OT: General OT MEGATHREAD (No Politics) - Read OP before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
You’d need to make a pretty convincing argument that the consequences won’t be bad for 2 reasons:

1. As it stands most of the predictions from several years ago have actually been revised because they were too conservative. Things are now predicted to be worse than previously imagined.

2. Understating the problem and being wrong about it would lead to disastrous consequences. Why not err on the side of caution especially when the scientific consensus is saying we need to act now?

I’m not saying I believe it or don’t currently. I’m simply saying that in the late 60’s early 70’s the climate catastrophe predictions of where we would be today aren’t anywhere remotely close to where we actually are.

Given that why should I assume the climate catastrophe predictions of today for 50 years down the road will be accurate?

Again, regardless of where you come down in this argument, you can’t see this point? Better safe than sorry at a certain price point? Sure. Better safe than sorry at any price point? I’m not sure I see that as so obvious.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I’m not saying I believe it or don’t currently. I’m simply saying that in the late 60’s early 70’s the climate catastrophe predictions of where we would be today aren’t anywhere remotely close to where we actually are.

Given that why should I assume the climate catastrophe predictions of today for 50 years down the road will be accurate?

Again, regardless of where you come down in this argument, you can’t see this point? Better safe than sorry at a certain price point? Sure. Better safe than sorry at any price point? I’m not sure I see that as so obvious.

See my previous post. This is not 50 years ago.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
See my previous post. This is not 50 years ago.

Sure but you don’t think 50 years ago they weren’t saying the exact same ‘now we have the technology and know what we are talking about’ things?

I guess I just think it is a little narcissistic to be saying whether it was global warming with mass starvation and half the planet’s land masses no longer being inhabitable or global cooling predictions that those guys were fools but my generation knows what the heck it is talking about.

Like a tremendous amount of things occurring today I’m pretty sure people in 50 years will look back on today’s predictions and shake their heads.

I’m not saying don’t continue to make advances and try to do as much as we reasonably can with what we know and have now. I have middle and high school age children and very much care about their future. But I definitely don’t buy into the if we don’t do X by Y then Z catastrophe predictions of today and thus my reasonable efforts bar is likely lower than many others around here.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Sure but you don’t think 50 years ago they weren’t saying the exact same ‘now we have the technology and know what we are talking about’ things?

I guess I just think it is a little narcissistic to be saying whether it was global warming with mass starvation and half the planet’s land masses no longer being inhabitable or global cooling predictions that those guys were fools but my generation knows what the heck it is talking about.

Like a tremendous amount of things occurring today I’m pretty sure people in 50 years will look back on today’s predictions and shake their heads.

I’m not saying don’t continue to make advances and try to do as much as we reasonably can with what we know and have now. I have middle and high school age children and very much care about their future. But I definitely don’t buy into the if we don’t do X by Y then Z catastrophe predictions of today and thus my reasonable efforts bar is likely lower than many others around here.

Ignoring your complete refusal to acknowledge scientific consensus, why would maximum effort to address climate catastrophe be bad at all?

It’s probably too political to discuss much further but there are plenty of proposals that would absolutely transform the economy and help the nation’s poorest people, especially in rural areas that are being destroyed currently by rampant unchecked capitalism. Addressing the climate boldly would not only save us if scientists are indeed correct, but would create jobs and make people happier. There’s no real downside.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

No comparison between 50 years ago vs today in tech, knowledge, resources, talent, etc.

Where do you set the line when it comes to scientific knowledge? Is anything true?

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Scientific knowledge is paid by guys competing in global economics.

Thats how Tesla becomes good for ecology which it isnt in reality (its just export of all toxic sides of production to the third world).

Anti-pollution movement emerged as a way to make dumb governments lose more in economical competition. It works.

Scientists are corrupt.

Fake news winning.

We call that phenomenon "British scientists" in Russia

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
395940_842169154111_1010664_37712606_1688554057_n11.jpg

Last edited:

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
If you are into this story there is a documentary called the 24 Hour War that you will enjoy.

I believe I’ve seen it. At least I think I have. I’ve seen a documentary on this just don’t remember the name. It’s a fascinating story and more appealing to me then reboots and comic book movies.

Sep 19, 2008
All the Giants around here have sold out of Ovi O cereal :laugh:

TBF I think they carried like 60 boxes per store so not surprising enterprising fans would snatch them up immediately. People were in line at 5:50 AM to get those things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad