OT: General OT Thread #43 - Fugu Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
i doubt the highway patrol would agree. while plenty of us could safely drive at a higher speed theres always some yahoo idiot nascar wanna be that ruins it. back in the 80's when the limit was 55 i had a t-shirt with boxes to check raise the speed limit to 65; 75 ; warp 6.
Slow driver backed up traffic in the left lane. People love this officer's response

Yes, they do agree.

The autobahn proves that fact every day. It is one of the safest highways out there because people respect the slower traffic keep right laws.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
There is a difference of going fast and driving recklessly. Usually if someone is driving recklessly they are also going way over the limit.
look at my recent edit of that post.

Also...

Left lane law routinely ignored by drivers | KRISTV.com

Officials add that drivers should not attempt to drive slowly in the left lane to prevent others from speeding.
They say that for safety reasons. You back people up at the speed limit, its more dangerous than letting those who want to speed to go by freely in the left lane.

Last edited:

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
About the autobahn proving the safety? You realize that is referring to speeds well beyond what you are deeming reckless?
I never said speeding is the same as reckless driving. To me those are two separate things. Cutting back and forth between lanes without a blinker is reckless. All I was saying is usually these kind of people are doing this act while going fast. It shouldn't take a genius to figure out swerving violently at high speeds generally doesn't end up well for the driver or other cars.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I never said speeding is the same as reckless driving. To me those are two separate things. Cutting back and forth between lanes without a blinker is reckless. All I was saying is usually these kind of people are doing this act while going fast. It shouldn't take a genius to figure out swerving violently at high speeds generally doesn't end up well for the driver or other cars.
And the only reason they are weaving is because slower traffic isn't keeping right which is my point.

The law doesn't say slower traffic keep right unless your going the speed limit. It just says slower traffic keep right... as in slower than the car coming up behind you.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
That's not quite right. There are some highways in Texas that are over 75 mph, but not all of them. The only one I ever saw was SH130 outside of Austin, 85 mph speed limit. And yeah I pretty much drove 95 the whole way down it.

In the greater Houston area, the speed limits on urban freeways max out at 65 before you get out to the country where it ups to 75. On the 65 bits, if you're not going 70-80, you're holding up traffic. People regularly go 80.

Don't even get me started with Houston drivers lol. I can be going 90 in the middle lane and still get my doors blown off by a Honda Civic going 100+ on I-45

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Slow driver backed up traffic in the left lane. People love this officer's response

Yes, they do agree.

The autobahn proves that fact every day. It is one of the safest highways out there because people respect the slower traffic keep right laws.

That is because it is the law. Like you will be ticketed for it if you're in the left hand lane and not moving over. Left hand lane has always been relegated as a "passing lane" in almost every civilized country. Though I've never seen a cop pull someone over for hanging out in the left lane. You will in Germany though. That don't tolerate that crap.

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
You will in Germany though. That don't tolerate that crap.

You can also get cited for running out of gas on the freeways there. Because by doing so, you created a danger for other drivers by having to stop on the shoulder for something that you failed to control. (I don't know how the law officially states it but that's the gist).

Reactions: BigT2002

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
That is because it is the law. Like you will be ticketed for it if you're in the left hand lane and not moving over. Left hand lane has always been relegated as a "passing lane" in almost every civilized country. Though I've never seen a cop pull someone over for hanging out in the left lane. You will in Germany though. That don't tolerate that crap.
Exactly, and it's the law because it's unsafe.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
And the only reason they are weaving is because slower traffic isn't keeping right which is my point.

The law doesn't say slower traffic keep right unless your going the speed limit. It just says slower traffic keep right... as in slower than the car coming up behind you.
Once again you don't seem to be getting my point. There is a big difference between trying to get ahead of slow people and driving in a manner that is dangerous. Even if you increase the speed that people can go there will still be way too many accidents.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Once again you don't seem to be getting my point. There is a big difference between trying to get ahead of slow people and driving in a manner that is dangerous. Even if you increase the speed that people can go there will still be way too many accidents.

Both speeding driver cutting in and out of traffic and the slower drivers not getting out of the way are both being asshats.

Yes, they do agree.

It's a difference in driving style and licensing between US highways and the autobahn. It's much harder and/or takes more schooling to get a German license than a US license. The autobahn's road is also better maintained.

It's illegal to pass on the right (in most instances) on the autobahn, but it's also illegal to not yield to faster traffic and not move to a right hand lane. Both of these traffic laws are enforced with enough regularity that it's almost a non-issue. Germany also doesn't allow the beater with a heater that's run by a half starved hamster like the US does (these are the cars I generally own).

Everyone following basic traffic courtesy would do more for traffic safety and flow than most laws. Besides any law that isn't enforced or selectively enforced is a bad law. They grey area of well the posted limit is 70 but they won't give me a ticket unless I'm going an arbitrary number over that really nullifies the posted limit anyways.

Hockey season really needs to start when there is any disagreement about anything in Germany other than which is the best beer they make.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Both speeding driver cutting in and out of traffic and the slower drivers not getting out of the way are both being asshats.

