OT: General OT MEGATHREAD (No Politics) - Read OP before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

Not an environmental nut but for those of you like me looking to reduce your use of plastic this is an interesting alternative.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I accidentally switched HF to the desktop version on my phone, and I can't figure out how to go back to the mobile version. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Jun 15, 2007
I accidentally switched HF to the desktop version on my phone, and I can't figure out how to go back to the mobile version. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

I dont think hf has skins anymore. Just mobile and desktop. Is your browser in desktop mode? Check settings. If that doesnt work you need to delete the cookies for hf.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
The lighting/cinematography was a giant mush. Could hardly tell what was happening most of the time. They chickened out on having any major characters die in a battle they’ve spent years building up to, which is lame. Not being afraid to knock off key players has been a hallmark of the series which has made it thrilling and unpredictable. All the redemption stories... Ho Huuuuummmm!

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Say whaaaaaat?!? You’re crazy. It was awesome.
Awesome to watch. Not as awesome in retrospect.

On the lighting issues. The darkness absolutely added confusion and anxiety to the episode. I'm sure that was intentional. What likely wasn't intentional (or anticipated) was the artifacting created by cheap HD compression by the vast majority of providers (HBO GO among the worst). At the viewing party I attended, we switched form their HBO Go stream to my casting through hulu and there was a significant improvement. It'll shine when it's on blu ray

Reactions: calicapsfan

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Well, the episode in a vacuum was great. I don't like the battle episodes too much but this one was excellent. Almost everything was done well, particularly the Dothraki's burning swords slowly being extinguished after they charged into the darkness... that was an incredible scene. And the score was great.

What actually sucked is what this episode did to the story. So the Night King didn't really matter that much in the end? From the first scene of the series up until now, they've progressively implied that the Iron Throne wasn't the real focus and that everything hinged on destroying the army of the dead. Now the Iron Throne actually is the endgame? Alright then. Also, all episode long I'd been assuming Bran would do something to help against the Night King but it seems as though he didn't. What's the point of Bran as a character now? It doesn't seem in-character for him to care much about the fight against Cersei, so what now? Plenty of questions left unanswered that I don't think will be answered in the next three episodes. Is there no more explanation regarding the Night King's motivations other than he just wants everyone to die? If that's what it's going to be left at, then that's just a poorly written villain.

My hope for the remainder of the series is that we find out more about the Night King from Bran. They can retroactively make that story arc more viable if they don't just leave it as a 'big battle in the past'. I assume we're going to learn that Bran was actually doing something with his abilities when he was next to the Godswood... hopefully that leads to something more interesting.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Well, the episode in a vacuum was great. I don't like the battle episodes too much but this one was excellent. Almost everything was done well, particularly the Dothraki's burning swords slowly being extinguished after they charged into the darkness... that was an incredible scene. And the score was great.

What actually sucked is what this episode did to the story. So the Night King didn't really matter that much in the end? From the first scene of the series up until now, they've progressively implied that the Iron Throne wasn't the real focus and that everything hinged on destroying the army of the dead. Now the Iron Throne actually is the endgame? Alright then. Also, all episode long I'd been assuming Bran would do something to help against the Night King but it seems as though he didn't. What's the point of Bran as a character now? It doesn't seem in-character for him to care much about the fight against Cersei, so what now? Plenty of questions left unanswered that I don't think will be answered in the next three episodes. Is there no more explanation regarding the Night King's motivations other than he just wants everyone to die? If that's what it's going to be left at, then that's just a poorly written villain.

My hope for the remainder of the series is that we find out more about the Night King from Bran. They can retroactively make that story arc more viable if they don't just leave it as a 'big battle in the past'. I assume we're going to learn that Bran was actually doing something with his abilities when he was next to the Godswood... hopefully that leads to something more interesting.
I thought the battle scenes were typically not done well, but I definitely agree that the Dothraki scene was a high-point filming-wise.

Also agree with the story issues. As it stands now, the battle against the dead was basically nothing and had no meaningful consequences. I too hope they have some plan to make it matter. Otherwise, Cersi was always the real villain and this was all filler...

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
So... should I start watching GoT? Saw one episode where the dude got gold poured on his head and was like:

image.jpg

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
So... should I start watching GoT? Saw one episode where the dude got gold poured on his head and was like:

image.jpg

Your loss....and it is a loss if you don’t.

It’s extremely “low magic” for fantasy. More political intrigue in midevil times. It’s some of the best “TV” ever made, but if it’s not your thing it’s not your thing.

I’ll respond to the episode stuff later. Heading back from NYC.

Reactions: calicapsfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->