Injury Report: Injuries Thread | Bear (Head), Lagesson (Wrist), Kassian (Hand/Weeks), 4K (CollarBone/Months)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Wonder what happened to Lucic.

8dp09q39q3s21.jpg
He's working on becoming a crutch player in big games.

Oct 15, 2008
Has anybody heard anything regarding McDavid's injury? I believe the original diagnosis was "around 3 months", but that they were going to closely monitor. It's only been 2 months since the injury, but I was just curious if anybody has heard anything at all. Thanks for info you you have it.

Edit: After a little digging, this is the most recent update I can find:

Seems like he isn't sure how much ice-time he'll get this offseason, which I guess makes sense as the injury was early April, which means the "3 months" won't be over till early/mid July. So really only 5-7 weeks on the ice before training camp, and that is if everything goes well with rehab.

Gone for the season!

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Anyone know the status of Ryan Mantha? Suffered an eye injury a year and a half ago that seems like it may be career ending. Was on SOIR all year last year. Still has 1 year left on a 2 way deal, is only 22.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Also going to ask a question. Has anyone caught any news on Marody? It's tough to get injury updates in general in the minors, but who knows, maybe I missed something.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Also going to ask a question. Has anyone caught any news on Marody? It's tough to get injury updates in general in the minors, but who knows, maybe I missed something.
I'm guessing he'll be back for the start of next season.

And on Mantha, I fear at this point his hockey career is over with the damage to his eye. Hoping for the best though

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Just in case people didn't catch it: What’s going on with Connor McDavid’s leg? Not a whole lot.

Seems I wasn't the only one wondering what was happening with McDavid's injury. Turns out that the team hasn't really said anything and Gregor commented "all is on track and no new is good news". He hasn't gotten back on the ice yet, but we knew that as we're only 8 weeks out, and the original prognosis was for 3 months for full recovery. Interestingly, the article mentions that a PCL can take 4 - 12 months to fully heal, but that was a pretty generic article, and seemed to be covering all different grades of sprain. It's entirely possible that McDavid's was on the lighter side of that scale.

Anyway, thought I would update and somewhat answer my own question from above.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Just in case people didn't catch it: What’s going on with Connor McDavid’s leg? Not a whole lot.

Seems I wasn't the only one wondering what was happening with McDavid's injury. Turns out that the team hasn't really said anything and Gregor commented "all is on track and no new is good news". He hasn't gotten back on the ice yet, but we knew that as we're only 8 weeks out, and the original prognosis was for 3 months for full recovery. Interestingly, the article mentions that a PCL can take 4 - 12 months to fully heal, but that was a pretty generic article, and seemed to be covering all different grades of sprain. It's entirely possible that McDavid's was on the lighter side of that scale.

Something to note regarding "to fully heal" is that any soft tissue injury technically is still healing for around 12-24 months. The body undergoes 3 stages of healing. 1) The acute inflammatory phase which is essentially where the body stops bleeding, clears out old dead tissue and sets the body up to regenerate and heal. This phase generally is painful due to inflammation and focuses around protecting the injury site. 2) The regenerative/proliferation phase, which is where the body lays down new tissue/scar formation occurs and the focus here is to maintain range of motion, and any strength without compromising the integrity of the new tissue. This phase generally lasts up to about 3-4 weeks post-injury. 3) The remodelling/maturation phase is the final phase where the new tissue undergoes changes to become more functional like the original tissue it has replaced. This is the most complex portion of recovery and is where the majority of the rehab focuses on strengthening, dynamic stability, proprioception, balance, etc. and progresses towards incorporating all the sport demands necessary of the tissue. This phase overlaps with the regenerative/proliferation phase and can last upwards of 1-2 years post injury depending on the severity and any set backs.

So when you look at the timeline of "fully healed" you have to remember that this final phase of healing continues for a very long time and long beyond the time of safe return to sport. The main principle of this phase is that the tissue adapts to the stresses put on the healing tissue, and that is why structured rehabilitation is so important to make the tissue as functional and optimized to the demands it will face in an athlete's sport. Another factor to consider on their timeline in that article, as you addressed, is the severity of the sprain. We know there are 3 grades for ligament sprains. Grade 3 being the worst where the ligament is fully torn and no longer intact. McDavid's being a "partial tear" means his is only a grade 1 or 2 sprain, and even within each of these grades there is a spectrum to how much actual damage has occurred. Just another reason why the timeline they gave is so broad in terms of healing time for a PCL sprain.

As for McDavid, I wouldn't worry about him. He may not get to work on all the aspects of his game that he had hoped to this summer, but there's nothing to suggest that he won't be healed and safe to play at the start of the season, and in reality when you look at the function of the PCL and the lesser severity of his injury it is unlikely that we will see any difference in his ability on the ice to start the season. It really isn't a commonly injured ligament in hockey due to the mechanism of injury, so the likelihood of re-injury is not all that likely. In contrast if you look at the ACL or MCL the likelihood of re-injury is much higher due to the demands put on these ligaments in hockey with cutting/twisting motions, directional changes/deceleration, hyperextension during knee-on-knee/thigh/hip contact, contact to the lateral (outside) aspect of the knee.

Apologies for the long-winded post, just hoping to clear up some of the misconceptions or worries about McDavid's injury.

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

So that gregor quote is the complete opposite of your line of thought.

You're more of the "No news is bad news"

Reactions: McFlyingV

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Something to note regarding "to fully heal" is that any soft tissue injury technically is still healing for around 12-24 months. The body undergoes 3 stages of healing. 1) The acute inflammatory phase which is essentially where the body stops bleeding, clears out old dead tissue and sets the body up to regenerate and heal. This phase generally is painful due to inflammation and focuses around protecting the injury site. 2) The regenerative/proliferation phase, which is where the body lays down new tissue/scar formation occurs and the focus here is to maintain range of motion, and any strength without compromising the integrity of the new tissue. This phase generally lasts up to about 3-4 weeks post-injury. 3) The remodelling/maturation phase is the final phase where the new tissue undergoes changes to become more functional like the original tissue it has replaced. This is the most complex portion of recovery and is where the majority of the rehab focuses on strengthening, dynamic stability, proprioception, balance, etc. and progresses towards incorporating all the sport demands necessary of the tissue. This phase overlaps with the regenerative/proliferation phase and can last upwards of 1-2 years post injury depending on the severity and any set backs.

So when you look at the timeline of "fully healed" you have to remember that this final phase of healing continues for a very long time and long beyond the time of safe return to sport. The main principle of this phase is that the tissue adapts to the stresses put on the healing tissue, and that is why structured rehabilitation is so important to make the tissue as functional and optimized to the demands it will face in an athlete's sport. Another factor to consider on their timeline in that article, as you addressed, is the severity of the sprain. We know there are 3 grades for ligament sprains. Grade 3 being the worst where the ligament is fully torn and no longer intact. McDavid's being a "partial tear" means his is only a grade 1 or 2 sprain, and even within each of these grades there is a spectrum to how much actual damage has occurred. Just another reason why the timeline they gave is so broad in terms of healing time for a PCL sprain.

As for McDavid, I wouldn't worry about him. He may not get to work on all the aspects of his game that he had hoped to this summer, but there's nothing to suggest that he won't be healed and safe to play at the start of the season, and in reality when you look at the function of the PCL and the lesser severity of his injury it is unlikely that we will see any difference in his ability on the ice to start the season. It really isn't a commonly injured ligament in hockey due to the mechanism of injury, so the likelihood of re-injury is not all that likely. In contrast if you look at the ACL or MCL the likelihood of re-injury is much higher due to the demands put on these ligaments in hockey with cutting/twisting motions, directional changes/deceleration, hyperextension during knee-on-knee/thigh/hip contact, contact to the lateral (outside) aspect of the knee.

Apologies for the long-winded post, just hoping to clear up some of the misconceptions or worries about McDavid's injury.
No need to apologize. In fact just the opposite. This was very helpful!

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
So that gregor quote is the complete opposite of your line of thought.

You're more of the "No news is bad news"

Normally I skew that way, yeah. Not in this case. The team gave us the information about the injury, and we're well within the time limit of that original prognosis. Not hearing anything new is all good in my books. I suppose theoretically hearing "he is way ahead of schedule" would be the obvious exception to that rule.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Very helpful info and certainly aligns with my limited personal experience (I had a partial tear of my PCL and full tear of my ACL in two separate injuries). Recovering from the PCL was more an annoyance than anything else. I was a soccer goalie and it would not bother me with starts, stops, anything really... until every once in a while I'd catch a ball and collapse over top of it... banging the bad knee in the ground (presumably because my Tibia was being pushed backward and needed the PCL for stability). That would irritate it and cause swelling for a day afterwards

The ACL on the other hand... I was back playing at 5.5 months from surgery, but the swelling was terrible for a year thereafter. Worse of course was the lack of confidence when making those starts, stops and athletic moves requiring knee strength.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Very helpful info and certainly aligns with my limited personal experience (I had a partial tear of my PCL and full tear of my ACL in two separate injuries). Recovering from the PCL was more an annoyance than anything else. I was a soccer goalie and it would not bother me with starts, stops, anything really... until every once in a while I'd catch a ball and collapse over top of it... banging the bad knee in the ground (presumably because my Tibia was being pushed backward and needed the PCL for stability). That would irritate it and cause swelling for a day afterwards

The ACL on the other hand... I was back playing at 5.5 months from surgery, but the swelling was terrible for a year thereafter. Worse of course was the lack of confidence when making those starts, stops and athletic moves requiring knee strength.
Definitely. The PCL is a tricky ligament because surgery success rates historically are lower than ACL reconstruction (although I believe techniques and success rates have advanced in recent years), however, a lot of surgeons are still reluctant to perform the surgery on a typical patient. Athletes and younger individuals tend to be an exception due to the necessity of high level performance, and the better likelihood of a successful surgery at a younger age. A lot of people can go on living normally with a fully torn PCL, while others can have issues with it, but it is far less debilitating than trying to live with a torn ACL.

Definitely falling onto a bent knee would aggravate a recovering PCL for the very reason you mentioned. When the knee is bent the ligament is the most taut, and by falling onto your knee you are causing a posterior (backward) translation of the tibia relative to the femur while the ligament is already under the most tension. Any movement that causes forced bending of the knee, or a relative posterior translation of the tibia (femur slides forward or tibia slides backwards) especially while the knee is bent is going to potentially cause pain or feelings of instability (instability more so in a fully torn PCL; think activities like going down stairs/running down a hill, or coming to a quick stop).

In Connor's case he has incredibly strong legs and control of his lower extremities so his knee is going to be well supported and he's going to be getting vigorous rehab that the general public wouldn't. It might bug him from time to time, but with the medical staff that he has access to I wouldn't expect his play to suffer at all.

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
On the brightside of Connor's injury...
View attachment 236963
He got a endorsement for knee braces.

:naughty:
I was in poland and a german guy was wearing these. I got a chuckle and told him why i laughed. he's a european football guy so he had 0 idea what i was talking about. had no idea who draisaitl was so i had to explain who his new favorite NHL team was :P

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Wrist injuries can be such a bitch. Luckily he is young and probably has better access to medical than the average person.

I guess unlike myself and a couple of my buddies, he probably can actually rehab properly as well. Us common folk are usually in a hurry to start using it sooner as we need to actually feed ourselves/families.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad