Speculation: General Manager candidates

psowrc

Feb 21, 2015
Good thing about the Las Vegas ownership they are not tied in to the Canadian good-ole boy hockey mafia, so instead of a re-tread I would expect a young, smart forward thinking GM that can lead and grow the franchise.

Why I think there is a very good chance JR retires after the draft.

While not the "good ole boy", Botterill is born and bred in Winnipeg...good things are said about him.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Don Maloney would be the best choice. Guy knows how to scrape and get results with very little.

Don't think I agree. Maloney is great for a low-budget team, getting the most out of poor assets, and trade value, but he's not good at all in getting good UFA signings. I think Vegas needs someone less conservative and more aggressive, especially in the first few years.

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
Don Maloney

Jason Botterill

Julien Brisebois

Paul Fenton

If it were me, I'd hire Don Maloney in a heartbeat, but the problem is going to be Bill Foley. Foley openly said he wants this team to be competitive right off the bat. If so, he'll take one of the other 3 and let them wheel and deal.

Can't really think of any other "veteran" candidates besides Maloney for the job.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
If I were Vegas I'd want Tallon. He built the Blackhawks and did a pretty good turnaround on the Panthers as well.

I also love the idea of Pierre McGuire as the GM. I think he'd do really well despite the hate he gets. I'd certainly pay closer attention to the team if he gets the job.

My own favorite teams could have candidates for Vegas as well. The Leafs have Dubas and Hunter working under Lou. Personally I think Dubas is too inexperienced yet, but Hunter may be of interest. The Kings have Futa, teams have been asking to talk with him for a while now. They'll have to decide soon, either "promote" (retire) Lombardi or risk losing Futa. He's not going to stick around as an AGM forever.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I keep hearing Scott Mellanby's name thrown around with the local guys. Probably heard it four or five times at the party last night.

SXM NHL Network guys seem to think he's on the short list as well. I've got to admit I don't know much about him, though.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
TSN Article on potential GMs:

http://www.tsn.ca/handicapping-candidates-for-the-gm-job-in-vegas-1.513967

Their candidates in order of likelihood:

GEORGE MCPHEE - Special advisor to the general manager, New York Islanders.
SCOTT MELLANBY - Assistant general manager, Montreal Canadiens
JASON BOTTERILL - Associate general manager, Pittsburgh Penguins
DON MALONEY - Unemployed
DALE TALLON - President of hockey operations, Florida Panthers

OldSchoolSabreFan

Old School Cool
Jul 5, 2014
I also love the idea of Pierre McGuire as the GM. I think he'd do really well despite the hate he gets. I'd certainly pay closer attention to the team if he gets the job.
62920142008105.jpg

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
Maloney would be a solid choice. He is terrifically qualified, a stabilizing force in uncertain circumstances. Time and again he made something out of nothing in AZ. He knows everyone and is well respected around the league. LV's launch is going to less about attracting high end free agents (a common and justified knock against him), and more about piecing together existing contracts signed by other teams. His drafting and development has been good, as evidenced by the talent growing out of the Coyotes program. His experience is fresh and his knowledge is current. A smart choice for this situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad