General Discussion (Team/Player/Trade Rumors/Speculation/News), Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don't think there's a narrative saying he's a good player because he was claimed. I think the complaint is, looking at this teams defensemen the Devils just let one of THEIR higher rated defensman prospects walk out the door for nothing. Just makes you wonder. I have to laugh, if Urbom getting claimed causes this kind of fury I can't wait to see what happens when reality sets in with this team this year.

HF will shut down when Tedenby goes on waivers.

Just Win

Nov 3, 2008
Stuttgart
I liked Urbom but holy overreaction. The guy will maybe become a solid 3rd pairing dman who is solid all-around but not great at anything. Would have prefered to keep him but he simply was not one of our 7 best dmen.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
We just lost a combination of Bobby Orr, Scott Stevens, and Larry Robinson. We may as well just fold up the franchise and find another team to root for.

We just got nothing, when we should have packaged him with Volchenkov or Fayne and gotten a pick... Would have rather lost Gio or Harrold or Volch or <insert whipping boy here> instead. Maybe we lost a potential 4,5,6 Dman. Ok.

I think that is the universal feeling. That's all. It's over.

We'll live. No worries. LGD, now go beat the Pens.

Schneiderman, schneiderman does whatever a schneider can...

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Urbom has a ceiling of mark fayne, and I'm of the opinion that that kind of player is easily replaceable. I'm sad he's gone, but not too sad

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
The funniest part is that I actually think the overreaction is the other way. Just because we're upset that Urbom is gone for nothing doesn't mean we think he's some sort of HOF D-Man - or that he's even going to be any good ever.

DevilChuk*

We just got nothing, when we should have packaged him with Volchenkov or Fayne and gotten a pick... Would have rather lost Gio or Harrold or Volch or <insert whipping boy here> instead. Maybe we lost a potential 4,5,6 Dman. Ok.

Going to go out on a wing here and say that maybe.. just maybe.. Lou tried to package him with Volchenkov/Fayne for a pick and had no takers?

We kind of don't know what happened so not sure why we're assuming that 1) he didn't try to do such a thing and 2) other teams would have actually accepted such an offer if he did try

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Going to go out on a wing here and say that maybe.. just maybe.. Lou tried to package him with Volchenkov/Fayne for a pick and had no takers?

We kind of don't know what happened so not sure why we're assuming that 1) he didn't try to do such a thing and 2) other teams would have actually accepted such an offer if he did try

I'm guessing it's tough to make a trade coming right out of camp. Not too many deals at this time with folks trying to set their rosters and evaluate the talent they already have on the team, I guess...

I don't know but you're probably right.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Urbom has a ceiling of mark fayne, and I'm of the opinion that that kind of player is easily replaceable. I'm sad he's gone, but not too sad

I think everyone shares the same opinion.

What I don't understand about this move is that I would've waived 2 other blueliners before Urbom. One of them is no other then my all time favorite #28, for obvious reasons I've been spreading around HF for the past several years, and the other would've been Harrold.

Worst case scenario, Harrold get's claimed. We then give Fayne what he deserves and that's a full time spot in our top #6 and we keep Urbom as our #7. If Urbom isn't a solid #7 or someone goes down, we can always call up Gélinas and leave Urbom as a #7.

All in all, I think we should've kept the younger blueliner over a proven #7 where we already know his ceilling and what he can do (or can't do for that matter) at this level.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL

4,5,6, D-Men are incredibly easy to find nowadays whether your drafting, trading, or signing one. That's why the fact that people are spazzing out THIS much over losing someone who can be replaced is ridiculous. Hes the 4th best defensive prospect in a system where the guys in front of him are knocking on the door to play with the big club. Urbom is not near as big as a loss as some are making it out to be. If we do end up needing a player of his skillset, if Fayne walks after this year, then we can very easily sign a stop gap #5,6 guy until a stay at home guy (Helgeson, Santini) is fully ready.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
I see the logic. Obviously we all would have liked to keep Urbom, and the Devils' roster management could have been better. I just can't muster up anything other than "Who cares?" though, especially on opening night.

DevilChuk*

I'm guessing it's tough to make a trade coming right out of camp. Not too many deals at this time with folks trying to set their rosters and evaluate the talent they already have on the team, I guess...

I don't know but you're probably right.

this is the exact same rationale Lou used in trying to sneak Urbom down to the minors..

I'm sure he tried and this is what it came down to. it sucks.. but nothing else really could have been done outside of waiving Harrold/Gionta whom it seems the organization is higher on.

