Providence Bruins General Discussion thread XI - Providence Bruins to play abbreviated season in Massachusetts

Status
Not open for further replies.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

That was a fun run. And what could have been last spring.

This was such a fun season. I had a birthday party in January 99 at a PB game and it was a freakin blast. My father must have taken me to a dozen games that season, most of them in the playoffs. Tickets were so cheap and easy to come by, often for free. We just strolled into the lobby of the Civic Center and looked around, eventually random guys would hold up a fistful of tickets and yell "who needs tickets?"

What would happen is the PB's did a ton of group/corporate sales, and those groups would just hand 1 guy a giant bunch of tickets. The tickets are already paid for so the guy handing them out doesn't care if anyone shows up or not. If 5 people out of the group of 20 don't show...that guy is gonna give em away to the first adult that claims them. I'll say this method of getting tickets worked at least half the time, and if it didn't, the tickets were like $14/$7 for adult/kid

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
This was such a fun season. I had a birthday party in January 99 at a PB game and it was a freakin blast. My father must have taken me to a dozen games that season, most of them in the playoffs. Tickets were so cheap and easy to come by, often for free. We just strolled into the lobby of the Civic Center and looked around, eventually random guys would hold up a fistful of tickets and yell "who needs tickets?"

What would happen is the PB's did a ton of group/corporate sales, and those groups would just hand 1 guy a giant bunch of tickets. The tickets are already paid for so the guy handing them out doesn't care if anyone shows up or not. If 5 people out of the group of 20 doesn't show...that guy is gonna give em away to the first adult that claims them. I'll say this method of getting tickets worked at least half the time, and if it didn't, the tickets were like $14/$7 for adult/kid
it was easier a lot of times to do that, tbth, even if u had to leave a little bit earlier to buy the tickets in advance, which is still true to this day.... now the above might be true for visiting fanbases of the club you're playing who travel well, as Hershey did for years here throughout New England

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
it was easier a lot of times to do that, tbth, even if u had to leave a little bit earlier to buy the tickets in advance, which is still true to this day.... now the above might be true for visiting fanbases of the club you're playing who travel well, as Hershey did for years here throughout New England

Albany, Springfield, Portland, all travelled well. Those crowds and those games got very chippy. Better atmosphere and action than most NHL games I've been to.

Aside from my birthday, I don't remember ever walking into a Providence Bruins game with tickets in hand.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Albany, Springfield, Portland, all travelled well. Those crowds and those games got very chippy. Better atmosphere and action than most NHL games I've been to.

Aside from my birthday, I don't remember ever walking into a Providence Bruins game with tickets in hand.
most of the promotions, tbth, were actually Comcast Spectacor generated, especially when Providence arrived there in 1992, it has also been stated that the Reds were blocked from Portland when CS took the territorial rights in 1977, to Portland... that's why the Reds were sold to a group in Binghamton..... but are now the Hartford Wolf*Pack.

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island

What would happen is the PB's did a ton of group/corporate sales, and those groups would just hand 1 guy a giant bunch of tickets. The tickets are already paid for so the guy handing them out doesn't care if anyone shows up or not. If 5 people out of the group of 20 don't show...that guy is gonna give em away to the first adult that claims them. I'll say this method of getting tickets worked at least half the time, and if it didn't, the tickets were like $14/$7 for adult/kid

Best team I've seen in the AHL in my lifetime. The Bears with A.Giroux and K. Aucoin a close second. The Americans had 110+ points that year and were stacked, had Sarich, Biron etc. and that team absolutely destroyed them.

Always thought it interesting looking back, they actually started .500 for the first 11 games at 5-5-1 and were "only" 17-10 at one point. Then they had a stretch of something like 30-2. ticket were basically free compared to today but the 90s did have some rough crowds Saw a fair share of straight up brawls.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Best team I've seen in the AHL in my lifetime. The Bears with A.Giroux and K. Aucoin a close second. The Americans had 110+ points that year and were stacked, had Sarich, Biron etc. and that team absolutely destroyed them.

Always thought it interesting looking back, they actually started .500 for the first 11 games at 5-5-1 and were "only" 17-10 at one point. Then they had a stretch of something like 30-2. ticket were basically free compared to today but the 90s did have some rough crowds Saw a fair share of straight up brawls.

It would get ugly in a hurry! On AND off the ice. I remember being a few minutes late to a game in Providence with Portland in town, the score was something like 3-2 and both penalty boxes were already overflowing.

There was also a corner section, maybe 301? that they called the 301 club and the college kids over there were just hilariously into the games. I aspired to be them lol. Then just as I finished college I became "them" at the Garden and got my ass thrown out of game 4 with Montreal in '08

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
It would get ugly in a hurry! On AND off the ice. I remember being a few minutes late to a game in Providence with Portland in town, the score was something like 3-2 and both penalty boxes were already overflowing.

There was also a corner section, maybe 301? that they called the 301 club and the college kids over there were just hilariously into the games. I aspired to be them lol. Then just as I finished college I became "them" at the Garden and got my ass thrown out of game 4 with Montreal in '08
Providence/Portland was like that, never mind the venue, because the 2 franchises intertwined history and the legend of the Free Street Bullies, part of where Cross sits on the peninsula.

Boston always had an interest in Portland, but it never ended well, even though the majority of Portland fans were by association Bruin fans....

it's why the "rivalry" between Philadelphia and Boston is referenced at times, but is it really a true rivalry, the way BOS/MTL is.

Reactions: TD Charlie

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Thanks,But 24.95 is that for this season or the archives of past seasons?
That's a good question,Usually the cost includes all regular season games,including past games,I would email them and ask if you can access last season, I know it's still on the site,Bruinsnetwork had re-watched the season recently

Reactions: PepeBostones

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
That's a good question,Usually the cost includes all regular season games,including past games,I would email them and ask if you can access last season, I know it's still on the site,Bruinsnetwork had re-watched the season recently

Good idea , I don't care if I get last seasons games, I just want to be sure I'm getting this season. It says Off Season All-Access Pass , it's the Off Season that scares me I want in season.

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021
Good idea , I don't care if I get last seasons games, I just want to be sure I'm getting this season. It says Off Season All-Access Pass , it's the Off Season that scares me I want in season.

The good (and sad) news is that the camera quality in Marlborough is almost guaranteed to be better than that of The Dunk’s.

You know, where the Providence Bruins play...
In the American Hockey League...
As a professional team...
Affiliate of original six franchise Boston Bruins btw...

*screams*

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
The good (and sad) news is that the camera quality in Marlborough is almost guaranteed to be better than that of The Dunk’s.

You know, where the Providence Bruins play...
In the American Hockey League...
As a professional team...
Affiliate of original six franchise Boston Bruins btw...

*screams*

Yeah there is no excuse for it except pure cheapness. I watched a couple last season and couldn't stand it. I get there is a bit of a financial outlay, but this is high level sport. There were feeds from the old Central Hockey League (a step below the ECHL if you don't remember it) that were better in terms of broadcast quality and camera work.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Same for us with a P Bruins plan. Can't imagine I'll use it all that much, especially with the team's best players on Boston's taxi squad.
That's yet to be decided
On another note the PBriins who do get called up wont have to do that ridiculous state to state quarantine since they'll be in Marlboro

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Yeah there is no excuse for it except pure cheapness. I watched a couple last season and couldn't stand it. I get there is a bit of a financial outlay, but this is high level sport. There were feeds from the old Central Hockey League (a step below the ECHL if you don't remember it) that were better in terms of broadcast quality and camera work.
That’s why I don’t subscribe. Boston should hammer them for this and yet they haven’t done anything for the longest time.

Reactions: Dr Hook
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad