Prospect Info: General Discussion of Prospects

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
My understanding from what I remember was foot speed. He could not keep up with top 6 forwards and lacked the defensive awareness to play a checking role. Ten years earlier he probably would have been fine.
He was fast enough but it was only in one direction.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

He lays out a well reasoned argument for why he wasn't as high on Samuelsson as others and views him topping out as a bottom pairing dman. But there is little point to that quote other than to troll and get people to listen. Mission accomplished since I did. :laugh:

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
IF Gretzky didn’t have skill and brains he wouldn’t have played in the NHL. IF Ovi didn’t have a great shot, he wouldn’t score goals.

IF arguments are useless.
You're missing the underlying point. It isn't that Samuelsson has just one deficiency like heavy feet or a poor shot. He doesn't excel at the skills that are the most coveted in modern day defenseman. He isn't good in transition, his game in the offensive zone is sub-par, he isn't a great skater. If you want to be hung up on that specific quote feel free, or you could listen to his take on Samuelsson and point out what you feel he's incorrect about.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Yeah, the "what if" argument can always be made, but there's a big difference between Gretzky's skills/brain, Ovi's shot, and Samuelsson's size.

Two of those things influence the game way more than the others. There are a lot of guys that are 6'4, there are not a lot of guys with the other skills listed.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
You're missing the underlying point. It isn't that Samuelsson has just one deficiency like heavy feet or a poor shot. He doesn't excel at the skills that are the most coveted in modern day defenseman. He isn't good in transition, his game in the offensive zone is sub-par, he isn't a great skater. If you want to be hung up on that specific quote feel free, or you could listen to his take on Samuelsson and point out what you feel he's incorrect about.

It’s his opinion. Which is fine but the problem is every dman coming out of the draft is labelled a puck moving dman. Then every team needs one because all these dmen they have drafted are not pmd. Being a defensive defencemen is like being a 6’1 goalie these days, no one even wants to look at you. We don’t know how Samuelsson will develop, he hasn’t even turned pro. If he turns into a physical, shutdown pairing dman with leadership qualities then that is a good get for the organization. He will never be Coffey but Coffey was never able to be trusted with strong defensive minutes in tight games.

I have a feeling some people have motive here (not saying you Jesus). They didn’t like the pick at the time because they wanted a forward and think posting any ham and eggers opinion on him that indicates he wasn’t a good pick before he even turns pro is somehow proving them right. Same with Johnson last year. They will never get a positive word because people are pissed at Botts for not taking a scoring forward. Not these kid’s fault. Don’t crap on them because the organization is making calls you don’t agree with. Do I feel there were better options on the board for the Sabres, Yes. Will I crap on Samuelsson and Johnson because of that, No. Hopefully they both turn out and hopefully another GM is here when it happens.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Prospect Mattias Samuelsson looks to bring physicality and...

I am expecting that Samuelsson will surprise a lot of the skeptics as a pro. But, only time will tell.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
It’s his opinion. Which is fine but the problem is every dman coming out of the draft is labelled a puck moving dman. Then every team needs one because all these dmen they have drafted are not pmd. Being a defensive defencemen is like being a 6’1 goalie these days, no one even wants to look at you. We don’t know how Samuelsson will develop, he hasn’t even turned pro. If he turns into a physical, shutdown pairing dman with leadership qualities then that is a good get for the organization. He will never be Coffey but Coffey was never able to be trusted with strong defensive minutes in tight games.

I have a feeling some people have motive here (not saying you Jesus). They didn’t like the pick at the time because they wanted a forward and think posting any ham and eggers opinion on him that indicates he wasn’t a good pick before he even turns pro is somehow proving them right. Same with Johnson last year. They will never get a positive word because people are pissed at Botts for not taking a scoring forward. Not these kid’s fault. Don’t crap on them because the organization is making calls you don’t agree with. Do I feel there were better options on the board for the Sabres, Yes. Will I crap on Samuelsson and Johnson because of that, No. Hopefully they both turn out and hopefully another GM is here when it happens.
I think it was a bit over the top "that he wouldn't even be drafted if he were 4 inches shorter" and that certainly falls in the category of dumping on him, but everything he said in that interview aside from that is accurate. He was drafted too high, he has limitations. As you said, that's not his fault and I too hope he pans out. Botterill must go, most reasonable Sabres fans realize that. On top of that I want this scouting staff purged. In a very average prospect pool we shouldn't have players we drafted with late 1sts and early 2nd's coming in as the 7th, 9th and 14th ranked guys in our pool.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
I think it was a bit over the top "that he wouldn't even be drafted if he were 4 inches shorter" and that certainly falls in the category of dumping on him, but everything he said in that interview aside from that is accurate. He was drafted too high, he has limitations. As you said, that's not his fault and I too hope he pans out. Botterill must go, most reasonable Sabres fans realize that. On top of that I want this scouting staff purged. In a very average prospect pool we shouldn't have players we drafted with late 1sts and early 2nd's coming in as the 7th, 9th and 14th ranked guys in our pool.

oh I agree with you 100%. I’ve mentioned here numerous times the pro and amateur scouting has let this team down and are the main reason they are in the funk they are in for the past decade. They need to to cleanse the entire front office. Get some smart, veteran hockey men in the FO, mix in some young progressive minds, get serious about analytics and have a clear vision of what they want to be and who they want to bring in to fit that.

Reactions: is the answer jesus

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Turcotte was well liked here at the time of the draft (including by myself). Cozens not so much.

At this point would you take Turcotte over Cozens if you had the opportunity? Cozens had a great D+1, Turcotte struggled (at least on the stat sheet).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad