Providence Bruins General Discussion thread X

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
??? Sorry, not close to being remotely the same style of player. Connor has been a fairly consistently strong scorer at every level, has great wheels and is far more imaginative with the puck as much as I like Heinen
I was referring to their looks not there playing styles
Lol
Sorry for the confusion

Reactions: ODAAT

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
You would think a team with all this great talent and is SOOOOO deep would be able to make the playoffs. Sweeney going to regret hanging on to a lot of these guys who everyone is now realizing are JAGs.

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
What are you on about?

I mean, he's not wrong...
This team has 4 first rounders, 2 second rounders, vets who have NHL experience...and yet they are barely hanging onto a playoff spot.

And how many Providence players are you willing to bet $10,000 will be impact players for Boston?
Studnicka? Maybe...but when? Bergeron, Krejci, Coyle, and Kuraly will all be ahead of him until the end of next year when Krejci & Kuraly are UFAs.
Frederic? See above. And he hasn't exactly impressed in his stints in Boston thus far.
Urho? He's looked good in Boston but who does he replace and when? What if Chara wants to play another year (or more) and Krug re-signs? Do you dump Gryz to make room for him? I don't know that I would.
Senyshyn, Zboril, & Lauzon will all be waiver eligible next season. Are you certain that any of them will earn a full-time role before the start of next season? I'm not.
Kuhlman and Lauko have potential for long NHL careers (as does everyone mentioned above) but neither one is a sure thing.

OK, then we'll just trade them for assets...how much value do any of them have on their own?
Studnicka & Urho probably have decent (but not high end) value.
Frederic? Bottom 6 forwards with limited offensive upside generally don't garner large returns.
Senyshyn, Zboril, & Lauzon probably have minimal value due to the aforementioned upcoming waiver eligibility and the fact that they haven't established themselves as NHL regulars by now (though all 3 could probably stick in the NHL starting tomorrow if given the chance).
Kuhlman and Lauko would probably net mid-round picks at this point since they are still somewhat unknown quantities (and thus not worth trading away).
At best, these guys are either add-ins to larger deals or candidates to be swapped for other prospects in similar situations. None of them are going to bring in an impact NHL player on their own.

So while the original poster is mostly just a troll on here trying to get a rise out of people, I think it is entirely fair to say that Sweeney & Co. probably could/should have realized sooner that it was unlikely these players were going to unseat anyone in Boston and should have traded them while their value was higher than it is currently.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
So while the original poster is mostly just a troll on here trying to get a rise out of people, I think it is entirely fair to say that Sweeney & Co. probably could/should have realized sooner that it was unlikely these players were going to unseat anyone in Boston and should have traded them while their value was higher than it is currently.

great post, by the way. looking at this part of it, i'd say sweeney's biggest failure as a GM
is his inability (or is it unwillingness) to move prospects at the right time. cehlarik is a good
example. a lot of teams really liked him last year - supposedly enough to offer up a 3rd round
pick. but sweeney sat on him and sat on him and sat on him, and now he's borderline useless.
way too many prospects in the system, and as you said, a bunch of our better ones are closing
in on waiver eligibility. he needs to learn how to thin the herd.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
This team has 4 first rounders, 2 second rounders, vets who have NHL experience...and yet they are barely hanging onto a playoff spot.

And how many Providence players are you willing to bet $10,000 will be impact players for Boston?
Studnicka? Maybe...but when? Bergeron, Krejci, Coyle, and Kuraly will all be ahead of him until the end of next year when Krejci & Kuraly are UFAs.
Frederic? See above. And he hasn't exactly impressed in his stints in Boston thus far.
Urho? He's looked good in Boston but who does he replace and when? What if Chara wants to play another year (or more) and Krug re-signs? Do you dump Gryz to make room for him? I don't know that I would.
Senyshyn, Zboril, & Lauzon will all be waiver eligible next season. Are you certain that any of them will earn a full-time role before the start of next season? I'm not.
Kuhlman and Lauko have potential for long NHL careers (as does everyone mentioned above) but neither one is a sure thing.

OK, then we'll just trade them for assets...how much value do any of them have on their own?
Frederic? Bottom 6 forwards with limited offensive upside generally don't garner large returns.
Senyshyn, Zboril, & Lauzon probably have minimal value due to the aforementioned upcoming waiver eligibility and the fact that they haven't established themselves as NHL regulars by now (though all 3 could probably stick in the NHL starting tomorrow if given the chance).
Kuhlman and Lauko would probably net mid-round picks at this point since they are still somewhat unknown quantities (and thus not worth trading away).
At best, these guys are either add-ins to larger deals or candidates to be swapped for other prospects in similar situations. None of them are going to bring in an impact NHL player on their own.

What team are you talking about?

BruinsNetwork

I mean, the biggest point you’re missing here is that the AHL is a developmental league and the Bruins have been prioritizing developmental above all else in Providence, including production.

If the Bruins wanted to pump up the points and production, they could easily give PP1 reigns to Zboril or Zech and let Urho take over PP2. They could also run something like Cehlarik-Studnicka-Senyshyn for goals and points, too.

The Providence Bruins aren’t where they are in the standings due to a lack of talent, they’re on that end of the spectrum because the talent they have is being developed and placed in certain roles for the most part.

Obviously there have been some disappointing players this year, and it doesn’t help Frederic started extremely slow, but for the most part? They’re just a team in a developmental league that’s focused on getting their guys ready for the next level.

Reactions: Estlin and Malt

Malt

Jul 6, 2007
Providence, RI
A couple of thoughts after going through this thread:

I wouldn't be concerned at this point about their place in the standings. They are currently in 9th place with 43 points, just one less than 6th place Laval, and 2 less than 5th place Belleville. Providence has 2 games this weekend and 3 in 3 next weekend. A few wins over Springfield and last-place Bridgeport over the next 9 days and their right back in it. And yes, if their losing streak continues, they could drop to 11th or 12th place, but I'm confident they'll get it together soon.

As far as which Providence players will be "impact players" for Boston (or for any team), historically there's only been one or two players each year who "make it." Sometimes you'll have a good year (DeBrusk/Heinen/Gryz 2016-17). As far as this year's crop, it's possible just Studnicka becomes a full-time NHL'er and Frederick/Lauzon/Steen don't. You just have to hope that Boston improves its drafting and Providence reaps the benefits.

Reactions: Chestus and Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
As far as which Providence players will be "impact players" for Boston (or for any team), historically there's only been one or two players each year who "make it." Sometimes you'll have a good year (DeBrusk/Heinen/Gryz 2016-17). As far as this year's crop, it's possible just Studnicka becomes a full-time NHL'er and Frederick/Lauzon/Steen don't. You just have to hope that Boston improves its drafting and Providence reaps the benefits.

This is such a great point. As fans we hope all our prospects hit and we get bummed if they don't. That's being a fan and wanting your team to be the best it can be. But the reality is is that there are only so many NHL jobs to go around and even the most loaded AHL team is probably not going to see more than 3 or 4 guys establish themselves are workaday NHL regulars, let alone All-Stars. Cold reality tells me that most of these young guys in Providence are never going to make it all the way past a cup of coffee in the NHL. That said, I want the Bruins to give opportunities to as many of them as possible, even if it means fielding a slightly weaker lineup from game to game. We'll never know what we truly have till the guys get a chance.

Reactions: Trizz617

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
If the Bruins wanted to pump up the points and production, they could easily give PP1 reigns to Zboril or Zech and let Urho take over PP2. They could also run something like Cehlarik-Studnicka-Senyshyn for goals and points, too.
The most perplexing aspect of the 2020 Providence Bruins is, and will continue to be, running Power Play Petrovic out there on PP1 nearly every game.

All that's developing is resentment.

Reactions: Dr Hook

BruinsNetwork

The most perplexing aspect of the 2020 Providence Bruins is, and will continue to be, running Power Play Petrovic out there on PP1 nearly every game.

I strongly disagree with that plan by Leach and Co. to be honest. Petrovic has the points because he’s a giant defender in the AHL who’s probably capable of playing in the NHL in a depth capacity. He doesn’t make good reads and definitely doesn’t handle the puck well on the PP, if you ask me.

Zboril should be the guy on PP1 and then Zech/Urho should be on PP2. I think PP TOI is important for them. Petrovic is just kind of there. It’s not a huge deal as they’re still playing serious minutes in Providence and that’s the main goal for development, but it’s frustrating.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Bruins had Boychuk, McQuaid, Rask, Marchand, and Sobotka at same time .

They had Hamill as well but only Rask was a first rounder

all have played 500 NHL games which is significant

this group has 7 Boston high draft picks which is unusual

Vaakanainen
Studnicka
Lauzon
Zboril
Lauko
Frederic
Senyshyn

guys on the current team that played in Providence
Bergeron
Krejci
Krug
Pastrnak
Marchand
Kuraly
DeBrusk
Clifton
Grzelcyk
Miller
Kampfer
Heinen
Bjork
Kuhlman

McAvoy & Carlo were there to start

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
great post, by the way. looking at this part of it, i'd say sweeney's biggest failure as a GM is his inability (or is it unwillingness) to move prospects at the right time. cehlarik is a good example. a lot of teams really liked him last year - supposedly enough to offer up a 3rd round pick. but sweeney sat on him and sat on him and sat on him, and now he's borderline useless. way too many prospects in the system, and as you said, a bunch of our better ones are closing in on waiver eligibility. he needs to learn how to thin the herd.

I will give Sweeney credit for trading Donato at the right time (while his value was still decent) for an impact NHLer. He just needed to make more trades like that the past few years if they were going to continue rolling out the Backeses, Nordstroms, Lindholms, Ritchies, Acciaris, Schallers, and McQuaids of the world (i.e. replacement level vets) instead of letting their highly regarded youngsters get a shot.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005

Sweeney doesn't want a repeat of the Ottawa series so he's been stacking depth at every level at every position, unfortunately our best young RD is playing in Quebec, hence triple P getting the big minutes, I hate it,Zech should be the guy but it is what it is.
And btw,this is not aimed at you but what's up with all the defeatist propaganda about our prospects, jeez one bad weekend and this thread falls to shit
By my count the lineup still has over 6 future NHL players on it,I could make the argument there's more

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Remember that i am the guy that always says to not overrate prospects so the fact that I think Studnicka will be a top 6 forward, Frederic and Senyshyn good bottom 6 players. Lauzon will be an NHL player as will Vaak, I do not know what level NHL players but they will play in the NHL regularly. Gaunce, Petrovic, Carey are AHL vets you need to show prospects how to be pros and depth for your NHL team.

If they get that many pros out of this group they are doing well. You get a good two way center, a depth wing/center who will become one of the most hated players in the league in Frederic, Senyshyn isn't going to score but his speed makes him a good 3/4 rw. Not too bad for AHL prospects.

BruinsNetwork

Zboril-Frederic-Senyshyn-Fitzgerald-Cehlarik is the best PP unit I’ve seen this season I think. Cehlarik and Fitzgerald didn’t really look good, Cehlarik specifically, but the other three? Frederic, Senyshyn and Zboril looked excellent there.

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
Zboril-Frederic-Senyshyn-Fitzgerald-Cehlarik is the best PP unit I’ve seen this season I think. Cehlarik and Fitzgerald didn’t really look good, Cehlarik specifically, but the other three? Frederic, Senyshyn and Zboril looked excellent there.
How has the team looked tonight as a whole?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad