Providence Bruins General Discussion VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
Finally decided to get AHLTV...my thoughts on Game #1:

-- Bjork looked to be on another level. He was dangerous everytime he had the puck. I don't think he'll be in the AHL for very long.
-- Studnicka looked confident with the puck as well but twice he had it between the circles with a clear shot and decided to pass instead (with no success)...I recall him having a good shot in juniors so he should look to use it more.
-- Zech is a treat to watch with the puck. He is very confident...he reminds me a lot of Gryz. Not sure why he doesn't already have a NHL contract...I'm afraid another team will catch on and swoop in on him.
-- Thought Urho was good...he was very active up and down the ice.
-- Lauzon was solid as usual.
-- Not sure why Petrovic was getting PP time....dude had 50 points in 263 NHL games.
-- Senyshyn seemed to be fighting the puck all night. I thought his speed wasn't an issue at all (aside from one long shift that he was gassed on) -- it stood out particularly on the forecheck, PK, and there was one time when he flew the defensive zone and a d-man lofted it out towards him. It was a little too far ahead for a breakaway but he almost set up Fitzgerald for a goal on it.
-- Steen looked OK but was pretty quiet for most of the game. He did make a nice defensive play that led to the nice assist on Carey's goal.
-- Lauko was also pretty quiet as well. You can see the speed but it didn't translate to much offense on this night. There was one impressive moment when a d-man stepped up on him near the blueline and Lauko braced for the hit and dropped him.
-- Zboril looked like the same Jakub we saw in the preseason...solid offensively but occasional sloppiness in his own zone. Not bad overall though.
-- Didn't see much from Frederic...was involved in a couple 2-on-1's but nothing came from them. He tried to fight Rubtsov so I guess he gets credit for that?

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Not sure why he doesn't already have a NHL contract...I'm afraid another team will catch on and swoop in on him.

In order for any team, including the Boston Bruins, to sign Zech, he and the Providence management would need to agree to a mutual termination of his current contract. So, while it is hypothetically possible for that to happen and another team to offer Zech a contract after, there is no chance of that happening in the real world.

Reactions: bbfan419

HellFish89

Sep 28, 2018
The line in the 1st period, seems like they are playing equal as of now.

Steen-Studnicka-Carey
Fitzgerald-Gaunce-Hughes
Lauko-Shen-Bjork
Senyshyn-Frederic-Woods

5 on 3 unit:

Bjork-Gaunce-Fitzgerald
Petrovic-Vaakanainen

Other PP unit:
Steen-Studnicka-Carey
Zboril-Zech

PK:
Hughes-Frederic

Senyshyn-Studnicka

3 on 5
Studnicka
Vaakanainen-Petrovic

Hughes
Vaakanainen-Petrovic

Now trying on the PP

Hughes-Carey-Studnicka
Zech-Steen

Last edited:

HellFish89

Sep 28, 2018
The line in the 1st period, seems like they are playing equal as of now.

Steen-Studnicka-Carey
Fitzgerald-Gaunce-Hughes
Lauko-Shen-Bjork
Senyshyn-Frederic-Woods

Only saw the last 10 minutes of the 1st, but the first 3 lines had some good scoring chances.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Gaunce from petrovic in ot to end it. Bad play by Phoenix Copley couldn’t handle a pretty harmless shot by petrovic and gaunce was there to tap in the rebound. Copley and vladar both played very well in net for both teams. Vladar looked particularly strong on the 5-3 in the 2nd with a few big saves

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Was happy with Lauzons overall play and was nice to see him stick up for a teammate. Look forward to him in Boston next year.

Will say this about Bjork, if he simplifies his game he has a 10 year NHL career ahead of him. Needs to use his plus speed and shot to drive the net. His hockey sense is very good but he over handles, at least at this level. But I do see more in him than another bottom 6 forward.

Gaunce could be a bottom 6 guy on a number of teams in the NHL.

Last edited:

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
My Game #2 thoughts:

-- Sloppy game with a lot of dumb penalties. PB's power play wasn't very good including on a 5-on-3 (which Petrovic was on). Conversely the PK was excellent and is 12/12 so far this season.
-- Vladar was superb. He made a number of difficult saves. He had no chance on the only goal.
-- Gaunce is quickly becoming my favorite P-Bruin. Even before the GWG, he was great defensively (particularly on the PK).
-- Studnicka needs to shoot the f***ing puck. In the first period he fired a laser wrist shot and rang the post on what wasn't a particularly dangerous play. Later he was wide open in the slot and chose to pass (incomplete). Then in OT the goalie was down and out, Studnicka has the puck at the side of the net and rather than try to flip it over the goalie (admittedly from a bit of a tricky angle), he passes it towards the middle into a crowd (incomplete).
-- Steen had two grade-A chances but got stoned by Copley.
-- Bjork was dangerous once again.
-- Urho lost a couple footraces in his d-zone but otherwise was solid.
-- Frederic does look faster but his stickhandling worries me. He loses the puck way too easily when trying to make plays. He was quite physical though.
-- Senyshyn had one really good scoring chance on a 2-on-1 where he kicked an off-target pass to his stick -- but otherwise he didn't do much. He took a bad penalty while shorthanded to give Hershey a 5-on-3. It also looked like he got demoted to the 4th line with Shen & Woods midway through the game.
-- Typical Zboril...looks fine most of the game then has an AWFUL giveaway on the PK that directly resulted in a goal. He literally had the whole ice to shoot the puck down and shot it into an opponent in his own zone for some reason. A few minutes later he almost scored on Vladar by banking a pass off a defender when he, once again, had plenty of open lanes. It is only two games so I will cut him some slack but he can be maddening to watch.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
The great
Vladar ( At least 4 game saver saves)

The very good
Bjork (probably the only guy who showed any kind of NHL talent all game, not that he was amazing but he stood out a few times,good on the back check , even made a few good hits)

The good
Lauzon (Good fight sticking up for teammate and generally solid )

Gaunce (Looked good on PK, forechecking hard late in the game , and of course the GWG, truth be told kinda weak on the goalie but we'll take it.

The Ok
Stud (hit crossbar in the 1st and buzzed a bit but not more than that, took a penalty in OT, always a no,no)

Steen (couple of good chances to score)

Seny (looked way more in his zone at this level, did some PK effectively, got caught sleeping on a good scoring chance,had another good chance in the 3rd .

Petrovic ( generally solid , looks way more comfortable at this level, started the play on the winning goal)

The Brutal
Zboril set up the tying goal, sadly it was for Hersey on a brutal give away. Also, another brutal give away late in the game, he didn't have a good game to put it nicely.

General Takeaways
Crazy how you see players at this level playing completely different roles than the one they play at the NHL level.

Copley got away with displacing the net when the heat was on .........twice.

Matt Moulson was doing some pretty hard hitting for a guy who used to be a goal scorer.

The Pk was pretty good

The PP was not

The team looked to be at about the same level as the big team. Both have lots of room for improvement and both might have won games they should have lost this week-end

LouisSleigher

Jul 6, 2013
SW Ohio
My Game #2 thoughts:

-- Sloppy game with a lot of dumb penalties. PB's power play wasn't very good including on a 5-on-3 (which Petrovic was on). Conversely the PK was excellent and is 12/12 so far this season.
-- Vladar was superb. He made a number of difficult saves. He had no chance on the only goal.
-- Gaunce is quickly becoming my favorite P-Bruin. Even before the GWG, he was great defensively (particularly on the PK).
-- Studnicka needs to shoot the f***ing puck. In the first period he fired a laser wrist shot and rang the post on what wasn't a particularly dangerous play. Later he was wide open in the slot and chose to pass (incomplete). Then in OT the goalie was down and out, Studnicka has the puck at the side of the net and rather than try to flip it over the goalie (admittedly from a bit of a tricky angle), he passes it towards the middle into a crowd (incomplete).
-- Steen had two grade-A chances but got stoned by Copley.
-- Bjork was dangerous once again.
-- Urho lost a couple footraces in his d-zone but otherwise was solid.
-- Frederic does look faster but his stickhandling worries me. He loses the puck way too easily when trying to make plays. He was quite physical though.
-- Senyshyn had one really good scoring chance on a 2-on-1 where he kicked an off-target pass to his stick -- but otherwise he didn't do much. He took a bad penalty while shorthanded to give Hershey a 5-on-3. It also looked like he got demoted to the 4th line with Shen & Woods midway through the game.
-- Typical Zboril...looks fine most of the game then has an AWFUL giveaway on the PK that directly resulted in a goal. He literally had the whole ice to shoot the puck down and shot it into an opponent in his own zone for some reason. A few minutes later he almost scored on Vladar by banking a pass off a defender when he, once again, had plenty of open lanes. It is only two games so I will cut him some slack but he can be maddening to watch.
Good analysis; I basically concur on everything.

In addition to Senyshyn's bad penalty, Lauko and Studnicka also took ill-timed penalties, but those guys are still pretty green and need time to mature.

We looked bad on the PP, but Hershey is a great PK team.

Not particularly impressed with Petrovic.

Zech did his thing and moved the puck well.

Vladar, as you indicated, was excellent, and made some spectacular saves.

Glad you mentioned Gaunce as I really liked his game. Good size and speed and an excellent penalty killer. Jumped on a rebound and scored the OT goal. He could be a serviceable 4th liner in Boston if injuries strike.

Reactions: bbfan419

Malt

Jul 6, 2007
Providence, RI
Thanks to everyone for the updates. Admittedly, I didn't watch the games in their entirety, but here's a few thoughts:

-Bjork was really flying out there. He needs to utilize his speed to make more plays, but his confidence is off the charts.

-Steen is keeper, for sure. Although he ended up with "only" 1 assist for the weekend, his play was strong. He'll be putting up a lot of points this
year.

-Studnicka was OK, he needs a few more games to get comfortable. I'm still surprised that several knowledgeable fans/writers thought he would be a candidate for RW next to Marchand and Bergeron to start the year.

-Gaunce was solid. He's sort of a stronger version of Szwarz --- physical but with plenty of skill at this level.

-On D, I thought Vaak and Didier were solid. Petrovic was OK; I think he's a right handed shot in the right place at the right time.

-Both goalies were strong all weekend.

Last edited:

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Was happy with Lauzons overall play and was nice to see him stick up for a teammate. Look forward to him in Boston next year.

Will say this about Bjork, if he simplifies his game he has a 10 year NHL career ahead of him. Needs to use his plus speed and shot to drive the net. His hockey sense is very good but he over handles, at least at this level. But I do see more in him than another bottom 6 forward.

Gaunce could be a bottom 6 guy on a number of teams in the NHL.
I would take Gaunce on the 4th line for Boston over Ritchie, Backes and Lindholm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad