OT: General OT MEGATHREAD (No Politics) Pt. 2 - Read OP before posting

Discussion in 'Washington Capitals' started by Sam Spade, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Sam Spade Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    Do not post political discussion in this thread.

Post TV and Movie discussion in the TV and Movie thread.

Last edited by moderator AlexBrovechkin8: Apr 2, 2020
  2. kicksavedave Not be suck again this year?

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    Home Page:
    My son has been watching Star Wars Lego. This morning he told me "I want the Force... how do I get the Force".

I told him he had to train to be a Jedi Knight. He said "OK, I will become a Jedi Knight then".

Now what?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  3. g00n t0m WiLs0n PhAnBoI

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    Fair enough, but we shouldn't really care about many of the the excuses or obstacles to reform given the stakes. It's not unreasonable to insist on a higher standard and to pay a bit of a price to get there.

4. Raikkonen Dumb guy

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    We probably are biased in Russia (I assume youre Russian).

We dont have much problems with racism.

Black ppl in Russia arent a problem at all. Most we are dealing with are students from Africa or some other ppl with money and purpose. They dont live here without reason because its cold, you know.

I live close to the dorms now (of my alma mater, mind you). Black guys here was a thing long before I became a student. First it was unusual, just by appearance, but I never had any bad experience with them. Also, I never had heard anyone speaking bad things about guys with black skin. Here, in my city, I cant remember any, honestly.

Because I guess those guys arent from poor families, so they are raised and sent to Russia to not mess around, but to get a profession and come back to Africa to help ppl further. This is a norm in Russia. And they behave just like others young students generally.

Surely, there are accidents on soccer matches or smth (which gets in the media), but those are generally dumb and uneducated ppl who shout dumb things. We call black ppl 'negr' (I guess because of Hispanic negra). It doesnt have negative sound in Russian. They are black, we call them with words for that in Russian, without negativity.

Now back to ppl and their poverty and behaviour. Im sure most of Africans arent wealthy. What do I know about how they live there? Not much. Can I decide if they are good or bad or how they behave? f*** no. I just dont know enough. Should I be biased against them? I am not, I have no reason. Am I afraid? No.

Now back to US. Ive met ppl telling me not to go to certain areas, especially in the evening. Even in DC. Because its not safe. Could it be because of some criminals' skin color? I doubt it.

Its about certain ppl who do bad things. Why do they resort to the crime?

Is racism a reason to any of this?

I guess ppl with black skin in different parts of the world are different. Who would have thought. You cant picture them all by one standard, that's just dumb. That's not depending on skin color.

Now back to Russia.

We have much more problems with ethnic bands, so we have much more bad words spoken about them commonly, and normal ppl from those minorities are being colored with bad flavour because of that.

We have lots of caucasian guys. They are more white than us because the white race literally is caucasian. But they look different (less white), and more aggressive ones here behave different. Many dont like those and are biased against normal ones from the same ethnic groups. Ive met many good caucasians, and I know the difference. It depends on the person (and the family which raised him). But in society (big cities especially) there are lots of anger against them.

There is history. There are negative memories. We have Russians-vs-Caucasians, you have White-vs-Black. I doubt thats racism.

I do think, too, that's more social and economical thing... but the paradigm of making everybody good and satisfied is not invented yet.

Is anyone actively seeking for solution? I dont think what we see is that. What we see is not yet a play, just some guys are looting because there is opportunity.

There are problems, there are no solutions yet. If there will be no big actors, everything will calm down to status quo soon enough.

5. shtorm2005 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    I didn't mean black people in general. I meant those who used to get money from welfare and crime. At my job, we have engineers with black skin, I doubt they ever deal with discrimination or racism. I have friends from France and Africa who are very good persons and hard workers, they have family and job and people around respect them for this. I guess I'm wrong that it's only about poverty and behaviour, it's also about laziness. States are so rich, that they prefer to pay a couple of thousands per month in exchange to not deal with a high level of crime which is caused by extreme poverty. I doubt you can compare them with the situation in Russia. Immigrants there, are hard workers. Probably they hate Russians, but they don't have enough rights and they have a family to feed, so you will never see them protest like this in Russia.

Even if you solve Police brutality, will it stop that population to use racism card? They will continue to have a bad reputation. It's only for them to change that.

6. CapitalsCupReality It’s Go Time!!

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    Devil’s Advocate, Caller of BS
    I feel it’s called being realistic. Reshaping a massive union entrenched labor force who does dangerous work under the most intense scrutiny ever for that profession is a massive massive task.

7. CapitalsCupReality It’s Go Time!!

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    Let’s eliminate the use of excessive force then worry about less important things like if people are still using the racism card.

In our lives, that’s probably not going away, but should we really care? Yes it can be misused, but it is what it is.

8. g00n t0m WiLs0n PhAnBoI

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    Reforming the police is not only realistic it's necessary. Other unions were thought impregnable in the past, too.

As a nation we should not be held hostage by anyone.

Working on the problems that create crime in the first place is another front in the war.

9. twabby Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    Just end the War on Drugs and disarm the cops and everything is instantly so, so much better. Societal ills such as income inequality leading to crime requires tougher questions being answered and addressed but seriously: just disarm and defund the cops, and stop making drugs a crime.

10. g00n t0m WiLs0n PhAnBoI

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    There are too many weapons in circulation to "disarm" the cops.

I'm not OK with shit like heroin being legal. f*** heroin.

11. CapitalsCupReality It’s Go Time!!

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    ‘you seem to be talking over everyone and not listening sometimes. I already said it needed to be reshaped but that it’s not as simple as saying it and just making it happen.

In addition to heroine....F Meth too....

12. shtorm2005 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    Funny fact, in "dictatorship" Russia, a policeman will think 10x times before shoot, while in democratic States, they will shoot 10x times before think.

13. twabby Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    I don’t think that’s true at all. Even if Americans as a whole have a lot of guns, the amount of times lethal force is actually necessary is tiny. And I’d carve out exceptions of course: trained SWAT teams who are called specifically to resolve incidents with armed suspects. It’s just not necessary for normal cops to have guns.

And I never said heroin should be freely available, I said we should end the war on drugs. Drug use should be treated as an illness, not as a crime to feed the prison pipeline. marijuana legalization, which has overwhelming support from the general public, would be an easy first step.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  14. shtorm2005 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    Why not just stop doing crime and lay down every time a cop asking for it? Can it eliminate the use of excessive force?

I mean, what did this guy expect?

15. g00n t0m WiLs0n PhAnBoI

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000

Why would anyone think the WORK is simple, even if the concept is being offhandedly hyperbolized as simple?

I read what you wrote and added my own emphasis.

16. g00n t0m WiLs0n PhAnBoI

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    Schrodinger's gunfight. The fact that the cops are armed may keep the gun play down. Remove their guns and the problems may increase. Drug trade isn't the only incentive to shoot someone. And it would be impractical to just keep SWAT teams at the ready all over the country, in case some unarmed cop needs backup.

17. CapitalsCupReality It’s Go Time!!

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    I feel like you’re just talking to talk now...moving on. Peace!

18. CapitalsCupReality It’s Go Time!!

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    ‘is that excessive? I agree, what did he expect?

19. WetHog Out to Lunch

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    “Defund the Police” is trending. Might be time for me to finally exercise my 2nd amendment right.

20. CapitalsCupReality It’s Go Time!!

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    same....not really me, but I can’t help consider it seriously.

21. kicksavedave Not be suck again this year?

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    Home Page:
    I'm curious what you mean by exercise your 2A right? Do you mean buy a gun just to have one for say, self defense? Or carry it around like some of the militia types have been doing lately in some areas? I assume you don't actually mean use your "arms" to keep the state free, which is the reason you have a 2A right at all ;)

22. twabby Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    On the other hand the fact that cops are basically a military occupying force now might make people think they need an arsenal themselves.

23. CapitalsCupReality It’s Go Time!!

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    self defense for the house for me....

24. g00n t0m WiLs0n PhAnBoI

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    I'm sure that will happen for some people, just as there are those on the other side who form political militias that paradoxically support and oppose the concept of central authority, usually depending on whether it benefits them.

Then the rest of us have to rely on unarmed cops to keep the peace between those groups, and other violent criminals? Nah.

How about we only have cops that are qualified to do the job instead. If only a small percentage of cops go rogue then there are clearly people capable of performing the duties without turning into a bad action movie.

Let's do that.

25. AlexBrovechkin8 Playoff chokers, they said.

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    I am glad you brought up this second point. It's a common misconception and one used by people in power who are in favor of keeping systematic oppression in place or those in power who are too lazy/ignorant to do their own research.

Ending the War on Drugs does not mean legalizing every drug and having no regulations on it's sale or distribution and having no penalties for having, selling, or using it. It means decriminalizing marijuana and expunging federal marijuana convictions and penalizing states with racially-disparate arrest or incarceration rates for marijuana-related crimes. It means ending mandatory minimums and "three strike rules" for non-violent offenders related to the possession or sale of marijuana which decimate communities of color. It means no longer allowing cops to make bullshit excuses to pull people over and then being able to use "the scent of marijuana" (which often times is a lie) to conduct unlawful searches, seizures, and detentions, mostly against black and brown people. It means removing funding from narcotics departments and the DEA who have entire departments dedicated to street-level policing which does nothing other than getting non-violent offenders perpetually caught up in the system and keeping our jails overcrowded with people who have no business of being in prison.

No one is saying you should be able to go to CVS and pick up some crystal meth or heroine. No one is saying you should be able to take a brick of weed to a park and open up shop. Weed was a legal and popular social and medical drug used primarily by white people until the 1930's when racist cops in Texas (shocker!) wanted a way to crack down on Mexican immigration and immigrants so they made up a bunch of lies about the drug to get it put on the books as an illegal substance. That it's still criminalized today is pretty remarkable given all we know about the adverse affects the laws have on our society and the benefits the drug has to offer.

twabby likes this.
  26. g00n t0m WiLs0n PhAnBoI

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000

Regarding your last paragraph some people are indeed saying those things, and they should be roundly shouted down.

Weed is legal or decriminalized in a lot of states and people are still being killed. I'm guessing armed drug raids for weed busts are probably way down nationally, and most of the armed narcotics enforcement is centered on the harder drugs. If those are still illegal then cops will still be armed due to the armed cartels.