Providence Bruins General Discussion VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
as tough as you are on JFK, the good news is that he looked better when called up this time around vs last season

I sincerely believe, his issue is lack of tip top conditioning and some more mass. He needs to live at the gym this offseason

Frederic 1st stint with the parent club I thought was positive. He didn't score a point but did most of the "little" things well. Good at FO. Used his body well in regarding to protecting the puck and throwing bodychecks around

near the end of his stints he tried to get fancy with passes, stick handling (guessing to notch a point?) that he got himself in trouble. If he can develop/translate skills at the next level that would be nice, otherwise he should stick to simple plays and model his game after Jenner/Foligno
not sure I`m "tough" on JFK, actually like the kids skill set, saw some nice things from him but also saw a kid get pushed off the puck by a sneeze from the opposition. Either way, in order for one of our kids in the system to secure a full time spot, being ok isn`t enough, they have to impress to the point that the decision makers are forced to keep them up with the big club

We see it all the time with all teams, they have players who appear to be on track and are ready or almost ready for NHL action but it becomes a numbers thing, ready but no spot for them on their NHL teams roster.

Always believed strong drafting is so important as it`ll provide clubs with affordable kids who can play on their roster and/or if they develop and appear ready or soon to be ready, they can be used as an asset in a deal to acquire a need. I think JFK will fall into the 2nd option

YouTakeTheVan

Feb 6, 2017
If they can make it work, it's better off for the players & the organization to trade from depth. JFK did pretty well with Boston this year, if another team wants him at 3C that would be ideal.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
and "potential" is all JFK has at this point too, while he`s looked ok in his stints, he`s done little to convince me he`s remotely close to claiming a full time NHL role in this organization, might be a simple case of numbers and opportunities for him and those are limited.

Yes Bergy and DK are on the wrong side of 30, and while Bergy appears a bit off thus far in the playoffs, IMO, that isn`t an age thing, I think something is bothering him and it`s not the opponent he`s facing but he had a terrific season as did DK. I see both being able to put together another 2 solid years and then we`ll likely see a decline but that hasn`t happened yet and the B`s are working on succession plans with Frederic/Studsy and who knows who they`ll draft this year.

Frederic didn`t do a ton with his opportunity either but he`s a rook who I would wager the B`s could see playing a bottom 6 role far easier than JKF down the road

JFK looked better than Frederic in Boston, that's for sure. I just don't understand why a team would trade one of its few center prospects when Boston's #1 and #2 centers are getting a little long in the tooth. Maybe, however, the rumor of JFK being moved would be as part of a deal to acquire an established center who could eventually replace Bergeron or Krejci.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Except that center is not a depth position for the organization.

Studnicka and Frederic if they move JFK. Then it ends. I always hope they go BPA in the draft, but I really hope that coincides with the center prospect spot and they go that route. They really need to try and add a high upside center in this draft. Coyle being here next season helps a lot as we don't need to rush one of Studnicka/Frederic/JFK to the NHL.

YouTakeTheVan

Feb 6, 2017
Except that center is not a depth position for the organization.
It depends how you count, doesn't it?

We have at most one center opening next season and JFK is not at the top of the list of candidates and may be near the bottom.

We don't have depth in centers with top 6 potential -- but does JFK have it?

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
It depends how you count, doesn't it?

We have at most one center opening next season and JFK is not at the top of the list of candidates and may be near the bottom.

We don't have depth in centers with top 6 potential -- but does JFK have it?

As of right now we don't have any center spots opening next season. Bergeron, Krejci, Coyle and Kuraly are all signed.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
As of right now we don't have any center spots opening next season. Bergeron, Krejci, Coyle and Kuraly are all signed.

Agree, for the next year at least we are covered- the only caveat would be Kuraly being better on the wing, and Noel at center- could we upgrade 4c over Noel? At the start of the year and for the first two thirds of it I would have said yes absolutely, now, not so sure. If there is a spot for Frederic it would the 4th line, Stud can play RW and well by all accounts so he could have an opportunity there. If JFK can't show anymore jam to his game, off he should go- I don't mean grit smashmouth hockey, but just have another gear to him and some urgency and combativeness to win pucks. Cehalrik I always liked, but there isn't room for his style of game if he isn't going be consistently good- he isn't a 4th line type or a checking guy. He is a top 6 or nothing and I don't like him over any of our current top 6.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
2018-2019 Final Grades ,Prospects only
Defense
Connor Clifton Mid Season grade A-,promoted to Boston, will stay in Boston ,the kid is a hockey player.
Cooper Zech - Should I say they struck Gold again in the College FA market? Yes I should... another rock star in the making, the 20 year old is very polished for his age, a Krug/Grzelcyk hybrid whom I'm not sure who he's most like at this point, adjusted well to the speed difference from School to pro's,showed durability,especially those first few games where he got creamed,does all the good things these smaller puck movers do,decent defender which leaves me to speculate he could possibly be better than the 2 I mentioned above,start reading up on him cause I think he's going to be crazy good. Grade Inc. only played 16 games
Jakub Zboril Mid season grade B, missed some time with injuries but was called up to Boston for 2 games, Imo was the best defender during the playoffs,did seem to regress a bit offensively,still prone to poor decision making but overall solid in his own end,still a work in progress though I think he can play in the NHL right now on the right team with the right Coach, at this point being the #1 guy in Providence beats being #7 in Boston,yes there were better players taken after him in 2015 but he doesn't suck,he'll make it.Final Grade B+
Jeremy Lauzon Mid season grade A,injuries again struck him down,only played 29 games in Providence,16 in Boston,was laboring in the playoff's,clearly not 100% but when he's healthy he's a stud,going forward what's best for him and the organization? injuries aside I don't think he needs more AHL time.Ready for prime time or possible trade bait? he'd look good in a Leafs uniform...
Final Grade B+
Emil Johasson Mid season grade B-, he's hard to project, he plays a very simple defense first,safe game but is inconsistent moving the puck, was yanked in and out of the lineup which he always struggled with when put back in,didn't play in the playoffs which I found to be disappointing,he's got a ton of pro experience for being almost 23, He's a second tier prospect whom I can't close the door completely on yet. Final Grade B-
Urho Vaakanainen I can't remember his Mid Season grade but I'm sure it was good
Looked the part early in the season,called up,concussed ,out for Months, had a very strong World Juniors,Wins Gold,starts ramping it up again in Providence,hurt again,comes back, looks terrible ,misses all sorts of time, plays in the playoff's, looks to be at 80%,not even close to the level at the start of the season,really disappointing
When healthy he's one of the best defensive prospect in the 2 divisions we play(Jake Bean is the other one). I'm backing off saying he's in the NHL at the start of the season,Imo he needs another 40+ AHL games and I see scenario where he's called up and never goes back
Final Grade Inc.
Victor Bergund ,played 4 games in Providence,had a goal and an assist in very limited playing time,looked like an 8th grader playing Varsity,can certainly shoot and move the puck,I can see why they took a flier on him in round seven back in 2017, I think staying in Sweden and making a SHL team is best for him,desperately needs weight gain,He's only 19,assuming all goes well I'd sign him and loan him out like they did with Axel Andersson next year,there's no rush.
Wiley Sherman Big Sherms Mid season grade C+, was outclassed in the beginning of the year,poor positioning,bad angles,bad reads,at times timid and soft but as the season wore on he improved,had a few fights,scored a few goals,overall was a decent bottom pairing player that had some ups and downs and no real responsibilities,he's another second tier prospect that didn't play in the playoff's
Final Grade C+

YouTakeTheVan

Feb 6, 2017
Cooper Zech - Should I say they struck Gold again in the College FA market? Yes I should... another rock star in the making, the 20 year old is very polished for his age, a Krug/Grzelcyk hybrid whom I'm not sure who he's most like at this point, adjusted well to the speed difference from School to pro's,showed durability,especially those first few games where he got creamed,does all the good things these smaller puck movers do,decent defender which leaves me to speculate he could possibly be better than the 2 I mentioned above,start reading up on him cause I think he's going to be crazy good. Grade Inc. only played 16 games
Thanks for the write-up! I assume the next step for Zech, ideally, is a full year of AHL, no hurry, ELC in 2020?

Reactions: Blowfish

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
So happy to see Blidh is staying. Coyle give the Bruins time to develop the next wave of centers, which is crucial.

Reactions: Saxon Eric
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->