Speculation: General Manager candidates

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Okay, so now we start wondering/hoping/dreading who Mr. Foley is going to hire to get the team off the ground.

You have guys like Don Maloney, George McPhee, Dave Nonis, Darcy Regier, and Jay Feaster all out there, all with varying degrees of experience and success.

But there are also some AGMs and lower-level GMs who might get a shot at the reins depending on their resumes and potential.

Let's start seeing some ideas! :popcorn:

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
I wonder if Dave Nonis gets a shot. Feel like he's an always in the shadows type.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
I think I would prefer having an experienced GM to get this thing off the ground. I don't think we need a guy learning how to be a GM while starting a franchise. Some one who isn't currently under contract so that they can be hired right away. I would love to see a GM in place by September so that a scouting director and scouts can be hired before the various seasons start.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Don't be surprised to see Dale Tallon leave the Panthers and take this job

Highway29

Don dun well?
Mar 20, 2013
Jim Rutherford? The Penguins gig was for 2 years abd haven't heard none that it would continue?

OldSchoolSabreFan

Old School Cool
Jul 5, 2014
Don't be surprised to see Dale Tallon leave the Panthers and take this job

Depends on if he wants to start a team from scratch.

From the recycle bin in the initial post and in order of ineptitude:
Don Maloney - Meh No.
George McPhee - NO I don't want this man making any trades for my team (Filip Forsberg --> NSH | Erat/Latta --> WSH)
Jay Feaster - Not. After. Calgary.
Dave Nonis - Not. After. Toronto.
Darcy Regier - "expletive deleted" NOOOO!! This man ruined 8 years of my hockey viewing life in 2007.

Thank goodness that Benning is in VAN.

It's gotta be a GM with scouting experience that is acceptable to analytics.

If I were a betting man (ans I am not) Foley already has a short list or has someone in mind.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I saw a tweet somewhere that Foley had a list of like 7-9 guys ready.

I would like Maloney but hold onto hope for a better hidden gem.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
McGuire would not be a bad choice to be fair

- Knows scouting (was a member of the Late 80's/Early 90's Pens success)
- Knows the up and coming players. He may be an awkward dude, but he is just as good as Button as analyzing Junior/Import draftees
- Is actually respected by people in the game (unlike his respect among fans)
- Has no problem pointing out both the strengths and weaknesses of players and how to adjust around them, and that is a serious need for an expansion team
- He has Scotty Bowman's backing (Bowman really likes the guy, and has stated that he'd be a good GM)

While not optimal, the guy knows the game, knows the players and has a decent chance of getting good role players in an expansion draft, and would be great for the entry draft of a new team.

People look at his coaching record in Hartford and think that's his only work in hockey, which is a problem. Bowman had no issues with him as an assistant coach, and that Penguins team was very good.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
- He has Scotty Bowman's backing (Bowman really likes the guy, and has stated that he'd be a good GM)

Bowman likes him so much he never brought him to Detroit after McGuire failed in Hartford.

McGuire is a well liked guy by media and people in the game but has constantly tried to get a GM job from the back door. He refuses to put in the work.

CaptainMalkin

Dec 21, 2015
Good thing about the Las Vegas ownership they are not tied in to the Canadian good-ole boy hockey mafia, so instead of a re-tread I would expect a young, smart forward thinking GM that can lead and grow the franchise.

Jim Rutherford said he wouldn't be surprised if Las Vegas franchise contacts him about AGM Jason Botterill for their vacant GM position.
Why I think there is a very good chance JR retires after the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad