Boston Bruins General Manager Don Sweeney discusses recent roster changes and preparations ahead of playoffs

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
Which old banned poster are you?
I am a new poster. Am i the only poster here who does not appreciate this general manager's failures. I am sorry if i was too negative, i guess it was just the trade deadline when general managers are in the spotlight. Most times, i will not be on the guy, it is every few months. C-, thats my grade. Few good things getting guys to sign and buy in. Carlo and Charlie. But sorry, his blunders have been huge. Huge obstacles that have hindered the team a great deal. That cant be denied. Other then that, trade deadline is over and i am ready for a run. I think we can beat everyone. Accept Washington. We will see.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I am a new poster. Am i the only poster here who does not appreciate this general manager's failures. I am sorry if i was too negative, i guess it was just the trade deadline when general managers are in the spotlight. Most times, i will not be on the guy, it is every few months. C-, thats my grade. Few good things getting guys to sign and buy in. Carlo and Charlie. But sorry, his blunders have been huge. Huge obstacles that have hindered the team a great deal. That cant be denied. Other then that, trade deadline is over and i am ready for a run. I think we can beat everyone. Accept Washington. We will see.

all good you can think however you feel. I think he’s had some huge boners myself. His contract extensions have been masterpieces. His trades have been good since summer of 15...there’s a lot more to like imo than not

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
If you don't think Kase/Ritchie are an upgrade over Heinen/Backes than we don't really have much more to talk about. Anything Ritchie gives you is more than what Backes was giving by not playing lol. Currently the #1 team in the NHL and they added a guy in Kase who since 2017-2018 has production/60 numbers that are on par with Timo Meier. Yes health is a concern, but when he's playing he's 100% an upgrade over Heinen (and this is coming from someone who is considered a "Heinen Fanboy" by many here).

You talked about how all these teams got better in the Heinen trade thread. When I laid out why they really didn't, you had nothing to say. IDK how you can say you don't like Sweeney as the GM. The guy was given a team that had missed the playoffs in back to back seasons. Since he came in they've made the playoffs every year, they were in the SCF last year and 1 win away from the holy grail.

-Signed Marchy & Pasta to insane team friendly deals

-Current B's drafted by Sweeney:
DeBrusk
Carlo
Lauzon
McAvoy

-Traded for guys like:
Charlie Coyle
Marcus Johansson
Sean Kuraly
Rick Nash

-Signed players:
Jaro Halak
Chris Wagner

These were just quickly off the top of my head, I'm sure there are some I'm missing. I haven't even talked about the prospects, but you're going to sit here and say you don't like Sweeney as the GM? I think I've seen all I need to see with you and your insight. I hope you enjoy the site, but for my own sanity I'm going to just add you to the ignore list. :cheers:

Sweeney was named GM after the 2015 season,
so he does have a DNQ as Bruins GM. He also
inherited Rask, Chara, Krug, Bergeron, Krejci and Marchand.

He brought in Halak, McAvoy, Carlo, Clifton, Lauzon, DeBrusk, Coyle, Kuhlman, Lindholm, Nordstrom, Wagner, Kase, Ritchie and MoJo (rental).

Got McAvoy, Carlo on good deals and Marchand, and Pastrnak on great deals.

His demerits are obviously Backes, Beleskey and the 2015 draft.

So in totality he grades a B+.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

He brought in Halak, McAvoy, Carlo, Clifton, Lauzon, DeBrusk, Coyle, Kuhlman, Lindholm, Nordstrom, Wagner, Kase, Ritchie and MoJo (rental).

You're right, 1 DNQ. For some reason I keep thinking we DNQ'd twice then he took over. Yes he inherited some good players, although Chara was already 37yr, so its not like he was getting prime Chara anymore. The Backes/Bels deals didn't work out, but at the time Backes got what the open market value was and no one saw the drop off coming. Bels actually had a good first year in Boston and then fell apart. The 2015 draft I'm not even going to touch because its a rabbit hole of what ifs and for all we know he could have had a great 2015 draft and this team could be a non-playoff team or make the SCF. On the flip side they could have won 3-4 straight cups, but there are just so many variables that people ignore.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
He's a good GM. Not perfect, and there are always things to disagree with- should have drafted this player, traded for that, signed that other one, but the team is damn good and that is in part due to his management. Great contract extensions, generally solid drafting and free agent signings, and emphasis on character, work ethic, and locker room harmony. He might not be the best in the NHL, that is a pretty subjective measure, but he is a lot better than what many other teams have.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Best way to describe Sweeney as a GM is he's getting progressively better. His first calendar year was ROUGH. From his first off-season in 2015, and his first trade deadline in 2016, were borderline motley. Since then it's been a gradual progression in his capability. I thought the past two calendar years he's done some excellent work.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
You're right, 1 DNQ. For some reason I keep thinking we DNQ'd twice then he took over. Yes he inherited some good players, although Chara was already 37yr, so its not like he was getting prime Chara anymore. The Backes/Bels deals didn't work out, but at the time Backes got what the open market value was and no one saw the drop off coming. Bels actually had a good first year in Boston and then fell apart. The 2015 draft I'm not even going to touch because its a rabbit hole of what ifs and for all we know he could have had a great 2015 draft and this team could be a non-playoff team or make the SCF. On the flip side they could have won 3-4 straight cups, but there are just so many variables that people ignore.

Look, you don't get all the credit for all the good moves
without being accountable for the not so good. That's not how it works. A "grade" of B+ is perfectly reasonable.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Best way to describe Sweeney as a GM is he's getting progressively better. His first calendar year was ROUGH. From his first off-season in 2015, and his first trade deadline in 2016, were borderline motley. Since then it's been a gradual progression in his capability. I thought the past two calendar years he's done some excellent work.

Good observation, I agree with it. Whenever I am tempted to rag on Sweeney the following names flash through my mind: Mike O'Connell, Harry Sinden, Mike Milbury, Kyle Dubas, Marc Bergevin, Edmonton Chiarelli . . . for starters :laugh:

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
He always speaks of depth. On defense I can see it. We have bottom six players in spades. So does everyone. Where is the top 6 depth? We clearly have five top six forwards (coyle on right would be 6) but I consider kase, Ritchie and Bjork to be clear cut 3rd liners. No center can step in at 3 consistently.... maybe Studnicka? I mean you can’t chuck lindholm onto line 2 If something happens so maybe coyle and Stud? I don’t know

They should go the STL model and use all the L4 guys to dirty players left and right. You suspend a 4th liner? No problem. We’ve got plenty.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Look, you don't get all the credit for all the good moves
without being accountable for the not so good. That's not how it works. A "grade" of B+ is perfectly reasonable.

Never said it wasn't a reasonable grade, nor did I say he should get all the credit for the good moves without being accountable for the not so good moves.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

I like this post and not saying it is not well thought out but missing the way they did on them 3 straight 1st round picks in 2015 in a deep draft should at least make it a B-.Lucky he struck gold in 2nd rd.

Last edited:

RHR37

Dec 24, 2019

This is just it. He is getting better and he's had good and bad moments like any GM has.

Just sucks because I feel like the 2015 draft is a huge miss and defiently cost us a cup and think something that will always be brought up.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
This is just it. He is getting better and he's had good and bad moments like any GM has.

Just sucks because I feel like the 2015 draft is a huge miss and defiently cost us a cup and think something that will always be brought up.

He will always be tied to it and especially if he never builds a winner.I have supported him all along but this past deadline broke my faith in him.Hope they win and he is behind it but have my doubts now.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
He will always be tied to it and especially if he never builds a winner.I have supported him all along but this past deadline broke my faith in him.Hope they win and he is behind it but have my doubts now.

Lots of people in here don't want or can't admit how
GOALIE DEPENDENT the Bruins are compared
to the other 4 true Cup favorites. Rask was the odds
on favorite heading into G7 for Conn Smythe. If he had
lost 2-1 or even 3-2 he would have won. If he doesn't
give them similar goaltending they could lose R1
to gasp, Toronto and absolutely Tampa. So it was important to add skill upfront. Kase has top 6 skill but he has been injury prone. Going to be walking on egg shells with him the next two PO years, because that is the window.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
So if the Bruins win the Cip this year or next does that mean the 2015 draft talk will stop? Even more reason to root for Cup (as if we needed more) :laugh:

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Either that or a burner account.

I like the idea of a burner account. I'd like to create one and vent on different topics by arguing with myself. I'll make it Number 5 in honor of that massive piece of shit Ulf Samuellsson.

Be a bit hard to explain that I'm not psychotic when Wally and Fenway jump in to infract I/Me/We/Us though. Do Mods intervene and initiate home welfare visits?:laugh:

ThomasJ13

Sep 22, 2006
So if the Bruins win the Cip this year or next does that mean the 2015 draft talk will stop? Even more reason to root for Cup (as if we needed more) :laugh:

Probably. If the 2011 cup had the power to shut down the "Epic 3-0 collapse against Philly" talk, I'm sure a 2020 cup could shut down some draft talk.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad