OT: General OT Stuff (Infinity+3)(No Politics/Spoilers, see OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
It's not a false narrative, it's an objective fact. It doesn't matter if the CEO and CRO are women, the company promotes toxicity so at best these women are complicit. At worst, they are taking advantage of this toxic culture to cash in through publicity.

https://deadspin.com/barstool-sports-editor-in-chief-calls-16-year-old-cheer-1821059645
https://deadspin.com/barstool-radio-host-cant-resist-calling-17-year-old-oly-1822974775
https://deadspin.com/barstool-employee-unhappy-about-being-filmed-in-the-sho-1822776835

I'd rather not consume content from a company so devoid of decency.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Have you even consumed any of their content or are you just basing this on articles from their competitors? Obviously Deadspin, who has a longstanding feud with Barstool, will write a hit piece on anything that Barstool does.

The women that run the company are well respected, including their CRO being named part of the 25 most powerful women in sports by Forbes.

Dave Portnoy is an asshat and a pig but that doesn’t mean the entire company is.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
ESPN Cancels Barstool Sports Partnership After One Episode

ESPN cut ties with them immediately after finding out what type of company they are. There are plenty of other articles from different sources detailing their transgressions if you’re unhappy with Deadspin (and you haven’t really refuted the claims of Deadspin either and there is plenty of audio to prove it).

And just because two of their executives are women doesn’t mean their company doesn’t have a toxic masculinity problem. Not really sure why you’re defending them so vehemently. Maybe some of their content is good, I really don’t know. But I do know their company culture is regressive as shit and I want no part of supporting it, which is why I made my original comment on it being a cesspool.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
You really think ESPN wouldn’t have done their homework before giving out a contract to them? It was the internal backlash from a bunch of their on air personalities for stupid comments made by Portnoy years ago and jealousy that the Pardon My Take guys were getting a show before others in house.

I’m not defending Barstool as a whole, I’m defending some of their content that clearly you haven’t listened to. Pardon My Take is a damn good podcast to listen to. They get athletes from across all sports to open up to them and give some great interviews (see Landon Donovan, Bill Walton, Lane Johnson, Johnny Manziel, and most recently Denny Hamlin). Their Spittin Chicklets podcast isn’t as great as PMT but it’s still a fun listen when they have old players on to tell stories. Mike Commodore and Biz have told great stories about what goes on inside locker rooms and outside their playing lives.

It’s like I said before, you have to weed through the content to find the good stuff

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
ESPN Cancels Barstool Sports Partnership After One Episode

ESPN cut ties with them immediately after finding out what type of company they are. There are plenty of other articles from different sources detailing their transgressions if you’re unhappy with Deadspin (and you haven’t really refuted the claims of Deadspin either and there is plenty of audio to prove it).

And just because two of their executives are women doesn’t mean their company doesn’t have a toxic masculinity problem. Not really sure why you’re defending them so vehemently. Maybe some of their content is good, I really don’t know. But I do know their company culture is regressive as **** and I want no part of supporting it, which is why I made my original comment on it being a cesspool.

Normally agree with you on these types of things but not so much here. Barstool has some dopes that say dumb things (they've been a company for 15 years, so of course they do) but they're more or less harmless. They're typically recipients of exactly what you're doing, actually, and that is people cherry-picking isolated incidents -- typically from the past -- to paint it as a regressive cesspool. They're certainly not for everyone but there are far worse companies out there. In fact, I'd argue that ESPN is/has been more of a toxic workplace for women than Barstool. There are dozens and dozens of reports of female personalities being sexually harassed at ESPN and countless more reports of ESPN female talent (or potential) talent being told they'd have to use their sexuality to advance their careers.

Barstool is what it is. People can take it or leave it. What I hate is holier-than-thou companies/people who talk the talk but don't walk the walk.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Normally agree with you on these types of things but not so much here. Barstool has some dopes that say dumb things (they've been a company for 15 years, so of course they do) but they're more or less harmless. They're typically recipients of exactly what you're doing, actually, and that is people cherry-picking isolated incidents -- typically from the past -- to paint it as a regressive cesspool. They're certainly not for everyone but there are far worse companies out there. In fact, I'd argue that ESPN is/has been more of a toxic workplace for women than Barstool. There are dozens and dozens of reports of female personalities being sexually harassed at ESPN and countless more reports of ESPN female talent (or potential) talent being told they'd have to use their sexuality to advance their careers.

Barstool is what it is. People can take it or leave it. What I hate is holier-than-thou companies/people who talk the talk but don't walk the walk.

Agreed with your comments on ESPN. They certainly should get just as much if not more shit than Barstool over their corporate culture.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Finally going to see Black Panther tonight. It better live up to the hype that has been set by all the reviews and the 97%! rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Usually don't judge off of the Rotten Tomatoes rating (It always pops up in the Fandango app) but I've rarely seen main stream movies get that high

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Finally going to see Black Panther tonight. It better live up to the hype that has been set by all the reviews and the 97%! rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Usually don't judge off of the Rotten Tomatoes rating (It always pops up in the Fandango app) but I've rarely seen main stream movies get that high
I thought it was fantastic, for whatever that's worth.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Black Panther was what I expected and then some. One of Marvel's best "origin story" movies to date and arguably their best. It's one of the few movies that I've gone to in the past few years where I didn't realize that I was there for over 2 hours.

Even more excited for Avengers Infinity War now

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Nervous and excited at the same time, but it's the best move for my career and my future. Over/under 6 months for the Leafs homers to drive me nuts when talking about hockey? :sarcasm: :laugh:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Under. I'll give it a month. Also, congrats. Toronto is super cool. Very pricey but very fun.

They offered me a good salary for a starting position in engineering. I wouldn't have made the move otherwise :)

Toronto seems like a fun city for a young guy like me, and it's still close enough to Montreal that I can travel back during a long week-end.

I'm moving to the suburbs, in Mississauga.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
They offered me a good salary for a starting position in engineering. I wouldn't have made the move otherwise :)

Toronto seems like a fun city for a young guy like me, and it's still close enough to Montreal that I can travel back during a long week-end.

I'm moving to the suburbs, in Mississauga.

Don't know anything about the 'burbs... when I worked in finance all my clients were downtown so I stayed at the InterContinental right next to the ACC. I loved traveling there.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad