General COVID-19 Talk #4 MOD Warning

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Yeah I gave you a lay up and I'm not being condescending as that comment was somewhat rhetorical. I guess what I was saying is how can people become so tribal over a bunch of bullshit that's mixed in with a few scraps of reason.

The two party system WAS good for political transactions that were a compromise but it's not anymore. We're never going to get the will of the people until people truly care and educate themselves. The only thing the two major parties do effectively is pit the American people against each other. Their common denominator is the almighty dollar.

All the anger with the media and political parties is an admission that most people truly don't give a shit.

Thanks for allowing me to vent and I should really stop but it does feel good to rant. I'd go to a shrink but I don't have an N95 mask and they don't allow outdoor whining. Buh dump chhhh!

On a side note, watch Mark Normand's "out to lunch" Stand up on YouTube if you haven't seen it. It's f'n hilarious! Never heard of him until I went down a quarantine rabbit hole a few months back. He's my Person of the Year in 2020.
I think to a large extent we get the government we deserve.

If people don't like the extremism they see from both political parties the best way to end it is to vote in the primary elections. Primary elections have the greatest effect on the make up of the candidates put forward by each party in any election.

DrHansReinhardt

Nov 12, 2019
Drafting 14th
How have we become so tribal when we really do have so much in common?

Propaganda is the answer you are looking for. Right wing hate radio has driven a wedge between US. Right wing radio has convinced its followers that no compromise is the way forward. Without compromise our 2 party system cannot succeed. There is no left wing equivalent either. If you think the MSM is 'liberal' you've been propagandized.

Reactions: Bandit

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Propaganda is the answer you are looking for. Right wing hate radio has driven a wedge between US. Right wing radio has convinced its followers that no compromise is the way forward. Without compromise our 2 party system cannot succeed. There is no left wing equivalent either. If you think the MSM is 'liberal' you've been propagandized.

Check out tha new style that Ollie found...

Tha sheep tremble an here come tha votes. 24 years later, same shit.

Reactions: DrHansReinhardt

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
this is such an utterly ridiculous comment i don't even know where to start

Reactions: KINGS17 and kenito7

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Behind you
youtu.be
lol you may have been propagandized.

I also, challenge you to refute my claims aside from your hyperbole.
This is an impossible challenge because the any answer is opinion based.

The problem is that any answer to this question is subjective based upon one's views. Anything that doesn't agree with one's personal views these days is "slanted or biased" to the left or right

It's is the same thing as driving. Anyone that drives faster than me is a psycho. Anyone who drives slower than me is overly cautious and/or dangerous. But to those driving faster, I am overly cautious/dangerous and to those slower drivers, I am a psycho.

anyone can just as easily say that this statement from you is propaganda as well

Reactions: KINGS17

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
lol you may have been propagandized.

I also, challenge you to refute my claims aside from your hyperbole.
we've brought this up before

Interactive Media Bias Chart - 2 - Ad Fontes Media

personally i think it has much to do with the MSMs willingness to include so much opinion-based content on their platforms as once again, $$$ is the driving force rather than reporting

if i'm being propagandized to parrot liberal media bias by a media group that's like 80% liberals on the board, so be it

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Behind you
youtu.be
personally i think it has much to do with the MSMs willingness to include so much opinion-based content on their platforms as once again, $$$ is the driving force rather than reporting
My two factors are
1) Consolidation of media in to a handful of companies owning it
2) 24 hour news networks. This is the bigger one IMO and there is only so much news in the day. So their strategy becomes to bend the truth in either direction to shock, enrage, madden viewers in to wanting and needing more rather than good old simple objective reporting

Token

May 15, 2019
My two factors are
1) Consolidation of media in to a handful of companies owning it
2) 24 hour news networks. This is the bigger one IMO and there is only so much news in the day. So their strategy becomes to bend the truth in either direction to shock, enrage, madden viewers in to wanting and needing more rather than good old simple objective reporting
So you saying NPR ... ;)

I’ll let myself out ...

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Behind you
youtu.be
So you saying NPR ... ;)

I’ll let myself out ...
NPR depends on donations, on a small fraction of their "revenue" is from the government

Typically, NPR member stations receive funds through on-air pledge drives, corporate underwriting, state and local governments, educational institutions, and the federally funded Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB). In 2009, member stations derived 6% of their revenue from federal, state and local government funding, 10% of their revenue from CPB grants, and 14% of their revenue from universities.[24][41] While NPR does not receive any direct federal funding, it does receive a small number of competitive grants from CPB and federal agencies like the Department of Education and the Department of Commerce. This funding amounts to approximately 2% of NPR's overall revenues.

I watch a lot of PBS and note that they recognize their sponsors at the beginning of the program. They jsut word it different and use verbiage like "contributors"

DrHansReinhardt

Nov 12, 2019
Drafting 14th
This is an impossible challenge because the any answer is opinion based.

The problem is that any answer to this question is subjective based upon one's views. Anything that doesn't agree with one's personal views these days is "slanted or biased" to the left or right

It's is the same thing as driving. Anyone that drives faster than me is a psycho. Anyone who drives slower than me is overly cautious and/or dangerous. But to those driving faster, I am overly cautious/dangerous and to those slower drivers, I am a psycho.

anyone can just as easily say that this statement from you is propaganda as well

I appreciate your analogy. I base my opinion on years of data and living through it. Right wing hate radio is a reality. There is no liberal equivalent in scope. I'm an independent. I have plenty of disdain for the dems too.

My statement is not propaganda because I do not routinely reach millions of listeners over the last 30 years.

we've brought this up before

Interactive Media Bias Chart - 2 - Ad Fontes Media

if i'm being propagandized to parrot liberal media bias by a media group that's like 80% liberals on the board, so be it

I agree that money is the bottom line for the corporate media. Opinions are not 'news'. Kindly point out the liberal board that is influencing the media and stopping compromise in congress like right wing media overtly does.

The guy I linked to below does good work documenting the corporate bias in media, if you are interested. The corporate media is constantly making the 'both sides' bullshit argument to the determent of US.
The media's defining failure of 2020

DrHansReinhardt

Nov 12, 2019
Drafting 14th

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Behind you
youtu.be
I appreciate your analogy. I base my opinion on years of data and living through it. Right wing hate radio is a reality. There is no liberal equivalent in scope. I'm an independent. I have plenty of disdain for the dems too.
First of all you are far from indpendent and objective.

Second of all the bolded portion is total bullshit. It was tried multiple times and just didn't have the audience, because before this recent wave of BLM, etc it was hard to rile that audience up and get it "addicted" like Rush Limbaugh was able to to do.
You must have forgotten about Air America radio and hosts like Thom Hartmann , Stephanie Miller , Rachel Maddow, Bill Press, Randi Rhodes, Ed Schultz.

My statement is not propaganda because I do not routinely reach millions of listeners over the last 30 years
Actually it was

I agree that money is the bottom line for the corporate media. Opinions are not 'news'. Kindly point out the liberal board that is influencing the media and stopping compromise in congress like right wing media overtly does.
MSNBC? The Huffington Post? Politico?

DrHansReinhardt

Nov 12, 2019
Drafting 14th
First of all you are far from indpendent and objective.

Second of all the bolded portion is total bullshit. It was tried multiple times and just didn't have the audience, because before this recent wave of BLM, etc it was hard to rile that audience up and get it "addicted" like Rush Limbaugh was able to to do.
You must have forgotten about Air America radio and hosts like Thom Hartmann , Stephanie Miller , Rachel Maddow, Bill Press, Randi Rhodes, Ed Schultz.

Actually it was

MSNBC? The Huffington Post? Politico?

Air America was a failure mainly due to mismanagement rather than lack of interest. There are studies that show how right wing people are more reactionary and get triggered so they become 'addicted' grievance radio like Rush. Liberal people are more difficult to corral. You have probably heard the old quote "democrats are like herding cats". Rs fall in line, much easier to manipulate.

lol at you equating some post I make to a national radio show. Get some perspective.

The MSM is on network TV. Not everyone has cable. Furthermore, 'the cables' are largely opinion. Get that straight. I like empirical data to base MY opinion.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The guy I linked to below does good work documenting the corporate bias in media, if you are interested. The corporate media is constantly making the 'both sides' bullshit argument to the determent of US.
The media's defining failure of 2020

From the article in your link:

Let's state the obvious: If Republicans supported Covid relief for millions of struggling Americans who desperately need financial assistance, then Republicans would have already passed Covid relief.

Let's start with the obvious: If Democrats supported Covid relief for millions of struggling Americans who desperately need financial assistance, then Democrats would have passed a bill without the bailouts for leftist state and local governments who mismanaged their public employee pension benefit programs.

I can tell you're a true believer and have smelled so much BS you can't tell the difference between it and a rose at this point. So, I will leave it there.

Reactions: kenito7

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Yeah and McConnell wouldn't be fighting for liability protection for his corporate buddies who are all balls deep in his ass. Like how is amnesty for breaking the f***ing law even a bargaining chip on the table? This country is f***ed.

Also, don't know what the hell is wrong will all of you. Air America was a great flick:

Air_America_%28film%29.jpg

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Yeah and McConnell wouldn't be fighting for liability protection for his corporate buddies who are all balls deep in his ass. Like how is amnesty for breaking the f***ing law even a bargaining chip on the table? This country is f***ed.

Also, don't know what the hell is wrong will all of you. Air America was a great flick:

Air_America_%28film%29.jpg

I never said McConnell was perfect, because clearly he is not.

There should be protection in the legislation against lawsuits related to contracting COVID while at work.

Any other protections should be left out of the bill. There, satisfied?

I'll leave the ideological arguments out of it but the biggest problem with the media in this country is the fact that 90% of news outlets are owned by six corporations. Corporations exist to make money. Media makes money by selling advertisements. They'll feed you whatever bullshit that sells the most ads. As far as bias goes, there is bias in everything except raw data and facts. But even when that is presented there is still opportunity for bias as it's often the stories the don't get reported rather than the ones that do where the real bias exists. It's also somewhat naive and complete laziness to think you'll be informed by watching a 30 minute national news broadcast or watch cable news. People don't read and that's generally where the facts are hidden. More sources means more facts and you can also decipher the bullshit far more effectively. Most people would rather watch some hysterical ideologue screaming at the TV about how the other guys are going to send the country to hell in hand basket.

DrHansReinhardt

Nov 12, 2019
Drafting 14th
From the article in your link:

Let's state the obvious: If Republicans supported Covid relief for millions of struggling Americans who desperately need financial assistance, then Republicans would have already passed Covid relief.

Let's start with the obvious: If Democrats supported Covid relief for millions of struggling Americans who desperately need financial assistance, then Democrats would have passed a bill without the bailouts for leftist state and local governments who mismanaged their public employee pension benefit programs.

I can tell you're a true believer and have smelled so much BS you can't tell the difference between it and a rose at this point. So, I will leave it there.

The dems passed the heros act in May, 7 months ago. The senate has not done a thing because they insist that corporations have ZERO liability for endangering workers lives. Your comment "bailouts for leftist state and local governments who mismanaged their public employee pension benefit programs" is a right wing talking point. LMAO leftist bailouts? I guess your 'info source' has failed to remind you that Blue states fund this country and Red states are a liability. Red states are the taker states. You are a foot soldier for the fascists, congrats.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I never said McConnell was perfect, because clearly he is not.

There should be protection in the legislation against lawsuits related to contracting COVID while at work.

Any other protections should be left out of the bill. There, satisfied?

I wasn't asking for you to answer for it, but since you did... why should there be protections at all for corporations that are forcing people to work in unsafe conditions? Elon Musk tells people to get back on the line or they're fired, no PPE, no problem?

The dems passed the heros act in May, 7 months ago. The senate has not done a thing because they insist that corporations have ZERO liability for endangering workers lives. Your comment "bailouts for leftist state and local governments who mismanaged their public employee pension benefit programs" is a right wing talking point. LMAO leftist bailouts? I guess your 'info source' has failed to remind you that Blue states fund this country and Red states are a liability. Red states are the taker states. You are a foot soldier for the fascists, congrats.

I dunno, I really enjoyed watching billions of tax money, some of it mine, being used to buy the loyalty of farmers in the form of "relief" from a trade war that Bozo The First started himself.

EDIT: And no difficulty whatsoever finding the money to pay for that BTW, but covid relief? Can't afford it. It's a national embarrassment, and I'm not even eligible for a check.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrHansReinhardt

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
You are a foot soldier for the fascists, congrats.
hahahaha

fascists

and you have the nerve to accuse people itt of being propagandized.. i assure you if there was a fascism problem in this country you'd have disappeared already

DrHansReinhardt

Nov 12, 2019
Drafting 14th
How many of you patriots, pushing back on what I say, support the authoritarian attempting to take over the country? And this guy scoffs at the word fascist SMH

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
How many of you patriots, pushing back on what I say, support the authoritarian attempting to take over the country? And this guy scoffs at the word fascist SMH
the authoritarian attempts by newsom to push his wishes via endless executive orders with no judicial checks and balances or are you talking about trump's attempts that are roundly being rejected by the highest courts in the country, as they should be?

you paint all people who question your opinion as fascists who support everything trump is doing, news flash i'm not and i voted as such

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Behind you
youtu.be
Air America was a failure mainly due to mismanagement rather than lack of interest. There are studies that show how right wing people are more reactionary and get triggered so they become 'addicted' grievance radio like Rush. Liberal people are more difficult to corral. You have probably heard the old quote "democrats are like herding cats". Rs fall in line, much easier to manipulate.

lol at you equating some post I make to a national radio show. Get some perspective.

The MSM is on network TV. Not everyone has cable. Furthermore, 'the cables' are largely opinion. Get that straight. I like empirical data to base MY opinion.
More bullshit.

If there was a demand, it would exist.

Even if AA went bankrupt , if there was a demand it would have started right back up .

Liberal people are just as easy to corral. the Republicans were just better at it over the last few decades

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->