OT: General OT MEGATHREAD (No Politics) Pt. 2 - Read OP before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I enjoy watching them, just not in the middle of the night
Hey I understand, and I wish some neighbors were a little more considerate. But I also think it helps to be a little more patient now a days and going after fireworks on the fourth seems a little “Karen” to me

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Hey I understand, and I wish some neighbors were a little more considerate. But I also think it helps to be a little more patient now a days and going after fireworks on the fourth seems a little “Karen” to me

So you're okay with dangerous full-size illegal fireworks exploding just over your house, after quiet hours, with your pets and sleeping kids being disturbed or panicked?

That's just being a nitpicky nosey neighbor according to you.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
So you're okay with dangerous full-size illegal fireworks exploding just over your house, after quiet hours, with your pets and sleeping kids being disturbed or panicked?

That's just being a nitpicky nosey neighbor according to you.
First, illegal is different in different states, and I wouldn’t promote people doing illegal things. But no I didn’t make a deal out of it last night when neighbors were shooting them well into the night. It’s the fourth, and my kids and roof were fine. As far as pets go, I don’t have any sympathy for pet owners. If you choose to bring an animal into a home then it’s up to the owners to handle it, not a neighbor.

Reactions: Eirikrautha

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
First, illegal is different in different states, and I wouldn’t promote people doing illegal things. But no I didn’t make a deal out of it last night when neighbors were shooting them well into the night. It’s the fourth, and my kids and roof were fine. As far as pets go, I don’t have any sympathy for pet owners. If you choose to bring an animal into a home then it’s up to the owners to handle it, not a neighbor.

Wow. That take on other peoples' pets is...something.

Do you think we don't know the fireworks laws in our own states? In MD all you can have are basically sparklers. Again, the people in my neighborhood blow up huge, commercial fireworks...the kind you see at 4th of July shows where everyone sits in lawn chairs and watches from a safe distance. Except they do that shit in their back yard, and essentially ours, barely above roof height. Very illegal, dangerous, and disruptive especially late at night.

Plus they do this shit for like a whole week, not just one night. Hearing explosions right now.

It seems like you just don't have a problem with the activity and don't understand how others could. So really it's your problem that you find it to be "karening".

Last edited:

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Wow. That take on other peoples' pets is...something.

Do you think we don't know the fireworks laws in our own states? In MD all you can have are basically sparklers. Again, the people in my neighborhood blow up huge, commercial fireworks...the kind you see at 4th of July shows where everyone sits in lawn chairs and watches from a safe distance. Except they do that shit in their back yard, and essentially ours, barely above roof height. Very illegal, dangerous, and disruptive especially late at night.

It seems like you just don't have a problem with the activity and don't understand how others could. So really it's your problem that you find it to be "karening".
Read my previous post, I don’t think people should be inconsiderate and shoot them off late. I wouldn’t out of respect for my neighbors. All I said was I wouldn’t make a big deal about it on the fourth. If this was Aug 17th I’d go ask them to stop. As neighbors we should try to give a little especially after the last 1.5 years. And yes it is “Karening”. What’s next? To many pumpkins on Halloween? Lights too bright at Christmas?

Reactions: Eirikrautha

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
We don’t do fireworks. But….I think after 11, no more fireworks. Be considerate. It’s excessive much later IMO.

However, (and I am both a father and avid dog person), I don’t think I particularly care about pets or kids prior to that time. /shrug

Last edited:

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I’ll stop shooting off ‘illegal’ fireworks on the 4th of July when every other asshole with a dog stops bringing them on planes as an emotional support animal… ;)

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Yeah such a shame the Jackets just lost a 24 year old netminder because of too many pumpkins. What a tragedy.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Never understood the fascination with fireworks. Personally I like them and I like watching them for an hour with my kids and they normally play with poppers and sparklers but I don’t get wanting to pull off your own “professional” show or setting them off for the entire week, and it’s a real dick move to be setting them off after midnight.

My issue with setting them off in neighborhoods is that people generally don’t know what they’re doing and at least where we live, there are a lot of tall trees, and if it’s dry and some idiot makes a mistake and shoots one into the trees we could have a real clusterf*** to deal with. Fire them off over water or in a large empty parking lot so you don’t risk starting a fire.

Another issue I have with shooting them off in neighborhoods is there are subsets of people who really don’t like them and it’s inconsiderate to them. Many veterans hate the 4th of July. It triggers PTSD and flashbacks for a lot of people.

So all in all, my opinion: the small stuff in your own neighborhood is fine but if you have to put on your own show, take the commercial grade shit somewhere else where people can “opt in” to joining the experience instead of being forced to listen to them.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Besides the fact that people were setting them off at a dog park here, which is f***ing nuts, we also live in a major wildfire zone in the midst of an historic drought. So yeah, every random firework is a potential catastrophe. It's easy to say "no big deal" but also looks like uncontrolled fireworks killed the Jackets young goalie. It's bad shit--mostly because people are morons.

Reactions: g00n

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Freedom from the King of England as a country is not the same as personal freedom to do whatever you want whenever you want.

Sep 19, 2008
Fireworks are okay but I've never fired them off

Have a new house so saw them from the porch for the first time for a while. There were other houses obstructing but most of them made it up to the sky it was cool for about 10 minutes then I went back inside.

At some point around 11 / 12 I've got to sleep so stop firing them off

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I heard a dog got him, we should probably put them all down…. Seriously though we get it. You hate fireworks.

Another shit take and not what I said at all. I guess that's how you have to parse this to try and make sense of it.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Another shit take and not what I said at all. I guess that's how you have to parse this to try and make sense of it.

it was a joke dude, get over yourself. You were complaining about fireworks being too loud on the fourth, and got pissy when somebody typed lol. Then to save face you started making this into “firework safety” when nobody has ever said we should just shoot off whatever fireworks we want whenever we want. But continue to build that straw man to fight.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
it was a joke dude, get over yourself. You were complaining about fireworks being too loud on the fourth, and got pissy when somebody typed lol. Then to save face you started making this into “firework safety” when nobody has ever said we should just shoot off whatever fireworks we want whenever we want. But continue to build that straw man to fight.

Have you ever heard of Schrodinger's Douchebag? LOL JUST KIDDING!

I never complained about how loud they are. A licensed fireworks show is fine in the right place at the right time. Again, for the last time, this is several days of illegal, huge Class A fireworks in very dangerous areas late at night. It's not complaining about how loud fireworks are on the 4th, or hating fireworks, or calling the cops on anyone, or Karening, so you can stop being outraged. Your swaggery patriotism is duly noted, brave warrior.

And I'm not sure why you keep talking about "after the last 1.5 years" or "these days". What does that even mean in this context? Everyone has suffered. That means people get to be dicks to their neighbors all of a sudden, and risk setting the neighborhood on fire, or blow someone up, because FREEDOM? Please elaborate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad