Boston Bruins General Manager Don Sweeney discusses recent roster changes and preparations ahead of playoffs

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Is Coyle a Top 6 guy though? Just comparing him to other RW's at 5v5 since 2017-2018:

G/60: 62nd
A/60: 46th
Pt/60: 58th

If you figure 31 teams that's 62 RW's for the Top 6. Based on the rankings against other RW's, sure technically you could call him a top 6 guy. With how close he is to the bottom though, I'd put him more in that excellent 3rd liner, serviceable 2nd liner category.

good points, probably not

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
S

I hated Sinden cheap ways, but at least he had the guts to make hockey trades. I remember he got Poulin and Propp in 90 i think. And when he did they were usually for the best. Talent wins, not depth. This guy talks in circles. It's not only about depth Donnie. Its about talent. Depth, lol, finally he explains why he took Senyshen instead of Barzal. He wanted Depth.

You have to be the most miserable fan on our board. Everytime I read one of your post your bitching and moan about something.

Last edited:

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I'm not sure any team has top 6 depth, as such, which is kind of the point of the cap. Some teams just have a better group of elite top 5-6 players than others. However certainly in our case I'd have rathered we gave up a piece or two or our D and/or bottom 6 depth for an additional legit top 6 player. I thought it was possible, but not to be it seems.

This is where Backes type contracts kill u. The deadline
is were you can pick up a top 6 guy on an expiring UFA
contract. Sweeney did probably the best he could with
Backes current situation getting Kase but the season
appears to ride on his health.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

Right now, he is a more impactful player than Krejci.
The last half dozen games Krejci has looked
pedestrian at best. Wouldn't be at all surprised
to see him slot in at 2C in the PO if Krejci doesn't
pick it up.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

Didn't really think to look at it at first, but I saw Kase's name while I was looking at something else and thought I'd comp him out. Using the same criteria I did on Coyle:

G/60: 12th
A/60: 43rd
Pt/60: 20th

If the kid stays healthy it could be a solid add to the top 6 based on the per 60 numbers. Goals/60 he's equal to Timo Meier and actually higher than Boeser, Aho, Stone, DeBrincat, Laine, Kane, Palmieri. Not going to lie, that list kind of surprised me to see he had a better G/60 than those guys.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Right now, he is a more impactful player than Krejci.
The last half dozen games Krejci has looked
pedestrian at best.
Wouldn't be at all surprised
to see him slot in at 2C in the PO if Krejci doesn't
pick it up.

Kind of strange to take a 6 game sample size and make an analysis off of it.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Its actually more than six. Krejci may be injured, I don't know, but Coyle absolutely has outplayed him for
an extended stretch, not just 6 games.

Last 20 team games:

Player
G/60
A/60
Pts/60
iCF/60
iSCF/60
iHDCF/60
GvA/60
TkA/60
BkS/60
FOW/60
Charlie Coyle
0.71​
2.60​
2.13​
22.71​
David Krejci
0.48​
1.44​
11.08​
7.70​
3.85​
1.20​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

They've both had their strength over one another over the last 20 B's games. IDK that I'd say Coyle has outplayed Krejci, but he's hasn't been worse either.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Didn't really think to look at it at first, but I saw Kase's name while I was looking at something else and thought I'd comp him out. Using the same criteria I did on Coyle:

If the kid stays healthy it could be a solid add to the top 6 based on the per 60 numbers. Goals/60 he's equal to Timo Meier and actually higher than Boeser, Aho, Stone, DeBrincat, Laine, Kane, Palmieri. Not going to lie, that list kind of surprised me to see he had a better G/60 than those guys.

Great find. Always liked him (traded for him in EHM league) but didn't realize his numbers were that good. Very promising/exciting.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Great find. Always liked him (traded for him in EHM league) but didn't realize his numbers were that good. Very promising/exciting.

Here is another interesting one. Same time-frame I've been talking about.

Player
G/60
A/60
1A/60
Pt/60
iSCF/60
iHDCF/60
Timo Meier
1.06​
1.12​
0.64​
2.17​
11.77​
5.5​
Ondrej Kase
1.05​
1.02​
0.75​
2.06​
9.21​
3.7​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

HeartsAlive

Apr 11, 2013
The second line RW problem existed last year and the team made it to game 7 of the SCF. I'm not willing to blame the absence of 1 player over all the other factors that lead us to lose game 7. The Bruins are a good team, and IMO improved their top 9 yet again. That ended up being pretty big last year, no one saw Johannson or Coyle as the answer to the top 6 RW but the added depth proved huge.

I'm fairly certain I was one of the Danton Heinen fan clubbers and even I'm entirely OK rolling the dice on Ritchie. He brings something no one else on the team can provide, it's the definition of a hockey trade IMO. Surplus went out to fill a different need. I would have liked to see it solved from the blue line, but it's still a worthy gamble.

Knowing Marleau cost the leafs a first this season, we knew shedding Backes would cost at least that with the extra year involved. A first and Anderson for Kase and shedding 4.5 million from next years cap. How is that not a good deal? Sure it was self inflicted, don't sign Backes in the first place. But I'm honestly impressed with the value Sweeney salvaged with that trade. It sounds like Kase could have some untapped potential too. I can't imagine Kase and Ritchie were the reason the Ducks had on of the worst offenses in the league, I think they'll both produce a bit more on the Bruins.

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
You have to be the most miserable fan on our board. Everytime I read one of your post your bitching and moan about something.
Trade deadline is over pal. I have regulated. I was looking forward to getting better and winning the cup. Not so sure we did that now, but as a fan i am in it to win it. Just got my tickets for Philly on the 10th, Support the team always, probably from before you were born. but i am done mocking mgmt for the time being. But make no mistake, i do not like Sweeney as the GM of this team. He has had it handed to him and he has not done very much with it. Thats my opinion.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

Aho has 36 goals man.I think something is off.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
The second line RW problem existed last year and the team made it to game 7 of the SCF. I'm not willing to blame the absence of 1 player over all the other factors that lead us to lose game 7. The Bruins are a good team, and IMO improved their top 9 yet again. That ended up being pretty big last year, no one saw Johannson or Coyle as the answer to the top 6 RW but the added depth proved huge.

I'm fairly certain I was one of the Danton Heinen fan clubbers and even I'm entirely OK rolling the dice on Ritchie. He brings something no one else on the team can provide, it's the definition of a hockey trade IMO. Surplus went out to fill a different need. I would have liked to see it solved from the blue line, but it's still a worthy gamble.

Knowing Marleau cost the leafs a first this season, we knew shedding Backes would cost at least that with the extra year involved. A first and Anderson for Kase and shedding 4.5 million from next years cap. How is that not a good deal? Sure it was self inflicted, don't sign Backes in the first place. But I'm honestly impressed with the value Sweeney salvaged with that trade. It sounds like Kase could have some untapped potential too. I can't imagine Kase and Ritchie were the reason the Ducks had on of the worst offenses in the league, I think they'll both produce a bit more on the Bruins.

Good post...I'm pretty bullish on this group and like both players acquired, but I'd be lying if Ritchie's skating didn't take me by surprise is a bad way...I'm sure it was mostly fatigue but he looked like he was skating in mud most of the night.

Reactions: 22Brad Park

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Trade deadline is over pal. I have regulated. I was looking forward to getting better and winning the cup. Not so sure we did that now, but as a fan i am in it to win it. Just got my tickets for Philly on the 10th, Support the team always, probably from before you were born. but i am done mocking mgmt for the time being. But make no mistake, i do not like Sweeney as the GM of this team. He has had it handed to him and he has not done very much with it. Thats my opinion.

Which old banned poster are you?

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

I am not big on Ritchie but your post is very fair and on point.End of day I am still a Bruins fan and hope Ritchie scores a few and helps out

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Good post...I'm pretty bullish on this group and like both players acquired, but I'd be lying if Ritchie's skating didn't take me by surprise is a bad way...I'm sure it was mostly fatigue but he looked like he was skating in mud most of the night.

Yeah I was taken aback by it a litte too- I didn't remember him looking that slow in Duck games I've seen. I am sure you're right, it was travel fatigue and maybe some hesitation as well not being familiar with the system and linemates. The guy never has been the fastest skater, but he looked almost Backes-like in that game (almost, mind you :laugh:)

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

If you don't think Kase/Ritchie are an upgrade over Heinen/Backes than we don't really have much more to talk about. Anything Ritchie gives you is more than what Backes was giving by not playing lol. Currently the #1 team in the NHL and they added a guy in Kase who since 2017-2018 has production/60 numbers that are on par with Timo Meier. Yes health is a concern, but when he's playing he's 100% an upgrade over Heinen (and this is coming from someone who is considered a "Heinen Fanboy" by many here).

You talked about how all these teams got better in the Heinen trade thread. When I laid out why they really didn't, you had nothing to say. IDK how you can say you don't like Sweeney as the GM. The guy was given a team that had missed the playoffs in back to back seasons. Since he came in they've made the playoffs every year, they were in the SCF last year and 1 win away from the holy grail.

-Signed Marchy & Pasta to insane team friendly deals

-Current B's drafted by Sweeney:
DeBrusk
Carlo
Lauzon
McAvoy

-Traded for guys like:
Charlie Coyle
Marcus Johansson
Sean Kuraly
Rick Nash

-Signed players:
Jaro Halak
Chris Wagner

These were just quickly off the top of my head, I'm sure there are some I'm missing. I haven't even talked about the prospects, but you're going to sit here and say you don't like Sweeney as the GM? I think I've seen all I need to see with you and your insight. I hope you enjoy the site, but for my own sanity I'm going to just add you to the ignore list. :cheers:

Reactions: kjpm and LouJersey

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Yeah I was taken aback by it a litte too- I didn't remember him looking that slow in Duck games I've seen. I am sure you're right, it was travel fatigue and maybe some hesitation as well not being familiar with the system and linemates. The guy never has been the fastest skater, but he looked almost Backes-like in that game (almost, mind you :laugh:)

In the sim league we are in I traded for Steel and Terry from watching them, and Ritchie always stood out (I think you may have him in the sim?)..I haven't watched them much this season, but again I never said, man that dude is slow lol.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
In the sim league we are in I traded for Steel and Terry from watching them, and Ritchie always stood out (I think you may have him in the sim?)..I haven't watched them much this season, but again I never said, man that dude is slow lol.

I do have him and always been a fan, but I never thought that either about him being slow.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Haha I've been wondering the same thing- it's kind of odd to create a new account and just jump in with posts that do nothing but savage the team.

Either that or a burner account.

Once someone says "I've been watching longer than you've been alive" it's pretty much a guarantee it's someone that's got kicked off here numerous times.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
S

I hated Sinden cheap ways, but at least he had the guts to make hockey trades. I remember he got Poulin and Propp in 90 i think. And when he did they were usually for the best. Talent wins, not depth. This guy talks in circles. It's not only about depth Donnie. Its about talent. Depth, lol, finally he explains why he took Senyshen instead of Barzal. He wanted Depth.
Sinden clearly earned his stripes in the first half of his career but he turned into a dumpster fire

History of hockey trades by general manager Harry Sinden - NHL Trade Tracker

Reactions: OV

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->