It's a difference in driving style and licensing between US highways and the autobahn. It's much harder and/or takes more schooling to get a German license than a US license. The autobahn's road is also better maintained.

It's illegal to pass on the right (in most instances) on the autobahn, but it's also illegal to not yield to faster traffic and not move to a right hand lane. Both of these traffic laws are enforced with enough regularity that it's almost a non-issue. Germany also doesn't allow the beater with a heater that's run by a half starved hamster like the US does (these are the cars I generally own).

Everyone following basic traffic courtesy would do more for traffic safety and flow than most laws. Besides any law that isn't enforced or selectively enforced is a bad law. They grey area of well the posted limit is 70 but they won't give me a ticket unless I'm going an arbitrary number over that really nullifies the posted limit anyways.

Hockey season really needs to start when there is any disagreement about anything in Germany other than which is the best beer they make.
NOU

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
You can also get cited for running out of gas on the freeways there. Because by doing so, you created a danger for other drivers by having to stop on the shoulder for something that you failed to control. (I don't know how the law officially states it but that's the gist).

Yup and if you come upon an accident you are lawfully obligated to stop and assist if you are the first person at the scene. Almost everyone there had a first aid kit in their vehicle "just in case."

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere

Lived there for 2 years, absolutely it is harder to get a license and gas is sooooo much more expensive there. Living on base was a godsend because the gas there was at the normal US price, not German price. You had a gas card though to make sure you weren't abusing it. But ya, IIRC a German driver is someone who maintained a 3.0 GPA in school and pays a crapload of money. They have to drive and be tested in every type of environment as well. Rain, Snow, Fog, Sunshine, etc. Also drive in villages, major city and demonstrate parking abilities as well. It is intense as hell. For us, we just had to take a drivers test on the different signs and German laws.

Also have to remember that cameras are completely legal there and they are merely there just for speeders. Something that almost every state that has tried to use them here has been sued for privacy rights. Kind of funny when you think of the privacy laws in Europe (GDPR especially) compared to here for everyday citizens. So polzei are not looking for speeders typically. That is what the cameras are for.

And I agree, we need hockey lol.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

I'm not advocating the speeds seen on the autobahn to be legal here, all I've done is point out free flowing traffic at any speed is safer than bottled up traffic at the speed limit.

If slower traffic would keep right, as they're supposed to, we'd have a lot fewer accidents.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I'm not advocating the speeds seen on the autobahn to be legal here, all I've done is point out free flowing traffic at any speed is safer than bottled up traffic at the speed limit.

If slower traffic would keep right, as they're supposed to, we'd have a lot fewer accidents.

The only reason we can't have nice things is we tolerate a lot of BS that Germany (and some other countries) don't. Not to mention it is only certain parts of the autobahn that are unrestricted. For the most part you are going 65MPH for fear of cameras. The equivelant of where we would see unrestricted in MN would be I-35S Between Lakeville and Owatonna. And after Owatonna until Albert Lea. For I94N, after St. Cloud to Alexandria and then Alexandria to Moorehead.

But again we tolerate a lot of BS. Texting, Phones, eating, drinking (alcohol), cigs, etc. Most of that is all under distracted/reckless driving (and naturally DUI), but it is so rare to see it enforced here.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
The only reason we can't have nice things is we tolerate a lot of BS that Germany (and some other countries) don't. Not to mention it is only certain parts of the autobahn that are unrestricted. For the most part you are going 65MPH for fear of cameras. The equivelant of where we would see unrestricted in MN would be I-35S Between Lakeville and Owatonna. And after Owatonna until Albert Lea. For I94N, after St. Cloud to Alexandria and then Alexandria to Moorehead.

But again we tolerate a lot of BS. Texting, Phones, eating, drinking (alcohol), cigs, etc. Most of that is all under distracted/reckless driving (and naturally DUI), but it is so rare to see it enforced here.
Yeah as great as our Constitution is it sure opens a lot of loop holes for idiots to exploit.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
So I've finally been going through and watching a bunch of the Marvel movies. A few of them really surprised me. Guardians of the Galaxy was great, I was surprised how much I liked Black Panther despite the acclaim it got, and I really enjoyed the first two Captain America movies as well. I've now seen roughly two-thirds of the movies (just watched Infinity War this weekend). I'd say my top five from what I've seen are (not in order):
Iron Man
Avengers 1
Black Panther
Guardians 1
Winter Solider

For some reason I didn't love all of the more recent movies where all of the heroes are together. Civil War wasn't my favorite, nor Avengers 2. Avengers 3 was pretty solid, but not spectacular IMO. Ragnarok was fantastic when you compare it to the first couple Thor movies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
My top-4 in no particular order (I haven't seen Black Panther or Antman 2):
-Ironman 1
-Captian America 1
-Gaurdians 1
-Antman

5th would probably be Avengers 1 but it's behind the top-4 a bit. I'm holding out hope for Captain Marvel to join the top-4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad