Providence Bruins General Discussion IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Why is Senyshyn “maybe” a third-line player and not anything more?

Because so far he has been a bust that is hopefully starting to turn it around. A lot of it isn't his fault, being picked where he shouldn't have been, Barzal becoming a top line player, that is all on Sweeney but Seneyshyn was taken where he was and he will always have to deal with that.

I'm not one of the true believers in Sweeney and his drafting or prospects, Heinen, Bjork and Donato aren't showing much, we will see about the rest. If Senyshyn at this point become a 20 goal 3RW with some grit I count the Bruins as lucky considering how badly Sweeney screwed up the first round of the 2015 draft.

Reactions: Wooren

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
Because so far he has been a bust that is hopefully starting to turn it around. A lot of it isn't his fault, being picked where he shouldn't have been, Barzal becoming a top line player, that is all on Sweeney but Seneyshyn was taken where he was and he will always have to deal with that.

I'm not one of the true believers in Sweeney and his drafting or prospects, Heinen, Bjork and Donato aren't showing much, we will see about the rest. If Senyshyn at this point become a 20 goal 3RW with some grit I count the Bruins as lucky considering how badly Sweeney screwed up the first round of the 2015 draft.

Sweeney didn’t draft Heinen, Bjork and Donato. If Senyshyn becomes what the Bruins expect then it is far from luck. The scouting staff wanted Senyshyn.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Sweeney didn’t draft Heinen, Bjork and Donato. If Senyshyn becomes what the Bruins expect then it is far from luck. The scouting staff wanted Senyshyn.
No but they are his prospects that he has staked this season on and so far that isn't turning out so great

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
And that's what scares me. There were far better prospects available, guys who are good nhlers now. It is nice to see him scoring tho

Playing devil's advocate do any of them offer the combination of size speed and hands that Senyshyn does?

I'm ok with waiting on his development. It looks to me the Bruins knew this would be his trajectory and are developing him accordingly.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Playing devil's advocate do any of them offer the combination of size speed and hands that Senyshyn does?

I'm ok with waiting on his development. It looks to me the Bruins knew this would be his trajectory and are developing him accordingly.
That,is a great point

Reactions: BruinsNetwork

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

good post, if I recall correctly many here thought this pick was a "reach" and still do and maybe it was/is so the question begs, with this "reach" why are so many surprised the kid is taking time to develop?

I try not to be one of those fans who focuses then near obsesses on who the B`s passed over if that player goes onto being a productive NHL player while the B`s choice hasn`t, just never saw the point in wasting my time worrying about that stuff. The draft will always involve hits and misses and I`m sure if I wanted to take the time, I could do deep research on current Bruin picks which have been successes and look at other teams who could have had em` but chose to go a different route with the same thing happening that is occurring with ZS right now.

I don`t know, I have been enjoying reading about ZS and his play from those here who have seen him play, also think too many commenting haven`t actually seen him play but that`s another story. Sounds like he and Hughes have developed some nice chemistry and the kid is developing reasonably well? As fans sit on their couch and watch Barzal score at the NHL level they get deeper into their frustration but I`d drive myself nutso (even more than I already do) if I did that. Just feeling optimistic that the kid is developing nicely and maybe we`ll see him soon in the big boy jersey

BruinsNetwork

Really like the line of Cehlarik-Hughes-Senyshyn. I think each of them bring something different to the table. Cehlarik has looked like himself again since uniting witha sniper like Senyshyn. Although, I must say, I feel like Cehlarik has been a bit stagnant this year. Maybe @Saxon Eric has some thoughts on him too.

Reactions: TCB

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
No but they are his prospects that he has staked this season on and so far that isn't turning out so great

Sweeney is evaluating his prospects and giving them a chance to develop. So far the Bruins prospects are helping the Bruins into a playoff spot. There is no reason for Sweeney to turn his back quickly on prospects as they hit some speed bumps.

The Bruins have been criticized for giving up on prospects too quickly over the past few years. Also Sweeney isn’t staking his whole season on prospects, there happens to be a ton of injuries to Bruin veterans right now.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004

Connor and Boeser aren't that much smaller than him and have a lot more talent. Waiting on his development is fine but I'm not expecting him to turn into a 30 goal scorer like those guys. I'd be willing to bet theres never been a player who scored only 12 goals as a first year pro and went on to be a 30 or even 25 goal scorer in the nhl.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Sweeney is evaluating his prospects and giving them a chance to develop. So far the Bruins prospects are helping the Bruins into a playoff spot. There is no reason for Sweeney to turn his back quickly on prospects as they hit some speed bumps.

The Bruins have been criticized for giving up on prospects too quickly over the past few years. Also Sweeney isn’t staking his whole season on prospects, there happens to be a ton of injuries to Bruin veterans right now.
Good post. They're doing fine with handling the development of those three guys and it would be absurd to give up on them. Donato and Heinen both looked pretty good against the leafs to me.

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Really like the line of Cehlarik-Hughes-Senyshyn. I think each of them bring something different to the table. Cehlarik has looked like himself again since uniting witha sniper like Senyshyn. Although, I must say, I feel like Cehlarik has been a bit stagnant this year. Maybe @Saxon Eric has some thoughts on him too.
I'd go with disappointing considering where he was when camp ended ,I've been hoping for more up to this point

Reactions: BruinsNetwork

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Connor and Boeser aren't that much smaller than him and have a lot more talent. Waiting on his development is fine but I'm not expecting him to turn into a 30 goal scorer like those guys. I'd be willing to bet theres never been a player who scored only 12 goals as a first year pro and went on to be a 30 or even 25 goal scorer in the nhl.
Mike Hoffman, 7 goals in 74 AHL games. Full NHL seasons goal scoring at 27, 29, 26, and 22. 14 in just 28 games this year.

Yanni Gourde had 8 in 54 AHL games, 25 last year in the NHL.

Marchand had 18 goals in 79 AHL games his first pro season.

Hell, Bergeron only had 21 in the AHL in his 2nd pro season and never scored 30 at any level before the NHL yet has managed 4, 30 goal season in the NHL to date. 21 as a 2nd year pro in the AHL is a bar I'd feel confident Senyshyn will jump over this year assuming he stays healthy.

Personally, I think Mantha is a good comparison of a mid-first round, slow developing prospect with high end potential. He had 15 goals in 62 AHL games his 1st season. His 2nd season, he had 21 goals in 60 AHL games. As a 3rd year pro he had 17 goals in 60 NHL games while last year, his 4th, he had 24 and 24 in 80 NHL games.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Mike Hoffman, 7 goals in 74 AHL games. Full NHL seasons goal scoring at 27, 29, 26, and 22. 14 in just 28 games this year.

Hell, Bergeron only had 21 in the AHL in his 2nd pro season and never scored 30 at any level before the NHL yet has managed 4, 30 goal season in the NHL to date. 21 as a 2nd year pro in the AHL is a bar I'd feel confident Senyshyn will jump over this year assuming he stays healthy.

Personally, I think Mantha is a good comparison of a mid-first round, slow developing prospect with high end potential. He had 15 goals in 62 AHL games his 1st season. His 2nd season, he had 21 goals in 60 AHL games. As a 3rd year pro he had 17 goals in 60 NHL games while last year, his 4th, he had 24 and 24 in 80 NHL games.

And for better or worse the Bruins have chosen to develop the player the way they want to. Without regard to timeline, or to trying to maximize his value, bump his stats.

The Bruins could have just let him play 2nd line last year. I suspect it would have made the team worse, but I have no doubt he would have scored probably twice as many points as he did working down on the 4th line.

Honestly in some ways I don't even know what it means. Does it mean they have been disappointed in him, his compete, or whatever? Or does it mean something like they developed a plan for him, and were going to follow that plan regardless of what the critics said, because they believe this is the best way to develop him into the player they want him to be.

What I will say, is I am not going to get caught up on the timeline, and trying to compare him to players who were put in completely different situations when the reach the AHL,

Friar85

Dec 16, 2013

This is an excellent post.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

Max Pacioretty: 6 goals/37 games

Mike Hoffman: 7 goals/74 games

Mark Stone: 15 goals/54 games

Kyle Okposo: 9 goals/35 games

Sean Coutier: 10 goals/31 games

Yanni Gourde: 8 goals/54 games

Brandon Saad: 8 goals/31 games

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
And for better or worse the Bruins have chosen to develop the player the way they want to. Without regard to timeline, or to trying to maximize his value, bump his stats.

The Bruins could have just let him play 2nd line last year. I suspect it would have made the team worse, but I have no doubt he would have scored probably twice as many points as he did working down on the 4th line.

Honestly in some ways I don't even know what it means. Does it mean they have been disappointed in him, his compete, or whatever? Or does it mean something like they developed a plan for him, and were going to follow that plan regardless of what the critics said, because they believe this is the best way to develop him into the player they want him to be.

What I will say, is I am not going to get caught up on the timeline, and trying to compare him to players who were put in completely different situations when the reach the AHL,
I'll add to that, that many of his draft mates were were drafted to teams that had no choice but to put the youngens on their NHL roster! The Islanders were so bad I could probably have made their roster at 59 years old! Vancouver were not busting at the seams with talent either with the Sedins retiring. Comparing players time line to the Show is useless when team needs are considered.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Finally catching up with the 3 missed games from last week,Toronto was woeful...
And for a brief second thought I saw Blowfish holding a "Cassidy fears Cehlarik" sign

Reactions: Blowfish

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
I'm watching warmups and I see Utica is Vancouver's AHL team? Must be a lovely flight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->