Just Win

Nov 3, 2008
Stuttgart

What I don't understand about this move is that I would've waived 2 other blueliners before Urbom. One of them #28, for obvious reasons I've been spreading around HF for the past several years, and the other would've been Harrold.

Worst case scenario, Harrold get's claimed. We then give Fayne what he deserves and that's a full time spot in our top #6 and we keep Urbom as our #7. If Urbom isn't a solid #7 or someone goes down, we can always call up Gélinas and leave Urbom as a #7.

All in all, I think we should've kept the younger blueliner over a proven #7 where we already know his ceilling and what he can do at this level.

Nobody will take Volchenkov because of his contract and i doubt they want to pay him that money in the AHL. And Harrold is maybe just a solid #7 but he also has some versatility. He is useful on the powerplay and can play forward if needed.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL

What I don't understand about this move is that I would've waived 2 other blueliners before Urbom. One of them is no other then my all time favorite #28, for obvious reasons I've been spreading around HF for the past several years, and the other would've been Harrold.

All in all, I think we should've kept the younger blueliner over a proven #7 where we already know his ceilling and what he can do (or can't do for that matter) at this level.
I agree with you but don't tell that to Pete. Harrold is his pet. Hes the new Mike Matteau. At least Harrold isn't getting top 4 minutes like Matteau did.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I see the logic. Obviously we all would have liked to keep Urbom, and the Devils' roster management could have been better. I just can't muster up anything other than "Who cares?" though, especially on opening night.

Just the fact that I'll have to endure another season watching #28 try to keep up with the pace of the game is enough to make my blood boil.

Even with Urbom over #28, our team would've been much better, so that just goes to show you how valuable he is to our roster.

I dream of the day he'll get amnestied/traded/waived/etc

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Not to interrupt, but this was a really well done interview with Brodeur on his father's passing and sharing the #1 role:

“At the end of the day, I’m not going to play forever,†he said. “For us to bring in a guy so talented and so promising, for the organization is great. I care about myself, but I care a lot about the Devils also. It’s just a great situation for us. With me getting older — I haven’t played many games in the last three years, I’ve been injured — it’s really not that different.â€

But it is. Those who filled in for Brodeur in the past were always just that — fill-ins, substitutes. Schneider is an equal, a player Brodeur described as “in his prime,†an heir apparent to the face of the franchise. But Brodeur vowed Wednesday to have nothing but fun working alongside the talented Schneider, looking forward to the two of them getting to know each other through the grind of a long season. With a league-high 22 sets of back-to-back games on the Devils’ schedule, there will be plenty of opportunity to root each other on from the bench.

- See more at: http://www.northjersey.com/sports/S..._his_dad.html?c=y&page=1#sthash.uOkMdwLi.dpuf

I like the positive attitude that he has and how much he's vested into the team where he's willing to take a backseat. We've been blessed as fans to have a guy like this dedicate his career to our team.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Nobody will take Volchenkov because of his contract and i doubt they want to pay him that money in the AHL. And Harrold is maybe just a solid #7 but he also has some versatility. He is useful on the powerplay and can play forward if needed.

Sending Volchenkov to Albany while calling up Gélinas would've made our team 10x stronger and for what, a additionnal 900K?

Harrold is "ok" on the PP but he isn't any good at even strenght or the PK, so yeah, like I said earlier... we have a weaker version of M-A Bergeron and that's about it. Regarding the fact that he can play forward shouldn't mean a thing since we have depth coming out of left field ATM when talking about our forwards.

I agree with you but don't tell that to Pete. Harrold is his pet. Hes the new Mike Matteau. At least Harrold isn't getting top 4 minutes like Matteau did.

A Volchenkov/Harrold pairing will make my eyes bleed. I'm just praying that Bilsma won't come to his senses and send Kunitz/Crosby/Malkin against that pairing tonight.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The Volchenkov/Harrold pairing scared my girlfriend away from wanting to go to a hockey game again.

It also got me in trouble with her for a while.:laugh:

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
More accurately, Lou threw a powerball ticket into the fire without scratching it off first...which means odds are it's worthless anyway, but you never know :laugh:

filepicker%2Fq2oZUXcT82JjciJCvxii_charlie_bucket_willy_wonka_golden_ticket.jpg

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

The Volchenkov/Harrold pairing scared my girlfriend away from wanting to go to a hockey game again.

It also got me in trouble with her for a while.:laugh:

****ing #28, he's so versatile... he blows at hockey and he's even wrecking relationships while blowing chunks on the ice.

Gotta love that big russian bear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->