Providence Bruins General Discussion thread XI - Providence Bruins to play abbreviated season in Massachusetts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
IMG_6985.jpg

continue​

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
My thoughts from tonight:

-- The Gaunce-Woods-Senyshyn line was easily the best line of the night. They could have had 3 or 4 goals (instead of 1).
-- Studnicka was good. I am glad Leach finally put Lantosi with him...hopefully it lasts.
-- I thought Zboril was excellent. He was very active offensively and didn't make any defensive mistakes. The penalty was him trying to make a big hit and catching the guy's legs when he tried to dodge the hit...I won't kill him too much for being physical/aggressive. Tonight may have been one of his best games of the season IMO.
-- Kampfer was really good as well. Saved Carey's bacon after an awful turnover where Kampfer raced back and dove to break up a 2-on-0.
-- You can see Steen's confidence growing...still has a long way to go but at least he is showing progress.
-- Frederic had a number of good instances skating, puckhandling, possessing the puck...but when it came time to make a play with the puck, nothing doing.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

-- The Gaunce-Woods-Senyshyn line was easily the best line of the night. They could have had 3 or 4 goals (instead of 1).
-- Studnicka was good. I am glad Leach finally put Lantosi with him...hopefully it lasts.
-- I thought Zboril was excellent. He was very active offensively and didn't make any defensive mistakes. The penalty was him trying to make a big hit and catching the guy's legs when he tried to dodge the hit...I won't kill him too much for being physical/aggressive. Tonight may have been one of his best games of the season IMO.
-- Kampfer was really good as well. Saved Carey's bacon after an awful turnover where Kampfer raced back and dove to break up a 2-on-0.
-- You can see Steen's confidence growing...still has a long way to go but at least he is showing progress.
-- Frederic had a number of good instances skating, puckhandling, possessing the puck...but when it came time to make a play with the puck, nothing doing.

just wanted to say thanks for all the recaps. you and @Saxon Eric and @BruinsNetwork and the
others who chip in provide incredible insight into these guys.

from watching steen, do you think he'd make an impact at the NHL level? i'm dubious of
him doing that in the middle, and wonder if he's better suited as trade bait to get what
we need now.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

appreciate you and the others who have access to the games giving us recaps, thanks

Reactions: incidental otter

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
So I went back to find when Steen was moved to center to see how his production changed. I'm seeing 1/11 as his first game at center (maybe @Saxon Eric or @BruinsNetwork can confirm).

Wing: 36 GP / 4 G / 7 A / 11 PTs / .31 PT/G
Center: 13 GP / 2 G / 5 A / 7 PTs / .54 PT/G

For those who get to consistently watch him, does his play at center match his improved production? I know there's a concern about a 5'9" center, but does he have a chance to be an NHL center, or do they just need to hope that he can adjust to wing at some point?

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
To review
Steen has a good camp,gets sent down,starts strong, pops in a few goals,gets good chances every game ,everyone happy
Then around game 10 scoring dries up but still getting good chances, somewhere around game 20-25 he disappears and really doesn't reappear till he's moved to center,he isn't noticeable every game but he's showing more at Center, I liked him on the PK last night
No doubt the AHL schedule has effected him as it does most young players,I have a feeling he's going to show more in the playoffs,that said while I like him I don't love him,don't see a future at Center here, nor am I convinced he's NHL material on a Cup contender at Wing but I've been wrong before ,basically don't think he'll help with this core's Cup runs
He's a good prospect ,I could see another team having the hots for him

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
So I went back to find when Steen was moved to center to see how his production changed. I'm seeing 1/11 as his first game at center (maybe @Saxon Eric or @BruinsNetwork can confirm).

Wing: 36 GP / 4 G / 7 A / 11 PTs / .31 PT/G
Center: 13 GP / 2 G / 5 A / 7 PTs / .54 PT/G

For those who get to consistently watch him, does his play at center match his improved production? I know there's a concern about a 5'9" center, but does he have a chance to be an NHL center, or do they just need to hope that he can adjust to wing at some point?
I'm not sure the concern is as big as it use to be. Here is some names that are around 5'9" that play center currently. JG Pageau, Max Domi, Vincent Trocheck, Noel Acciari, and Brayden Point. That is some decent players there with Point being the best. They are all 5'10".

BruinsNetwork

just wanted to say thanks for all the recaps. you and @Saxon Eric and @BruinsNetwork and the
others who chip in provide incredible insight into these guys.

from watching steen, do you think he'd make an impact at the NHL level? i'm dubious of
him doing that in the middle, and wonder if he's better suited as trade bait to get what
we need now.

I thought Steen started hot, like Eric, but tapered off and inevitably went missing for what’s roughly half of the season so far. Since returning to center, he’s just far more noticeable and seems to be more comfortable.

The schedule, also noted by Eric, is definitely something that’s chewing him up and spitting him out, but he’s doing much better recently. I think the size issue is overrated and he’s got the potential to be an awesome third-line center, capable of playing in all scenarios and being relied on whenever and wherever needed.

That said, I don’t think that future is in Boston and I think think he’s good enough on the wing to make it as a top-nine RW in Boston. Steen has value around the league and he’s a solid prospect. Not up to me, but I’d use him to acquire an impact forward at the deadline in some capacity. Not everyone can play and he’s an attractive add for rebuilding/transitioning teams in the NHL.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I thought Steen started hot, like Eric, but tapered off and inevitably went missing for what’s roughly half of the season so far. Since returning to center, he’s just far more noticeable and seems to be more comfortable.

The schedule, also noted by Eric, is definitely something that’s chewing him up and spitting him out, but he’s doing much better recently. I think the size issue is overrated and he’s got the potential to be an awesome third-line center, capable of playing in all scenarios and being relied on whenever and wherever needed.

That said, I don’t think that future is in Boston and I think think he’s good enough on the wing to make it as a top-nine RW in Boston. Steen has value around the league and he’s a solid prospect. Not up to me, but I’d use him to acquire an impact forward at the deadline in some capacity. Not everyone can play and he’s an attractive add for rebuilding/transitioning teams in the NHL.

I really don’t think he has much value at this point. It’s probably better to just keep him for another year and hope he progresses.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I think he(steen) is worth more then any trade will return. Then again. I don’t watch ahl games. I’ll leave the analysis up to you. I’m just saying he isn’t getting the Bruins krieder or anything.

BruinsNetwork

First game I've gone to in seemingly forever that Providence didn't blow a late lead then lose in either OT or a shootout. Very refreshing!

They were on another level yesterday and it was seemingly the first game of the season they were using their speed to really push the pace.

Studnicka, Senyshyn, Zech, Hughes, Gaunce and even Frederic to an extent were outstanding.

First game where Gaunce looked pre-injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad