Back at it Wednesday night in Laval

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
From the reports on here, the 4 best prospect forwards are:

Bjork, hopefully he is up soon and replace Ritchie/Backes slugs

Steen and Lauko next and Seny is moving up there.

PepeBostones

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2002
Thought you'd like this article from eliteprospects.com
Link if wanted. AROUND THE AHL: The Providence-to-Boston Bruins Pipeline, and an...

The Providence Bruins, who own the AHL’s longest-running affiliation, continue to blend development and winning that have fuelled years of NHL success for the parent Boston Bruins.
This season’s Boston roster features recent Providence graduates Jake DeBrusk, Sean Kuraly, Karson Kuhlman, plus blueliners Connor Clifton and Matt Grzelcyk. Go further back, and that list expands to David Krejci, Brad Marchand, and Tuukka Rask. Even Patrice Bergeron spent a season in Providence during the 2004-05 NHL lockout, and David Pastrnak had a limited run with the P-Bruins as well. That steady replenishment of roster depth has helped Boston to be an annual contender, including a trip to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final this past June.
Those players have developed within a winning framework an hour south in Rhode Island, where the Boston-Providence affiliation begins its 28th season in a relationship that dates to the 1992-93 season. Providence has put together seven consecutive trips to the Calder Cup Playoffs; last season the Bruins fell in the first round to the eventual Calder Cup champion Charlotte Checkers (Carolina Hurricanes) after a 38-27-8-3 regular season.
More help could be Boston-bound amid a deep group of prospects playing for head coach Jay Leach, who is starting his third season in that role with Providence. His P-Bruins took back-to-back road wins to open the regular season this past weekend and will open their home schedule on Saturday night against the Rochester Americans (Buffalo Sabres).
“It’s always an adventure early on in the season, especially with a younger group,” Leach said. “You never really know what you’ve got. It’s a classic youthful team with energy and speed.”
Much of an AHL head coach’s job involves breaking habits that players developed playing at lower levels before turning pro. Top prospects who played heavy minutes at the CHL or NCAA levels and had to manage their energy there find that such an approach is not acceptable in the pro game.
“We’ve got to find that ‘more’ in them, [and] we’ve got to find that equation for them that’s going to work at the professional level,” Leach said.
Leach singled out goaltenders Dan Vladar and Max Lagacé for praise. Vladar is a 22-year-old taken in the third round of the 2015 NHL Draft who could take a bigger role with Zane McIntyre leaving to join the Vancouver Canucks organization in the offseason. Lagacé shut out the Lehigh Valley Phantoms (Philadelphia Flyers), 3-0, in the season opener after signing with Boston from the Vegas Golden Knights this past summer.
“[Goaltending is] what makes good teams. It makes good coaches, it makes good players, it’s the key to everything,” Leach said.
But Leach’s blue line bears plenty of promise as well. Urho Vaakanainen, the 18th pick in the 2018 NHL Draft, begins his second pro season. Jakub Zboril, chosen 13th overall in the 2015 NHL Draft, is starting his third pro season. Fellow 2015 pick Jérémy Lauzon, who went in the second round that year, joins Zboril.
“[Vaakanainen and Zboril] are puck-movers,” Leach assessed. “They escape really well. They transition well.”
“We’re trying to push the offence with them, and at the next level we’ll do the same, but we want them to get pucks, get up the ice and get going. At the same time, we want to make sure that they’re squashing [opposing] plays with their sticks and their feet.”
“[Lauzon], has great feet, but he brings a bit more sandpaper again every night. So, he’ll be relied upon with a penalty kill, [competing] down low, playing that straightforward first-pass game.”
Boston may have also unearthed overlooked talent in undrafted rookie Cooper Zech, who turned pro after one NCAA season at Ferris State. Zech, 20, led the NCAA in points by a rookie defenceman (8-28-36), which earned him the WCHA Rookie of the Year award. He also won spots on the WCHA’s All-Rookie Team and First All-Star Team.
Blend that group with established pros Chris Breen, Josiah Didier, and Alex Petrovic, and the P-Bruins are in good shape.
“Our back end is a bit more proven,” Leach said.
While Leach’s back end has experience, his forwards’ mobility impresses him.
“[The forwards have] got some young legs that should give us some speed and allow us to play four lines. Hopefully we can overwhelm teams with our four lines.”
That group includes first-round talent in Trent Frederic, who was 14-11-25 in 55 regular-season games as a P-Bruins rookie. Boston took him 29th overall in the 2016 NHL Draft.
Other returning faces up front are Peter Cehlárik, Ryan Fitzgerald, Cameron Hughes, and Joona Koppanen. Veteran Paul Carey, who buried 22 goals in 30 regular-season games after a midseason trade from the Ottawa Senators, is back to provide dependable offence and serve as Providence’s new captain.
Another returnee is Zach Senyshyn, the 15th pick in the 2015 NHL Draft, who is starting a critical third pro season in his development. The 22-year-old was 14-10-24 in 66 regular-season games as a second-year pro with the P-Bruins last season.
“He’s continuing to work,” Leach said. “He’s like a lot of guys – they’re finding their game. He has got speed. He’s able to get in on forechecks. To score, he’s just got to continue to get to the net. He’s got to continue to own that puck and attack.”
Also joining Providence is 20-year-old rookie Jack Studnicka, a second-round pick (53rd) in 2017. He put up 83 points (36-47-83) in 60 regular-season OHL games between the Oshawa Generals and Niagara IceDogs.
Studnicka has made an early impression on Leach.
“He’s tenacious,” Leach said. “He’s got that fire inside of him that wants to make a difference. He has got speed and is relatively strong, I [think], for a young kid. Yeah, he’s going to need to gain some weight, but he can make plays.”
“He’s one of those players that we’ve seen where sometimes you won’t notice him a whole lot out there and then all of a sudden he has 1-1.”
Forward Anders Bjork, 23, is back in the Providence line-up after each of his first two pro seasons were wrecked by shoulder injuries. He chipped in a goal along with an assist in his opening weekend. Boston also signed Vancouver reclamation project Brendan Gaunce, who has started 2-1-3 with the P-Bruins and can be an NHL recall option.
Boston also has brought in forwards Oskar Steen (Färjestad – SHL), Jakub Lauko (Rouyn-Noranda – QMJHL), and Pavel Shen (Ufa – KHL).
Steen had 17-20-37 in 43 regular-season games last season before shifting to North America. Leach has been working them into his line-up with multiple moving pieces as the roster settles. Shen played with six different wingers in his first two games.
“It’s a little bit of that trial by fire,” Leach explained. “I pity the guy who’s actually tracking [my lines]. You try to find what works.”
“[Lauko] has speed],” Leach said of the 2018 third-rounder who made the Providence roster at age 19.
“[Shen] really was an unknown who just got over here, and he’s had a quick adjustment to the program and actually improved daily. A guy like [Shen], he’s showing more ability offensively than I was under the impression [he had]. So, I surely don’t want to limit that. I’m trying to find fits for him.”
ON TRACK
The Boston-Providence assembly line has long gone beyond on-ice talent.
Boston head coach Bruce Cassidy put in five seasons as head coach in Providence, plus three more campaigns as an assistant coach. Kevin Dean, a member of Cassidy’s staff in Boston, had five seasons in Providence as an assistant coach along with a single season as head coach.
Cassidy and Dean join head coaches Peter Laviolette (Nashville Predators) and Mike Sullivan (Pittsburgh Penguins) as Providence coaching graduates now behind NHL benches; Scott Gordon, another Providence alumnus, is back with Lehigh Valley after finishing last season as Philadelphia’s interim head coach. Former Providence head coaches Mike O’Connell, Steve Kasper, and Bob Francis also went on to NHL roles.
Leach, who played 12 pro seasons, is following that same path.
“I’m able to roll with the punches a little bit more,” he self-assessed. “You have to really think on the fly here. I can’t say I’m perfect at it. But I certainly am able to do a bit more of that.”
“And I think the other thing I’ve learned is that I’ve got to push players nightly to get them to that next level. That next level is obviously the best league in the world. And these players have to perform consistently every night to be able to [stick in the NHL]. So, it’s on me to set that standard, and hopefully I’m learning to do that a little bit better

Providence’s deep line-up prompted Boston management to assign 19-year-old defenceman Axel Andersson to the QMJHL’s Moncton Wildcats. He began the season on the Providence roster after spending last season in the Allsvenskan League with Södertälje. Boston selected him in the second round (57th) of the 2018 NHL Draft.

Last edited:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Thought you'd like this article from eliteprospects.com
Link if wanted. AROUND THE AHL: The Providence-to-Boston Bruins Pipeline, and an...

The Providence Bruins, who own the AHL’s longest-running affiliation, continue to blend development and winning that have fuelled years of NHL success for the parent Boston Bruins.
This season’s Boston roster features recent Providence graduates Jake DeBrusk, Sean Kuraly, Karson Kuhlman, plus blueliners Connor Clifton and Matt Grzelcyk. Go further back, and that list expands to David Krejci, Brad Marchand, and Tuukka Rask. Even Patrice Bergeron spent a season in Providence during the 2004-05 NHL lockout, and David Pastrnak had a limited run with the P-Bruins as well. That steady replenishment of roster depth has helped Boston to be an annual contender, including a trip to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final this past June.
Those players have developed within a winning framework an hour south in Rhode Island, where the Boston-Providence affiliation begins its 28th season in a relationship that dates to the 1992-93 season. Providence has put together seven consecutive trips to the Calder Cup Playoffs; last season the Bruins fell in the first round to the eventual Calder Cup champion Charlotte Checkers (Carolina Hurricanes) after a 38-27-8-3 regular season.
More help could be Boston-bound amid a deep group of prospects playing for head coach Jay Leach, who is starting his third season in that role with Providence. His P-Bruins took back-to-back road wins to open the regular season this past weekend and will open their home schedule on Saturday night against the Rochester Americans (Buffalo Sabres).
“It’s always an adventure early on in the season, especially with a younger group,” Leach said. “You never really know what you’ve got. It’s a classic youthful team with energy and speed.”
Much of an AHL head coach’s job involves breaking habits that players developed playing at lower levels before turning pro. Top prospects who played heavy minutes at the CHL or NCAA levels and had to manage their energy there find that such an approach is not acceptable in the pro game.
“We’ve got to find that ‘more’ in them, [and] we’ve got to find that equation for them that’s going to work at the professional level,” Leach said.
Leach singled out goaltenders Dan Vladar and Max Lagacé for praise. Vladar is a 22-year-old taken in the third round of the 2015 NHL Draft who could take a bigger role with Zane McIntyre leaving to join the Vancouver Canucks organization in the offseason. Lagacé shut out the Lehigh Valley Phantoms (Philadelphia Flyers), 3-0, in the season opener after signing with Boston from the Vegas Golden Knights this past summer.
“[Goaltending is] what makes good teams. It makes good coaches, it makes good players, it’s the key to everything,” Leach said.
But Leach’s blue line bears plenty of promise as well. Urho Vaakanainen, the 18th pick in the 2018 NHL Draft, begins his second pro season. Jakub Zboril, chosen 13th overall in the 2015 NHL Draft, is starting his third pro season. Fellow 2015 pick Jérémy Lauzon, who went in the second round that year, joins Zboril.
“[Vaakanainen and Zboril] are puck-movers,” Leach assessed. “They escape really well. They transition well.”
“We’re trying to push the offence with them, and at the next level we’ll do the same, but we want them to get pucks, get up the ice and get going. At the same time, we want to make sure that they’re squashing [opposing] plays with their sticks and their feet.”
“[Lauzon], has great feet, but he brings a bit more sandpaper again every night. So, he’ll be relied upon with a penalty kill, [competing] down low, playing that straightforward first-pass game.”
Boston may have also unearthed overlooked talent in undrafted rookie Cooper Zech, who turned pro after one NCAA season at Ferris State. Zech, 20, led the NCAA in points by a rookie defenceman (8-28-36), which earned him the WCHA Rookie of the Year award. He also won spots on the WCHA’s All-Rookie Team and First All-Star Team.
Blend that group with established pros Chris Breen, Josiah Didier, and Alex Petrovic, and the P-Bruins are in good shape.
“Our back end is a bit more proven,” Leach said.
While Leach’s back end has experience, his forwards’ mobility impresses him.
“[The forwards have] got some young legs that should give us some speed and allow us to play four lines. Hopefully we can overwhelm teams with our four lines.”
That group includes first-round talent in Trent Frederic, who was 14-11-25 in 55 regular-season games as a P-Bruins rookie. Boston took him 29th overall in the 2016 NHL Draft.
Other returning faces up front are Peter Cehlárik, Ryan Fitzgerald, Cameron Hughes, and Joona Koppanen. Veteran Paul Carey, who buried 22 goals in 30 regular-season games after a midseason trade from the Ottawa Senators, is back to provide dependable offence and serve as Providence’s new captain.
Another returnee is Zach Senyshyn, the 15th pick in the 2015 NHL Draft, who is starting a critical third pro season in his development. The 22-year-old was 14-10-24 in 66 regular-season games as a second-year pro with the P-Bruins last season.
“He’s continuing to work,” Leach said. “He’s like a lot of guys – they’re finding their game. He has got speed. He’s able to get in on forechecks. To score, he’s just got to continue to get to the net. He’s got to continue to own that puck and attack.”
Also joining Providence is 20-year-old rookie Jack Studnicka, a second-round pick (53rd) in 2017. He put up 83 points (36-47-83) in 60 regular-season OHL games between the Oshawa Generals and Niagara IceDogs.
Studnicka has made an early impression on Leach.
“He’s tenacious,” Leach said. “He’s got that fire inside of him that wants to make a difference. He has got speed and is relatively strong, I [think], for a young kid. Yeah, he’s going to need to gain some weight, but he can make plays.”
“He’s one of those players that we’ve seen where sometimes you won’t notice him a whole lot out there and then all of a sudden he has 1-1.”
Forward Anders Bjork, 23, is back in the Providence line-up after each of his first two pro seasons were wrecked by shoulder injuries. He chipped in a goal along with an assist in his opening weekend. Boston also signed Vancouver reclamation project Brendan Gaunce, who has started 2-1-3 with the P-Bruins and can be an NHL recall option.
Boston also has brought in forwards Oskar Steen (Färjestad – SHL), Jakub Lauko (Rouyn-Noranda – QMJHL), and Pavel Shen (Ufa – KHL).
Steen had 17-20-37 in 43 regular-season games last season before shifting to North America. Leach has been working them into his line-up with multiple moving pieces as the roster settles. Shen played with six different wingers in his first two games.
“It’s a little bit of that trial by fire,” Leach explained. “I pity the guy who’s actually tracking [my lines]. You try to find what works.”
“[Lauko] has speed],” Leach said of the 2018 third-rounder who made the Providence roster at age 19.
“[Shen] really was an unknown who just got over here, and he’s had a quick adjustment to the program and actually improved daily. A guy like [Shen], he’s showing more ability offensively than I was under the impression [he had]. So, I surely don’t want to limit that. I’m trying to find fits for him.”
ON TRACK
The Boston-Providence assembly line has long gone beyond on-ice talent.
Boston head coach Bruce Cassidy put in five seasons as head coach in Providence, plus three more campaigns as an assistant coach. Kevin Dean, a member of Cassidy’s staff in Boston, had five seasons in Providence as an assistant coach along with a single season as head coach.
Cassidy and Dean join head coaches Peter Laviolette (Nashville Predators) and Mike Sullivan (Pittsburgh Penguins) as Providence coaching graduates now behind NHL benches; Scott Gordon, another Providence alumnus, is back with Lehigh Valley after finishing last season as Philadelphia’s interim head coach. Former Providence head coaches Mike O’Connell, Steve Kasper, and Bob Francis also went on to NHL roles.
Leach, who played 12 pro seasons, is following that same path.
“I’m able to roll with the punches a little bit more,” he self-assessed. “You have to really think on the fly here. I can’t say I’m perfect at it. But I certainly am able to do a bit more of that.”
“And I think the other thing I’ve learned is that I’ve got to push players nightly to get them to that next level. That next level is obviously the best league in the world. And these players have to perform consistently every night to be able to [stick in the NHL]. So, it’s on me to set that standard, and hopefully I’m learning to do that a little bit better

Providence’s deep line-up prompted Boston management to assign 19-year-old defenceman Axel Andersson to the QMJHL’s Moncton Wildcats. He began the season on the Providence roster after spending last season in the Allsvenskan League with Södertälje. Boston selected him in the second round (57th) of the 2018 NHL Draft.

Man poor Danton Heinen gets ignored there too!

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
My Game #3 thoughts:

-- Bjork was once again the best player on the ice.
-- Lauko was the second best player. He was hustling all night and looked more confident with the puck.
-- Hughes was also good. He would've gotten higher marks if he scored on the penalty shot.
-- Zboril's best game of the season. He was solid at both ends of the ice and used his speed on a few nice breakouts.
-- Senyshyn's best game as well. He drew two penalties, had two good scoring chances in the slot, and screened the goalie on Bjork's goal.
-- Zech just looks like a NHL player.
-- Urho had two assists but I didn't think it was his best game defensively and he was sloppy with a couple passes.
-- Frederic didn't stand out much to me.
-- Same goes for Studnicka aside from one partial breakaway that he got stopped on.
-- I was ready to say the same about Steen until the last shift where he scored the GWG.
-- Paul Carey was downright bad tonight.
-- They really need to work on their PP. They can start by getting Petrovic and Lantosi off of it.
Game 4 thoughts?

BruinsNetwork

Zboril seems to be closing his old book and writing a new one. Impressed by his rekindled relationship with two-way hockey. Still not the best in his own zone, but his two-way play has improved and he’s making some nice offensive plays.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Zboril seems to be closing his old book and writing a new one. Impressed by his rekindled relationship with two-way hockey. Still not the best in his own zone, but his two-way play has improved and he’s making some nice offensive plays.

On Sunday, he was one of the few bright spots on defense. I thought his two way play was excellent. He kept it simple and looked good doing it.

Reactions: PepeBostones

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
Game 4 thoughts?

Since you asked...I pretty much agree with what everyone else had to say:

-- Pretty sloppy game for the P-Bruins. I am starting to sound like a broken record but the PP looks clueless (even with the Cehlarik goal). Bjork seems like the only one moving around looking to make plays...everyone else is standing still, slapping the puck around until they turn it over or take a low percentage shot. This team needs more playmakers.
-- Bjork continues to shine.
-- Zboril had a really solid weekend in all 3 zones.
-- Unfortunately can't say the same about Urho. He took two penalties yesterday and had a couple lapses.
-- Petrovic had been solid defensively in the first three games but not so much yesterday -- including a bad pass on the PP that led to a SHG. Hopefully it was just a bad day for him.
-- Cehlarik was up and down. He had a nice shot on the goal and had one or two other good chances but also made some sloppy plays. Hopefully he knocked off the rust.
-- Carey was pretty bad once again. He's supposed to be their veteran star who racks up points and helps them win...aside from the first game, that hasn't been the case. This team is going to struggle if he doesn't step it up.
-- Senyshyn was OK. He drew two penalties and had a couple decent shots -- not to mention dropping the gloves. I wish the AHL shared TOI because I'd be really curious to see his. He tends to get a regular PK shift but it doesn't seem like he gets much at ES and minimal PP time. No, he hasn't been dominating but he also hasn't been bad enough to warrant being stuck on the 4th line at times (though Leach does seem to mix things up during games quite a bit so he has gotten some shifts in the top 6 as well but definitely not regularly).
-- Steen had more energy than Saturday but not much to show for it.
-- Frederic & Studnicka continue to underwhelm me so far. It seems like plays often die when the puck is on their stick...I'd like to see fewer turnovers from them.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Since you asked...I pretty much agree with what everyone else had to say:

-- Pretty sloppy game for the P-Bruins. I am starting to sound like a broken record but the PP looks clueless (even with the Cehlarik goal). Bjork seems like the only one moving around looking to make plays...everyone else is standing still, slapping the puck around until they turn it over or take a low percentage shot. This team needs more playmakers.
-- Bjork continues to shine.
-- Zboril had a really solid weekend in all 3 zones.
-- Unfortunately can't say the same about Urho. He took two penalties yesterday and had a couple lapses.
-- Petrovic had been solid defensively in the first three games but not so much yesterday -- including a bad pass on the PP that led to a SHG. Hopefully it was just a bad day for him.
-- Cehlarik was up and down. He had a nice shot on the goal and had one or two other good chances but also made some sloppy plays. Hopefully he knocked off the rust.
-- Carey was pretty bad once again. He's supposed to be their veteran star who racks up points and helps them win...aside from the first game, that hasn't been the case. This team is going to struggle if he doesn't step it up.
-- Senyshyn was OK. He drew two penalties and had a couple decent shots -- not to mention dropping the gloves. I wish the AHL shared TOI because I'd be really curious to see his. He tends to get a regular PK shift but it doesn't seem like he gets much at ES and minimal PP time. No, he hasn't been dominating but he also hasn't been bad enough to warrant being stuck on the 4th line at times (though Leach does seem to mix things up during games quite a bit so he has gotten some shifts in the top 6 as well but definitely not regularly).
-- Steen had more energy than Saturday but not much to show for it.
-- Frederic & Studnicka continue to underwhelm me so far. It seems like plays often die when the puck is on their stick...I'd like to see fewer turnovers from them.

Will be the best out of the three picks when all is said and done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad