu, and HBO for 45

So a 95 dollar TV/Streaming bill.

I honestly don't even know what a cable package with HBO goes for nowadays.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Well, to be fair, why would you have Hulu TV and YouTube TV?

For me it will be:
YouTube TV for 50
Netflix, Hulu, and HBO for 45

So a 95 dollar TV/Streaming bill.

I honestly don't even know what a cable package with HBO goes for nowadays.

Don't have either so no idea what it has or not :D

My cable bill, without Internet, with HBO and SHOWTIME is roughly $110. That is with an absurd amount of channels I don't watch. Cut those 2 out and I'm cheaper than yours.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
We all need to hope that Net Neutrality comes back to stay. Otherwise the price of high speed internet will become as expensive as the streaming services put together.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota

YouTube - $50
NetFlix - $15
Disney - est. $20
HBO Go - $15
ESPN+ - $50/yr - ($4/mo)

That is roughly $145/mo

They just announced the starting price point for Disney Plus will be $6.99/mo, which sounds like a pretty sweet deal, although they did say the kickoff content is not going to be extremely expansive or deep. I also read that they're going to be trying to package Hulu/ESPN+/ Disney+ so there may be some savings there if you get all three.

I agree though, streaming services are taking full advantage of people getting sick of overpaying for cable and it's going to get way out of hand when every network gets their own streaming service.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
They just announced the starting price point for Disney Plus will be $6.99/mo, which sounds like a pretty sweet deal, although they did say the kickoff content is not going to be extremely expansive or deep. I also read that they're going to be trying to package Hulu/ESPN+/ Disney+ so there may be some savings there if you get all three.

I agree though, streaming services are taking full advantage of people getting sick of overpaying for cable and it's going to get way out of hand when every network gets their own streaming service.

Just saw that myself too. I mean that is basically the full monty to replace a significant majority of channels from cable/sat. And as you alluded, that doesn't even take into consideration other streaming apps available specifically to channel that maybe the others aren't touching. I can only imagine what the ISP's are going to start doing here shortly. With 5G coming, mobile providers are about to up the ante in both pricing and services.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
What we need are more of the Chipotle-style "pick-and-choose" plan. I want like 10 channels. If only I could pay for what I wanted instead of a whole bunch.

It's slowly going that direction. HBO, Showtime, etc., but I basically want something like that for everything, including sports. I'm not sure that'll ever happen.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
What we need are more of the Chipotle-style "pick-and-choose" plan. I want like 10 channels. If only I could pay for what I wanted instead of a whole bunch.

It's slowly going that direction. HBO, Showtime, etc., but I basically want something like that for everything, including sports. I'm not sure that'll ever happen.

That would be amazingly ideal. For morons like ESPN, it would be a godsend for them too. Regardless of how much I detest much of their programming now, they are still pretty much THE staple for sports.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
That would be amazingly ideal. For morons like ESPN, it would be a godsend for them too. Regardless of how much I detest much of their programming now, they are still pretty much THE staple for sports.
I don't remember the last time I've even turned on ESPN outside of watching MNF.

Reactions: Wild11MN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad