Status
Not open for further replies.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
2018-2019 Final Grades ,Prospects only
Defense
Connor Clifton Mid Season grade A-,promoted to Boston, will stay in Boston ,the kid is a hockey player.
Cooper Zech - Should I say they struck Gold again in the College FA market? Yes I should... another rock star in the making, the 20 year old is very polished for his age, a Krug/Grzelcyk hybrid whom I'm not sure who he's most like at this point, adjusted well to the speed difference from School to pro's,showed durability,especially those first few games where he got creamed,does all the good things these smaller puck movers do,decent defender which leaves me to speculate he could possibly be better than the 2 I mentioned above,start reading up on him cause I think he's going to be crazy good. Grade Inc. only played 16 games
Jakub Zboril Mid season grade B, missed some time with injuries but was called up to Boston for 2 games, Imo was the best defender during the playoffs,did seem to regress a bit offensively,still prone to poor decision making but overall solid in his own end,still a work in progress though I think he can play in the NHL right now on the right team with the right Coach, at this point being the #1 guy in Providence beats being #7 in Boston,yes there were better players taken after him in 2015 but he doesn't suck,he'll make it.Final Grade B+
Jeremy Lauzon Mid season grade A,injuries again struck him down,only played 29 games in Providence,16 in Boston,was laboring in the playoff's,clearly not 100% but when he's healthy he's a stud,going forward what's best for him and the organization? injuries aside I don't think he needs more AHL time.Ready for prime time or possible trade bait? he'd look good in a Leafs uniform...
Final Grade B+
Emil Johasson Mid season grade B-, he's hard to project, he plays a very simple defense first,safe game but is inconsistent moving the puck, was yanked in and out of the lineup which he always struggled with when put back in,didn't play in the playoffs which I found to be disappointing,he's got a ton of pro experience for being almost 23, He's a second tier prospect whom I can't close the door completely on yet. Final Grade B-
Urho Vaakanainen I can't remember his Mid Season grade but I'm sure it was good
Looked the part early in the season,called up,concussed ,out for Months, had a very strong World Juniors,Wins Gold,starts ramping it up again in Providence,hurt again,comes back, looks terrible ,misses all sorts of time, plays in the playoff's, looks to be at 80%,not even close to the level at the start of the season,really disappointing
When healthy he's one of the best defensive prospect in the 2 divisions we play(Jake Bean is the other one). I'm backing off saying he's in the NHL at the start of the season,Imo he needs another 40+ AHL games and I see scenario where he's called up and never goes back
Final Grade Inc.
Victor Bergund ,played 4 games in Providence,had a goal and an assist in very limited playing time,looked like an 8th grader playing Varsity,can certainly shoot and move the puck,I can see why they took a flier on him in round seven back in 2017, I think staying in Sweden and making a SHL team is best for him,desperately needs weight gain,He's only 19,assuming all goes well I'd sign him and loan him out like they did with Axel Andersson next year,there's no rush.
Wiley Sherman Big Sherms Mid season grade C+, was outclassed in the beginning of the year,poor positioning,bad angles,bad reads,at times timid and soft but as the season wore on he improved,had a few fights,scored a few goals,overall was a decent bottom pairing player that had some ups and downs and no real responsibilities,he's another second tier prospect that didn't play in the playoff's
Final Grade C+

Thanks SE...love your insight. Is Zach officially signed by the bruins?

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Thanks SE...love your insight. Is Zach officially signed by the bruins?
Cooper Zech Signs With Providence Bruins

Does this mean he can leave the bruins organization?

The Boston Bruins organization has signed an undrafted college free agent, but not to an NHL contract. Cooper Zech has agreed to a two-year AHL contract that will kick in next season according to Mark Divver of the Providence Journal. Zech will join the Providence Bruins for the rest of this year on a tryout contract.
Divver states that Zech “wanted out” of Ferris State University, where he played just one season. The 20-year old defenseman went undrafted despite putting up points at every level, likely because of his small frame. The 5’9″ Zech didn’t let his stature stop him from performing on the collegiate stage though, as he recorded 28 points in 36 games. The left-handed puck-mover is another lottery ticket, though Boston doesn’t actually own his rights given the AHL contract.
Still, Zech will jump into the organization’s player development system and could very well earn himself an NHL entry-level deal down the road. There might be quite a bit of time before that happens, but he’ll have the benefit of working with professional coaches while earning a minor league salary. At this point he will also not count towards Boston’s 50-contract limit.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Cooper Zech Signs With Providence Bruins

Does this mean he can leave the bruins organization?

The Boston Bruins organization has signed an undrafted college free agent, but not to an NHL contract. Cooper Zech has agreed to a two-year AHL contract that will kick in next season according to Mark Divver of the Providence Journal. Zech will join the Providence Bruins for the rest of this year on a tryout contract.
Divver states that Zech “wanted out” of Ferris State University, where he played just one season. The 20-year old defenseman went undrafted despite putting up points at every level, likely because of his small frame. The 5’9″ Zech didn’t let his stature stop him from performing on the collegiate stage though, as he recorded 28 points in 36 games. The left-handed puck-mover is another lottery ticket, though Boston doesn’t actually own his rights given the AHL contract.
Still, Zech will jump into the organization’s player development system and could very well earn himself an NHL entry-level deal down the road. There might be quite a bit of time before that happens, but he’ll have the benefit of working with professional coaches while earning a minor league salary. At this point he will also not count towards Boston’s 50-contract limit.
Technically he could sign with another NHL club

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Final Grades Forwards ,Prospects only

Anton Blidh Mid Season grade A, The rugged Swedish Army knife did it all for Providence and on many nights would be the lone bright spot,never took shifts off and is probably the most antagonistic player in the AHL,did run out of steam from overuse late in the season, signed a very team friendly 2 year deal that gives Sweeney room to maneuver, he's ready for 4th line duty in Boston.
Final Grade A
Trent Frederic Mid Season Grade B+, Not a bad first pro season for TFred,had some growing pains especially at the dot early on,was concussed from a pretty viscous cheap shot but recovered and impressed enough to get multiple recalls to Boston, has a killer wrist shot and is a shoot first type player,played in all situations and had an average Playoff,going forward expect the Bruins Ministry of Propaganda to pump his stock up prior to camp but realistically he'll start in Providence and follow the same template as this year,which I felt worked for him. I'd like to see some serious time at RW.
Final Grade B+
Gemel Smith Mid Season Grade Inc, a free gift from Dallas is a higher end AHL player,don't see an NHL future in Boston, I'm interested in seeing how this plays out,I assume Boston will tender him and I'd keep him around,he's got a very high compete level and was one of the better Bruins players in the playoff's till he was concussed out.I still find it interesting that Dallas didn't reclaim him when waived from Boston...
Final Grade B+
Cam Hughes Mid Season Grade A, late season knee injury basically derailed a rookie of the year performance, Krejci like vision and touch,smooth skater,good shooter and can play in all situations, coach's dream. Going forward get healthy ,put on weight ,have a good camp and start the season hot,he should be in the mix for a call up next season
Final Grade B+
Ryan Fitzgerald Mid Season Grade B+, crazy and inconsistent season for the second year pro,started very slow,was very disappointing in his own end but found his game to the point he became the go to guy, was Providence's leading scorer and best player for some time, picked to the All Star team though he didn't play due to injury and then the wheels came off,most likely due to a nagging injury, Fitz eventually was a fixture on the 4th line. Has 1 more year left of his entry deal,will still be a RFA. All options are on the table though if they move on from PC and JFK he might survive till next year.
Final Grade C
Karson Kulman Mid Season Grade B,early on you could see he had "it" and best part is I don't think he's done developing,we won't see him again in Providence unless he has a conditioning stint
Joona Koppanen forgot about him Mid season... He's big and slow and loads the musket when he shoots,I don't know why they signed him so early,they clearly misread something with their European scouts,he'll head back to Europe at some point
Final Grade C-
JFK Another one whom I forgot his Mid Season Grade on, As I've stated before Sweeney jumped the Shark forcing him out of College early and I hope they learned their lesson, had they waited I believe we'd see a better and more consistent JFK,a lost more time with injuries, seems to only play in second gear and as #BruinsNetwork has said lacks the "Wow" factor, however on many nights can play a dominate 2 way game,is almost unbeatable at the Dot, was called up for 28 games and if we're honest about it he wasn't bad and there were some who felt he was the better choice over Frederic,was woeful during the playoffs,ghost like. Mark Allred posted the scoop that Boston was looking to move him,Allred has a good reputation with me so I'm inclined to believe it.
I guess we'll see but believe it or not JFK still has interest around the league,they won't give him away
Final Grade B
Peter Cehlarik Mid Season Grade B+, Peter the great earned his call up after starting very slow, unfortunately his warts were toooo great to hide in the NHL . his drop passes to the other team were dreadful ,momentum killers and he seemed to go through the motions in the playoffs, he's the other one Allred said will be moved,I can see Cehlarik's camp initiating that.
But everything that's wrong with him is fixable,he's got talent,the right coach on the right team and Boston looks dumb again,just saying
He's gone by camp
Final Grade B-
Zach Senyshyn Mid Season Grade B-,Everyone's favorite prospect and for the record I get more PM's about him than anyone else,at this point what can I say,not the kids fault they took him where they did and he's working hard to becoming an NHL player, fact is he improved by bounds over last year to where he's a fixture on the PP and PK, effort is there,however points are not which frustrates me, Game 1 in Boston he plays well,everyone is happy,Angst level is low and then in game 2 has a good first period and then disappears,that's the ZS season in Providence in a nutshell,his missing piece is lack of being able to put his stamp on the whole game not just 1 period, forget about living up to his draft status,completely unfair,that's on Sweeney,he's almost close enough to becoming a viable NHL player,where?That's up to him ,he's got the size,the speed,the shot,does that responsible stuff in his own end,was a beast on the forecheck but for some strange reason they reined him in,yeah he does some dumb stuff here and there but they all do. At this point stay the course,they all like him down there cause he works hard and isn't a dick so cut the kid some slack and let the process play out.
Shame on the Soo Greyhounds
Final Grade B
Jack Studnicka There's alot to like about Capt Jack be be warned don't buy into the Bruins Pre Season Hype Machine,let him play the full year in Providence and reep the long term benefits of it in 2021

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia

Anton Blidh Mid Season grade A, The rugged Swedish Army knife did it all for Providence and on many nights would be the lone bright spot,never took shifts off and is probably the most antagonistic player in the AHL,did run out of steam from overuse late in the season, signed a very team friendly 2 year deal that gives Sweeney room to maneuver, he's ready for 4th line duty in Boston.
Final Grade A
Trent Frederic Mid Season Grade B+, Not a bad first pro season for TFred,had some growing pains especially at the dot early on,was concussed from a pretty viscous cheap shot but recovered and impressed enough to get multiple recalls to Boston, has a killer wrist shot and is a shoot first type player,played in all situations and had an average Playoff,going forward expect the Bruins Ministry of Propaganda to pump his stock up prior to camp but realistically he'll start in Providence and follow the same template as this year,which I felt worked for him. I'd like to see some serious time at RW.
Final Grade B+
Gemel Smith Mid Season Grade Inc, a free gift from Dallas is a higher end AHL player,don't see an NHL future in Boston, I'm interested in seeing how this plays out,I assume Boston will tender him and I'd keep him around,he's got a very high compete level and was one of the better Bruins players in the playoff's till he was concussed out.I still find it interesting that Dallas didn't reclaim him when waived from Boston...
Final Grade B+
Cam Hughes Mid Season Grade A, late season knee injury basically derailed a rookie of the year performance, Krejci like vision and touch,smooth skater,good shooter and can play in all situations, coach's dream. Going forward get healthy ,put on weight ,have a good camp and start the season hot,he should be in the mix for a call up next season
Final Grade B+
Ryan Fitzgerald Mid Season Grade B+, crazy and inconsistent season for the second year pro,started very slow,was very disappointing in his own end but found his game to the point he became the go to guy, was Providence's leading scorer and best player for some time, picked to the All Star team though he didn't play due to injury and then the wheels came off,most likely due to a nagging injury, Fitz eventually was a fixture on the 4th line. Has 1 more year left of his entry deal,will still be a RFA. All options are on the table though if they move on from PC and JFK he might survive till next year.
Final Grade C
Karson Kulman Mid Season Grade B,early on you could see he had "it" and best part is I don't think he's done developing,we won't see him again in Providence unless he has a conditioning stint
Joona Koppanen forgot about him Mid season... He's big and slow and loads the musket when he shoots,I don't know why they signed him so early,they clearly misread something with their European scouts,he'll head back to Europe at some point
Final Grade C-
JFK Another one whom I forgot his Mid Season Grade on, As I've stated before Sweeney jumped the Shark forcing him out of College early and I hope they learned their lesson, had they waited I believe we'd see a better and more consistent JFK,a lost more time with injuries, seems to only play in second gear and as #BruinsNetwork has said lacks the "Wow" factor, however on many nights can play a dominate 2 way game,is almost unbeatable at the Dot, was called up for 28 games and if we're honest about it he wasn't bad and there were some who felt he was the better choice over Frederic,was woeful during the playoffs,ghost like. Mark Allred posted the scoop that Boston was looking to move him,Allred has a good reputation with me so I'm inclined to believe it.
I guess we'll see but believe it or not JFK still has interest around the league,they won't give him away
Final Grade B
Peter Cehlarik Mid Season Grade B+, Peter the great earned his call up after starting very slow, unfortunately his warts were toooo great to hide in the NHL . his drop passes to the other team were dreadful ,momentum killers and he seemed to go through the motions in the playoffs, he's the other one Allred said will be moved,I can see Cehlarik's camp initiating that.
But everything that's wrong with him is fixable,he's got talent,the right coach on the right team and Boston looks dumb again,just saying
He's gone by camp
Final Grade B-
Zach Senyshyn Mid Season Grade B-,Everyone's favorite prospect and for the record I get more PM's about him than anyone else,at this point what can I say,not the kids fault they took him where they did and he's working hard to becoming an NHL player, fact is he improved by bounds over last year to where he's a fixture on the PP and PK, effort is there,however points are not which frustrates me, Game 1 in Boston he plays well,everyone is happy,Angst level is low and then in game 2 has a good first period and then disappears,that's the ZS season in Providence in a nutshell,his missing piece is lack of being able to put his stamp on the whole game not just 1 period, forget about living up to his draft status,completely unfair,that's on Sweeney,he's almost close enough to becoming a viable NHL player,where?That's up to him ,he's got the size,the speed,the shot,does that responsible stuff in his own end,was a beast on the forecheck but for some strange reason they reined him in,yeah he does some dumb stuff here and there but they all do. At this point stay the course,they all like him down there cause he works hard and isn't a dick so cut the kid some slack and let the process play out.
Final Grade B
Jack Studnicka There's alot to like about Capt Jack be be warned don't buy into the Bruins Pre Season Hype Machine,let him play the full year in Providence and reep the long term benefits of it in 2021

Thanks for doing this . I love reading about players in the Bruin system that I do not get to see

Reactions: jangerhofer

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Eric, great stuff, as usual.

I’m not surprised that Cehlarik and JFK still have value around the league. They are both skilled players and it sounded to me like JFK was really good down the stretch and in the brief playoff run.

Regarding Zech. I suspect that the B’s had some sort of handshake agreement with him and sign him to an NHL deal at some point. They probably wanted to get a better look at him and it sounds like he passed the test.

Also, even though I sometimes question the character of today’s youth, I think most young people are stand up individuals. The B’s took a chance and signed Zech to an AHL deal. I don’t see him jumping ship after they gave him that opportunity.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Eric, great stuff, as usual.
Regarding Zech. I suspect that the B’s had some sort of handshake agreement with him and sign him to an NHL deal at some point. They probably wanted to get a better look at him and it sounds like he passed the test.

This is pretty common. Because NHL teams are limited to 50 contracts, more and more teams are using AHL deals to sign depth players and good - but maybe more longshot - prospects as a tryout and an opportunity to earn an NHL contract (which also keeps teams from burning an ELC). Toronto, especially, is signing a ton of guys to AHL deals (and AHL/ECHL two-ways) with the idea of developing depth prospects and some late-bloomers.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I'm really not sure they would fetch much, but I'd consider packaging them to a cap floor team with Backes (if he approves) for a pick and maybe then sign a UFA with the savings...or they may just need the space to lock up McAvoy/Carlo/Heinen.

agree - they are probably each worth about a 3rd round pick. i'd sacrifice both without hesitation to be rid of the
backes deal. and even throw in more.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
agree - they are probably each worth about a 3rd round pick. i'd sacrifice both without hesitation to be rid of the
backes deal. and even throw in more.

Can we throw Fitzy into the package as well. He might be worth a 7th round pick from someone. I guess they probably want to keep some career AHL leadership around, so Fitzy might stay

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

Final Grade A
Final Grade B+
Final Grade B+
Final Grade B+
Final Grade C
Final Grade C-
Final Grade B
He's gone by camp
Final Grade B-
Final Grade B

Thank you for doing this, very informative.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Could Swayman be foregoing his final year with the Black Bears? I see Vlad and Keyser with Pro and the third guy with ECHL Atlanta.
It's possible but he is still a sophomore so 2 years of eligibility remain.

My hope is that the Bruins are able to sign Providence College UFA Hawkey this summer. If it is Hawkey at age 24, he's likely to be in Prov and Keyser would go to the ECHL as a full time starter.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
It's possible but he is still a sophomore so 2 years of eligibility remain.

My hope is that the Bruins are able to sign Providence College UFA Hawkey this summer. If it is Hawkey at age 24, he's likely to be in Prov and Keyser would go to the ECHL as a full time starter.

Wait, a hockey player named Hawkey? To quote Kramer "that is like an ice cream man named Cone."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->