Boston Bruins General Manager Don Sweeney discusses recent roster changes and preparations ahead of playoffs

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Was hoping the TK47 re-signing would be close in hand but got the impression that maybe they aren’t as close as I would have hoped

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Have you heard something other than his presser Walter? ;)

the “we are in communication” kind of rang as 5 vs 7 year wants is what I took from this

thats my thinking. I think the hangup is years.

"I don't have an update in terms of a timeline," Sweeney said during a press conference to talk about the trade deadline. "We've continued to stay in communication with Torey. Whether or not we find one at an appropriate time between now and the end of the year, I don't know yet. We'll have talks, they've been very cordial, both sides sort of understand where they are. And whether or not we can bridge something along those lines is to be determined."

Don Sweeney: Talks between Bruins, Torey Krug have been ‘cordial’

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

"I don't have an update in terms of a timeline," Sweeney said during a press conference to talk about the trade deadline. "We've continued to stay in communication with Torey. Whether or not we find one at an appropriate time between now and the end of the year, I don't know yet. We'll have talks, they've been very cordial, both sides sort of understand where they are. And whether or not we can bridge something along those lines is to be determined."

I hope that Krug is re-signed by mid-March, but if not then the talks and all mention of them need to be shelved and not restarted until the Bruins season is done, whenever that turns out to be. Don't want them hanging over Krug and the team and causing distraction during the playoffs.

Reactions: BMC

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
He always speaks of depth. On defense I can see it. We have bottom six players in spades. So does everyone. Where is the top 6 depth? We clearly have five top six forwards (coyle on right would be 6) but I consider kase, Ritchie and Bjork to be clear cut 3rd liners. No center can step in at 3 consistently.... maybe Studnicka? I mean you can’t chuck lindholm onto line 2 If something happens so maybe coyle and Stud? I don’t know

Reactions: 22Brad Park

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Agreed friend it sounds like 5-6 years vs 7-8

Bodit9

Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
He always speaks of depth. On defense I can see it. We have bottom six players in spades. So does everyone. Where is the top 6 depth? We clearly have five top six forwards (coyle on right would be 6) but I consider kase, Ritchie and Bjork to be clear cut 3rd liners. No center can step in at 3 consistently.... maybe Studnicka? I mean you can’t chuck lindholm onto line 2 If something happens so maybe coyle and Stud? I don’t know

Kase is definitely top 6. It's just a matter of if he can stay healthy. Bjork is a tweener & can fill in either side. Ritchie & Kuhlman would be reaches with spot duty. Possibly Studnicka. I think he'll get a call up and a look at RW to see what he looks like & maybe a game or two at 3C. But I wish he could've gotten 1 more middle 6 guy with experience in case of injury.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

I'm not sure any team has top 6 depth, as such, which is kind of the point of the cap. Some teams just have a better group of elite top 5-6 players than others. However certainly in our case I'd have rathered we gave up a piece or two or our D and/or bottom 6 depth for an additional legit top 6 player. I thought it was possible, but not to be it seems.

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
S

I hated Sinden cheap ways, but at least he had the guts to make hockey trades. I remember he got Poulin and Propp in 90 i think. And when he did they were usually for the best. Talent wins, not depth. This guy talks in circles. It's not only about depth Donnie. Its about talent. Depth, lol, finally he explains why he took Senyshen instead of Barzal. He wanted Depth.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
S

I hated Sinden cheap ways, but at least he had the guts to make hockey trades. I remember he got Poulin and Propp in 90 i think. And when he did they were usually for the best. Talent wins, not depth. This guy talks in circles. It's not only about depth Donnie. Its about talent. Depth, lol, finally he explains why he took Senyshen instead of Barzal. He wanted Depth.

Depth is very important. Toronto has talent out the butt on the top lines, but no depth and no defense....Winnipeg has top end talent

Talent wins in the regular season when you play several teams that aren't as talented as team x is, but in playoffs depth becomes more important

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Hmm, by definition Heinen for Ritchie was a hockey trade. But Sweeney I guess doesn't do those, so it can't be. I'm confused :dunno:

I don't mind what he did this time around. Hopefully, Sweeney picked up two players that might help, while creating cap space per Heinen and through trading David. I don't love it. I don't hate it.

I believe Sweeney's strengths are in finding diamonds in the rough per undrafted players, player development from PRO to Boston, and cap management. He and his team are not very good at drafting, or at making big NHL deals. He's a bright, level-headed guy who balances present and future concerns well. Nothing wrong with that.

My primary problem remains a lack of size, strength and, yes, toughness. I'll let that one rest for awhile, and see what they've got going forward.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

Is Coyle a Top 6 guy though? Just comparing him to other RW's at 5v5 since 2017-2018:

G/60: 62nd
A/60: 46th
Pt/60: 58th

If you figure 31 teams that's 62 RW's for the Top 6. Based on the rankings against other RW's, sure technically you could call him a top 6 guy. With how close he is to the bottom though, I'd put him more in that excellent 3rd liner, serviceable 2nd liner category.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
S

Also traded Bourque's friend Kasper for Bobby Carpenter
who played pretty well in 1989-90 abd 1990-91 before
Schneider changed his career path.

Reactions: BMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->