OT: General OT Stuff (Infinity+3)(No Politics/Spoilers, see OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Previous: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1743243

Remember, this is an OT thread in comparison to Caps hockey, but HF wants to keep the general political talk confined to the politics forum:

10) Off-Topic Posting: Posts are to be on the topic of the board description where they're posted. Off Topic posts may be moved or closed at the moderators discretion. We do not allow homework threads. All political discussion is to be done on the Political Discussion Forum.

Do not post political discussion in this thread. Political overlap is possible in some cases, at HF discretion, but run of the mill election talk is expressly directed to the politics forum.

Do not post spoilers of any kind regarding recent TV shows or movies. That includes plot, twists, mood, references, alive/dead comments, or anything else that might offer clues regarding what to expect, excepting a personal thumbs up or down. If you want to post more information than that use white text or a spoiler tag. If you use white text remember your quoted text will show the spoiler. If you quote a spoiler, edit it out. Preview all posts first. If you really want to talk to someone about something in detail without extending these courtesies to the public then send them a private message.

Last edited by a moderator:

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Usiel, that looks amazing. $5K is way out of my league in any case. $2K is probably my ceiling and I'd rather stay well under that.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Usiel, that looks amazing. $5K is way out of my league in any case. $2K is probably my ceiling and I'd rather stay well under that.

I'm an admitted videophile nerd so probably in the one percentile that has no problem spending green for that. Oh and being a confirmed bachelor doesn't hurt either :laugh:.

But for a more regular buyer I would go with a 4k TV for the future (if you like blurays you might want to see if it will support HDR), go for a size slightly larger then you think you need, also read the reviews of how well it upscales non-4k content. Also you might want to verify the HDMI inputs versions..just to say ahead of the curve 2.2 is good.

Thats another thing I have to remember when I do upgrade will have to do the same for my receiver :(.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I honestly don't see the point of investing in a 4K TV. Aside of high-end gaming rigs (which you'd probably run through a true 4K monitor rather than a TV), there's almost zero 4K content out there. Our broadcast infrastructure isn't built to handle widespread 4K broadcasts, either (heck, a very large portion of our HD broadcasts are still 720p). By the time the broadcast infrastructure catches up with the increased bandwidth demands, I suspect they'll skip straight to 8K.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
There's no reason to spend large $ on a TV right now. 4k is coming down fast....standards are still being fought over. I'd wait 1-2 years before a purchase over 2k. I just bought a 70" for over the fireplace that rocks....next is the new projector for the man cave.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
There's no reason to spend large $ on a TV right now. 4k is coming down fast....standards are still being fought over. I'd wait 1-2 years before a purchase over 2k. I just bought a 70" for over the fireplace that rocks....next is the new projector for the man cave.

So 1-2 years seems to be the horizon. I can surely wait that long and probably should. At least my bank account would appreciate it.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
So I'm going to jump into the time machine and head back to 2007 for a blu-ray player. Been looking at and reading reviews ( AVS forum, Cnet, etc. )and such on many of them, and what I'm kinda leaning towards is the Sony bdp s6500. Anybody out there have that model, and if so, thoughts?

it seems as if all the players in my price range ( under 150 bucks ) are nothing more than big roku boxes with a BD drive.

I dont care about streaming or how many apps come preloaded. What I do care about is pix quality, reliabity, load speed and noise during playback. I'd like a player to be 3d and have 4k upsampling, even though I don't own a 3d ready or ultra HD tv.

I'm old school, born before the Clinton administration, so i have no problem opening a jewel box, pressing the eject button, etc., heck...i even have one of those things with an arm and a round plate that spins really fast and if you put a black thing on it noise happens! lol

Ive looked at various other Sammy, lg, pioneer, Panasonic etc ones, but they all seem to have more negative reviews than Sony and get ripped about things I take issue with, specifically noise and reliability.

Oppo seems to be the "go to" players, darbee ones especially, but I ain't spending 500 clams on a machine that'll be "obsolete" in a year.

Thoughts on non Sony models are welcome, providing they're machines purchased lately enough that they're still on shelves today. Thanks

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
So I'm going to jump into the time machine and head back to 2007 for a blu-ray player. Been looking at and reading reviews ( AVS forum, Cnet, etc. )and such on many of them, and what I'm kinda leaning towards is the Sony bdp s6500. Anybody out there have that model, and if so, thoughts?

it seems as if all the players in my price range ( under 150 bucks ) are nothing more than big roku boxes with a BD drive.

I dont care about streaming or how many apps come preloaded. What I do care about is pix quality, reliabity, load speed and noise during playback. I'd like a player to be 3d and have 4k upsampling, even though I don't own a 3d ready or ultra HD tv.

I'm old school, born before the Clinton administration, so i have no problem opening a jewel box, pressing the eject button, etc., heck...i even have one of those things with an arm and a round plate that spins really fast and if you put a black thing on it noise happens! lol

Ive looked at various other Sammy, lg, pioneer, Panasonic etc ones, but they all seem to have more negative reviews than Sony and get ripped about things I take issue with, specifically noise and reliability.

Oppo seems to be the "go to" players, darbee ones especially, but I ain't spending 500 clams on a machine that'll be "obsolete" in a year.

Thoughts on non Sony models are welcome, providing they're machines purchased lately enough that they're still on shelves today. Thanks

Born before Clinton administration is old school, what does that make people born before the Nixon administration...

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
Guys, is there a possibility do receive fan pack from Caps? Honestly, Caps are the only team which didn't even respond to my email request :laugh:

Maybe some of you guys has an experience with fan packs? I mean European fans, because it's way more difficult to receive fan pack when you live in Europe, than in US/Canada

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Born before Clinton administration is old school, what does that make people born before the Nixon administration...

Harold_Wilson's_grave._St._Mary's,_Old_Town_-_geograph.org.uk_-_934336.jpg

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
So 1-2 years seems to be the horizon. I can surely wait that long and probably should. At least my bank account would appreciate it.

If this is more of just an optional upgrade (versus "crap my tv just broke") yeah definitely hold off for OLED 4k. 4k bluray players are only just starting to come out this fall and streaming is pretty limited. Television manufactures definitely pushing the 4k thing. I don't mind being more of a physical media guy as it keeps bluray somewhat relevant

MoJoSauce

Apr 3, 2011
NNK
If anyone else still watches, worst/saddest TWD episode in a long time

That scene you are referencing was particularly brutal. That being said I am not sure what we think happened actually happened.

Jeeze reading this back this is one vague post

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
That scene you are referencing was particularly brutal. That being said I am not sure what we think happened actually happened.

Jeeze reading this back this is one vague post

Had the same thought at first, but it is an extremely extremely extremely tough situation the character is in if what I thought happened didn't actually happen.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Wow Walking Dead. Yeah it DID happen according to the Showrunner's comments I read....

Very sad....huge loss IMO.

MoJoSauce

Apr 3, 2011
NNK
Really? I didn't get that vibe at all from his comments.

I havent watched yet it...but until I see the body...aint buying it.

I mean with a mob like that you would figure they would just keep on eating. Kind of weird they left that character off the in memnoriam of during talking head.

Not to mention the other character that seemed to be in some serious trouble.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
If the said character we are talking about is still alive and manages to escape that herd, the show would lose all credibility for me. There's no way they could manage to get out of the situation they are in.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If the said character we are talking about is still alive and manages to escape that herd, the show would lose all credibility for me. There's no way they could manage to get out of the situation they are in.

Absolutely right. Now if he doesn't get knocked off there's hope, but we've seen other bodies completely consumed for all intents and purposes. There would be scraps left IMO. Doubt we see a body or even a walker version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad