OT: General OT Thread #42: The Answer to the Ultimate Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
No mention of the snow proves it's just a normal Minnesota Monday. ;)

My company closed the building at 4, and that's the first time that's happened in the 4.5 years I've been there. Also, I live in a townhome, and I can't even get into my street to get to my driveway, so I had to park out on the road until the plows come through, which may not be till overnight. I'm going to be snowed in so hard. Sure hope no one hits me too...

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Aaaaaaaaaand.... I went back out there, made it barely into the road, then someone else backing out of their driveway decided to reverse down the road to gain some speed going forward and didn't see my car sitting there while I was shoveling it out, so he hit my bumper. Only damaged the Honda logo as far as I can tell... but come on man.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
No mention of the snow proves it's just a normal Minnesota Monday. ;)

My company closed the building at 4, and that's the first time that's happened in the 4.5 years I've been there. Also, I live in a townhome, and I can't even get into my street to get to my driveway, so I had to park out on the road until the plows come through, which may not be till overnight. I'm going to be snowed in so hard. Sure hope no one hits me too...

Aaaaaaaaaand.... I went back out there, made it barely into the road, then someone else backing out of their driveway decided to reverse down the road to gain some speed going forward and didn't see my car sitting there while I was shoveling it out, so he hit my bumper. Only damaged the Honda logo as far as I can tell... but come on man.

I mean, you sort of asked for it with the bolded comment.... But hopefully there is no more damage than the logo!

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I mean, you sort of asked for it with the bolded comment.... But hopefully there is no more damage than the logo!
Yup... shouldn't have said that. Finally in the garage and it all looks okay still thankfully.

Edit: Nope, little bit of damage. *&^%.

Last edited:

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i was in downtown st paul stuck in traffic and a bus jackknifed (sort of) blocking all northbound traffic and this yaahoo drove on the left within about 12 inches or less and turned left he was driving on unplowed middle lane. i ended up following him (only option) and we got to an intersection he got stuck , went sideways and had no choice but to head southbound on robert which was not where he wanted to go. it was a black newer challenger or charger. i thought sure sh@@ he was gonna hit me when he drove by. i got lucky!

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
I'll never understand why some people think that because they have a big truck or a high powered sports car they are immune to the elements.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I'll never understand why some people think that because they have a big truck or a high powered sports car they are immune to the elements.

That is a very sweeping generalization imo. If anything, the one's you need to watch out for are the Holly Homemakers in the Lexus RX300's or BMW X5's more than anything. Those "SUVs" are terrible in any inclement weather condition and they drive them in a such a manner that is completely unsafe to other drivers on the road.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.

I'll admit it, it feels like the world gets it when I see larger pickup trucks stuck in snowy ditches. There's every chance they were smugly chuckling "trucklomatic immunity" to themselves as they flew by all those pokey people inexplicably driving WI-plate slow in whiteout, black ice conditions.

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
Just found out my Div 3 University hockey team will be facing the USA Hockey Under 18 team today. Would be nice to see some NHL first rounders in action live but I'm afraid I'll probably be too tired to go.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
So random question time/odd request time. Does anyone from Finland on here knit?

My wife got a skeen of yarn from Finland as a gift, and found a pattern she really likes, but it's all in Finnish. She would like someone to translate it to English for her.

Google translate didn't help at all.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
So I went to MOA today around 1:30, and it was already pretty busy. The only special thing from what I noticed was Radio Row, and looking around, there wasn't really anyone that I recognized, other than Barrerio. From there we left for Nicollet Mall at around 4-5, and it actually wasn't nearly as busy as I was expecting. There were certainly a lot of people, but I was expecting massive State Fair-like crowds, and that wasn't the case at all. I assume the cold kept a lot of people away. Anyway, I wasn't overly impressed by everything there. We checked out the Super Bowl shop, where most Polos were like $80+, and hats were all $35+. Otherwise you could do a few novelty things like trying to make a diving catch into a pit. We came across the Tostitos hut, and discovered that Case Keenum was going to be there in about 15 minutes, so we hopped in the short line and got in without too much of a wait. They interviewed him for about 20 minutes, then had him do a nacho creation contest against someone from the crowd. So it was pretty cool being about 10 feet away from him the whole time, without the place being too packed. That was definitely the highlight of the night. Otherwise, not too much else exciting there tonight. I know there's some certain things that are only going to be there tomorrow (upside-down world or something?), but nothing special other than seeing Keenum.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah, I would imagine the cold makes it so a lot less people are milling around town and walking on the streets. Would probably be a lot more people if it were 20-30 instead of single digits.

I'll be curious to see what it's like tomorrow night. I think we're going to be on Washington, north of the stadium, and eventually over to West Bank/Seven Corners area, but I will want to at least check out Nicollet Mall just to see what it's like.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I was once told by a guy that because someone's Nissan NISMO GT-R has "all wheel drive", that it should be fine in the snow. Yeah.
With the right rims and snow tires, it sure would be. Without? Not so much.

All wheel drive can do amazing things, but without the right shoes on, you can throw it out the window for all the good it will do you.

Check out this 500hp S4 in the snow...

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Going to Vegas this weekend, and the cheapest tickets to a Knights game are like $160+fees on Stubhub. Pretty crazy market down there, made even tougher with the success they're having I'm sure.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
With the right rims and snow tires, it sure would be. Without? Not so much.

All wheel drive can do amazing things, but without the right shoes on, you can throw it out the window for all the good it will do you.

Check out this 500hp S4 in the snow...

If the car isn't set up high enough, then it doesn't matter, either. You can have the best tires in the world, and if they don't touch the ground because the car is being help up on the snow, then it doesn't matter.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
If the car isn't set up high enough, then it doesn't matter, either. You can have the best tires in the world, and if they don't touch the ground because the car is being help up on the snow, then it doesn't matter.

Buy a new 70" tv. Take tv out of the box (this step is very important). Tape the box to the front of your car. Instant snowplow... :help:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The ride height only matters if the snow gets deep enough for it to matter in the first place.

Most high powered sports cars, you'd avoid winter conditions completely because rear wheel drive and wide tires on snow is a very bad equation. If you put AWD into the mix, and put the right shoes on, you can make that AWD sports car pretty good in relative snow depth for the car height to still be a very good driving car is all I'm saying.

That S4 in the previous video is a lowered car vs standard - and the standard is already pretty low for a sports sedan, and you can see 12" of snow was no problem for it what-so-ever.

Yes, a GT-R is even lower, so likely 12" of snow would be a bad idea for that car, but 6-8", it would likely still be very good with the right shoes.

Check out this ultra-low Audi R8 in the snow...

But... not all AWD systems are created equal either. Some are much better than others, though all CAN be good in the snow, some can be GREAT.

As seen here.... quattro (Audi) vs XDrive (BMW) vs 4Matic (Mercedes)

Last edited:

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Going to Vegas this weekend, and the cheapest tickets to a Knights game are like $160+fees on Stubhub. Pretty crazy market down there, made even tougher with the success they're having I'm sure.

Yeah, I've got a buddy who's going to Vegas in a few weeks and looked into tickets on a weekend and they were about the same as you're looking at. His brother was in Vegas recently during the middle of the week and said that tickets were available for around $40 a pop.

I've heard they're pretty fun games to go to though, so hopefully you can go without breaking the bank.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
What a way to start the morning.
-School was canceled for the kid (snowday). So the automated message from the school district rings my house phone at 5am and wakes up the house.
-Get the snowblower out and it has a flat tire. No biggie, just turn on the the air compressor and fill it up. Nope, the inner-tube sprung a leak. Thankfully, I had a spare one. I couldn't get the tire/rim off the snowblower, so I carry it into the kitchen, hoping it's just frozen. No joy. 90 mins later I finally get the tire all set. I don't recommend repairing a tire while it's still attached to anything, pita getting it back on the rim.
-Carry the snowblower back outside. Pull the cord and it breaks on the first half pull. It's an easy fix, if you have some rope that will work. I didn't have any rope. Long story short my kid now is missing a lace on one of her skates, and my snowblower's pull-cord is pink.

I hope everyone is having a better start to their day than I did.

Reactions: TaLoN

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Yeah, I've got a buddy who's going to Vegas in a few weeks and looked into tickets on a weekend and they were about the same as you're looking at. His brother was in Vegas recently during the middle of the week and said that tickets were available for around $40 a pop.

I've heard they're pretty fun games to go to though, so hopefully you can go without breaking the bank.
Looks like we won't be going this time unless they drop big time on game day. Oh well, I'll definitely get back to one at done point.

What a way to start the morning.
-School was canceled for the kid (snowday). So the automated message from the school district rings my house phone at 5am and wakes up the house.
-Get the snowblower out and it has a flat tire. No biggie, just turn on the the air compressor and fill it up. Nope, the inner-tube sprung a leak. Thankfully, I had a spare one. I couldn't get the tire/rim off the snowblower, so I carry it into the kitchen, hoping it's just frozen. No joy. 90 mins later I finally get the tire all set. I don't recommend repairing a tire while it's still attached to anything, pita getting it back on the rim.
-Carry the snowblower back outside. Pull the cord and it breaks on the first half pull. It's an easy fix, if you have some rope that will work. I didn't have any rope. Long story short my kid now is missing a lace on one of her skates, and my snowblower's pull-cord is pink.

I hope everyone is having a better start to their day than I did.

Ouch! The prefect storm. Hard to start any worse than that.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Well I ended up getting to the Vegas game last night and sat center ice in like the 5th row. Pretty cool. There were a ton of Flyers fans there, a lot of Eagles chants, and believe it or not, I saw two mock Skol chants out in the concourse without even seeing any Vikings fans. Hard to like Philly fans.

Anyway, the crowd there was great, as well as the presentation. It was a bit more electric, compared to Wild games which are pretty tame these days. Different audiences obviously, but I feel like the Wild could learn a bit from other stadiums for presentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad