Providence Bruins General Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Meanwhile the Gwinnett Gladiators are on freaking TV and the Providence Bruins can't even bother to open a window to let someone shout the play by play from!

The Bruins are not thrilled with the way H. Larue Renfroe operates that franchise and they are mulling options. The Bruins again this preseason have elected to use one of their home pre-season slots in Quebec City instead of Providence. Renfroe feels he can make more money rebranding the team as the Providence Reds but the affiliation agreement doesn't allow that. Jacobs primary concern is that he continues to have the concession rights at 'The Dunk' but team concerns in Providence are the quality of the ice and training facilities for the players. The arena is now owned by the state and they consider Providence College basketball the primary tenant.

There is no love between the Bruins and Renfroe and that dates back to 1996 when he was the promoter of the World Juniors in Boston and he said didn't need the Bruins help. :help:

That WJC was an attendance nightmare and made Boston a laughingstock in Canada.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_World_Junior_Ice_Hockey_Championships

My media friends in Providence say the Baby B's could easily put the games on radio and work out a TV deal with Cox cable but Renfroe will not do it. By comparison the baseball Pawsox have built up a nice radio network and many MLB announcers today worked in Pawtucket. Providence is a unique market where you see WVEI-FM 103.7 picking up Bruins games from 98.5.

Last edited:

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Yeah, if any other team took over the affiliation, the team should be called the Reds. With the Bruins, it's stupid. Apparently that dope didn't pay attention to the Connecticut Whale fiasco.

And since when has H Buffoon Noshow ever given a **** about the Providence Reds anyway? This must be news to the Reds Heritage Society. I know of no contribution the PBruins have made to their annual get together in the summer.

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
Zach Leach covers Providence signing of former Quinnipiac NCAA player Connor Clifton and former Bruin Josh Hennessy on a PTO in his Minor Transactions segment.

"The AHL’s Providence Bruins already made a splash today, signing the aforementioned Clifton, a standout right-handed defenseman from nearby Quinnipiac University, but another notable name has also joined the fold in Providence. The Providence Journal’s Mark Divver, who also broke the Clifton news, revealed that NHL veteran Josh Hennessy has agreed to return to Providence on a PTO to begin the season. Hennessy has been playing for the Vaxjo Lakers in Sweden for much of the past three years and bounced around the KHL prior to that, but the 32-year-old was last in North America with the Boston Bruins and their affiliate in 2011-12."

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2017/08/minor-transactions-81617.html

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Zach Leach covers Providence signing of former Quinnipiac NCAA player Connor Clifton and former Bruin Josh Hennessy on a PTO in his Minor Transactions segment.

"The AHLÂ’s Providence Bruins already made a splash today, signing the aforementioned Clifton, a standout right-handed defenseman from nearby Quinnipiac University, but another notable name has also joined the fold in Providence. The Providence JournalÂ’s Mark Divver, who also broke the Clifton news, revealed that NHL veteran Josh Hennessy has agreed to return to Providence on a PTO to begin the season. Hennessy has been playing for the Vaxjo Lakers in Sweden for much of the past three years and bounced around the KHL prior to that, but the 32-year-old was last in North America with the Boston Bruins and their affiliate in 2011-12."

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2017/08/minor-transactions-81617.html

B`s staff staying busy, never heard of Clifton but shall keep an eye on the feedback fans are providing here with their thoughts on the kids in Providence. Hennessy might be interesting, man that Providence team is likely to be truly fun to watch

I`m off to Cole Harbour place, gonna catch an hour or so of the rookies first day on the ice for the Mooseheads then hitting the links later on today, beauty day, hockey then golf:yo:

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
B`s staff staying busy, never heard of Clifton but shall keep an eye on the feedback fans are providing here with their thoughts on the kids in Providence. Hennessy might be interesting, man that Providence team is likely to be truly fun to watch

I`m off to Cole Harbour place, gonna catch an hour or so of the rookies first day on the ice for the Mooseheads then hitting the links later on today, beauty day, hockey then golf:yo:

That's a perfect August summer day if ever there was one! Look forward to some feedback on your camp impressions. Avoid those three puts and go low.:handclap:

The PB's look to be positioned to build on lasts years very succesful season. Winning at the AHL level bodes well for a transfer of the players who have contributed greatly to and will benefit from that positive experience.

Unfortunate to hear of Moore's decision to vacate the booth after 20 terrific years covering the Moose. How's your radio voice? :sarcasm:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
That's a perfect August summer day if ever there was one! Look forward to some feedback on your camp impressions. Avoid those three puts and go low.:handclap:

The PB's look to be positioned to build on lasts years very succesful season. Winning at the AHL level bodes well for a transfer of the players who have contributed greatly to and will benefit from that positive experience.

Unfortunate to hear of Moore's decision to vacate the booth after 20 terrific years covering the Moose. How's your radio voice? :sarcasm:

haha, well, my face is made for Radio, my voice??? Hmm, I just arrived to CHP, reasonably good crowd of folks (mostly kids), I`ll report back to ya

So much depends on the Hischier/Devils decision, I`m fearing he`ll be retained up there but we shall see. Really looking forward to seeing this maturing group this year

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Yeah, if any other team took over the affiliation, the team should be called the Reds. With the Bruins, it's stupid. Apparently that dope didn't pay attention to the Connecticut Whale fiasco.

And since when has H Buffoon Noshow ever given a **** about the Providence Reds anyway? This must be news to the Reds Heritage Society. I know of no contribution the PBruins have made to their annual get together in the summer.

GG - I treasure the conversations I had with George Patrick Duffy.

I played high school hockey at the old RI Auditorium and still carry a scar when face met chicken wire :cry: I was a boarding student at Mt St Charles and our coach went on to briefly coach the Whalers.

I was at the last ever Reds game at RI Auditorium in 1972 though nobody knew it at the time. I can say without a doubt it was the most toxic crowd experience I have ever been in. The Reds were playing the Boston Braves and a few thousand Braves fans made the 50 mile trek to Providence. The Reds sold standing room to anybody who showed up and Duffy told me years later the Reds sold 10,000 tickets for the game in an arena that only had 5,500 seats. The Rhode Island fans did not appreciate the visitors from Boston and the game ended on a phantom goal that only the NHL referee saw. The fighting between fans continued for 2 hours on North Main Street while the Providence and Pawtucket Police just watched :laugh:

WEYeeGf.png

The Reds lost their identity when they moved to the brand new Civic Center the following season and the Braves were hurt by the new WHA Whalers.

Where RI Auditorium was located became a parking lot for a hospital but I think the Penalty Box bar next door still exists.

What a hockey atmosphere it had.

yPk1jlK.png

Friar85

Dec 16, 2013
According to Divver, PBs have invited Zach Malatesta to training camp. He was a little water bug defenseman a few years back for the Junior Bruins and the went to the Q. Not sure if he ever grew any, but he could skate. I don't see any spots in Providence, wonder if he ends up in the ECHL.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
The Bruins are not thrilled with the way H. Larue Renfroe operates that franchise and they are mulling options. The Bruins again this preseason have elected to use one of their home pre-season slots in Quebec City instead of Providence. Renfroe feels he can make more money rebranding the team as the Providence Reds but the affiliation agreement doesn't allow that. Jacobs primary concern is that he continues to have the concession rights at 'The Dunk' but team concerns in Providence are the quality of the ice and training facilities for the players. The arena is now owned by the state and they consider Providence College basketball the primary tenant.

There is no love between the Bruins and Renfroe and that dates back to 1996 when he was the promoter of the World Juniors in Boston and he said didn't need the Bruins help. :help:

That WJC was an attendance nightmare and made Boston a laughingstock in Canada.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_World_Junior_Ice_Hockey_Championships

My media friends in Providence say the Baby B's could easily put the games on radio and work out a TV deal with Cox cable but Renfroe will not do it. By comparison the baseball Pawsox have built up a nice radio network and many MLB announcers today worked in Pawtucket. Providence is a unique market where you see WVEI-FM 103.7 picking up Bruins games from 98.5.

I remember going to the USA-Canada game in Worcester and I remember it being very poorly attended, to be kind.

Renfroe sounds like a minor league Bill Wirtz, I used to live on federal hill and had season tickets for a few years and always thought it was a poorly run organization, I placed a lot of the blame on JJ and the way the Bruins have treated prospects/minor league teams up until the last few season (as an after thought) but it sounds like Renfroe is the main culprit. Unless they have changed practice facilities or the rink on 146 has improved greatly from when I played there as a kid I can't see players being one step from the NHL thrilled playing in a rink with no heat and often no hot water, much less a drive way that was hellish to get down in the winter.

It's too bad RI has a small but loyal hockey base and they deserve better.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I remember going to the USA-Canada game in Worcester and I remember it being very poorly attended, to be kind.

Renfroe sounds like a minor league Bill Wirtz, I used to live on federal hill and had season tickets for a few years and always thought it was a poorly run organization, I placed a lot of the blame on JJ and the way the Bruins have treated prospects/minor league teams up until the last few season (as an after thought) but it sounds like Renfroe is the main culprit. Unless they have changed practice facilities or the rink on 146 has improved greatly from when I played there as a kid I can't see players being one step from the NHL thrilled playing in a rink with no heat and often no hot water, much less a drive way that was hellish to get down in the winter.

It's too bad RI has a small but loyal hockey base and they deserve better.

I was at every TC game that tourney with a bunch of friends, while we were more than a bit disappointed at the amount of empty seats at every game and every venue we watched at, the booze and TC winning assisted us in quickly putting that aside but in retrospect, what was once a tournament that appeared to mean little to the USA, much has changed which is fantastic.

Went to North Dakota/Minnesota in 2005 which was completely different, incredible vibe the whole time

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
It's shaping up to be quite a exciting roster for P-Bruins fans this year. I'd be very afraid if I was the rest of the AHL.

Heinen - JFK - Senyshyn
Cehlarik - Czarnik - Szwarz
Gabrielle - Kuraly - Fitzgerald
Blidh - Cave - Hickman

Zboril - O'Gara
Gryz - Lauzon
Cross - Johansson

McIntyre
Subban/Vlader

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
It's shaping up to be quite a exciting roster for P-Bruins fans this year. I'd be very afraid if I was the rest of the AHL.

Heinen - JFK - Senyshyn
Blidh - Cave - Hickman

Zboril - O'Gara
Gryz - Lauzon
Cross - Johansson

McIntyre
Subban/Vlader

Might need some AHL muscle sprinkled in. But that lineup will be quick.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Might need some AHL muscle sprinkled in. But that lineup will be quick.

I agree with Nugs that Hickman isn't that guy and it would be nice if they had a policeman to help protect all that young talent who they could dress over Hickman.

BruinsHockey

Jun 9, 2008
Rhode Island

That sounds like what happened with the Blackhawks years ago.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

Heinen - JFK - Senyshyn
Blidh - Cave - Hickman

Zboril - O'Gara
Gryz - Lauzon
Cross - Johansson

McIntyre
Subban/Vlader

imagine if agostino clears waivers and joins that group? i think kuraly will be in boston, but could move fitzy to the middle.
holy.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Heinen - JFK - Senyshyn
Blidh - Cave - Hickman

Zboril - O'Gara
Gryz - Lauzon
Cross - Johansson

McIntyre
Subban/Vlader

It looks good, but at the same time you top 6 there are all LHD. Well I guess we can develop them all to play on both sides of the ice

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal

Heinen - JFK - Senyshyn
Blidh - Cave - Hickman

Zboril - O'Gara
Gryz - Lauzon
Cross - Johansson

McIntyre
Subban/Vlader

That, to me, looks like a fun exciting roster for Providence

Status
Not open for further replies.