Wed-27

New avg is 33 down from 36.28 yesterday

Last edited:

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I mean, 0 is nice but that feels like it must be a reporting fail. 38 -> 0 just doesn't seem likely.
That's why average it. These deaths are all weeks and months old.

The hosp and ICU are the most timely, they are a day old. The cases numbers are usually 3-7 days old

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Been back for a week and a half now with my SPED class.

Already had one near miss the first week. Would have resulted in class quarantine and back online.

Now I am waiting to find out this week if we will have to quarantine/back online again for a different student.

This is probably going to be a constant struggle for the remainder of the year.

Remember please that your whole family and that of every student becomes part of the cohort.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Wed's numbers (posted very late, I wasn't slacking like a McFly!)

upload_2021-2-25_8-34-32.png

2.9% positives

Hosp down from 539
ICu down 1

Rolling 7 day
Wed-O!
Tues- 0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mon-38
Sun-40
Sat-44
Fri-41
Thu-41

New avg is 29.14 down from 33 Tuesday

Reactions: Papa Mocha 15

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
upload_2021-2-25_12-40-23.png

1.4% positives today
Hosp unchanged
ICU actually went up 9 :thumbd:

Rolling 7 day
Thu-41
Wed-O!
Mon-38
Sun-40
Sat-44
Fri-41
the avg unchanged from yesterday @29.14

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
upload_2021-2-26_13-9-52.png

1.4% positives today
Hosp down big, was 515 yesterday
ICU also down big, was 160

Rolling 7 day
Fri-3
Thu-41
Wed-O!
Mon-38
Sun-40
Sat-44

The average also down big to 23.71, twas 29.14 yesterday

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
upload_2021-3-2_12-34-44.png

upload_2021-3-2_12-33-7.png

2.9% positives today

Hosp went up today from 419 yesterday
ICU down from 119

the death being off warning is still up there, so we will pause the rolling 7 day

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
FAIR Health releases study on impact of COVID-19 on pediatric mental health

In March and April 2020, mental health claim lines for individuals aged 13-18, as a percentage of all medical claim lines, approximately doubled over the same months in the previous year. At the height of the spring wave of the COVID-19 pandemic, this rise in mental health claim lines amounted to 97.0 percent in March and 103.5 percent in April.

In those same months of March and April 2020, all medical claim lines (including mental health claim lines) decreased by approximately half (53.3 percent in March 2020 and 53.4 percent in April 2020), FAIR Health found. That pattern of increased mental health claim lines and decreased medical claim lines continued through November 2020, though to a lesser extent.

Defining the pediatric population as individuals aged 0-22 years, and focusing on the age groups 13-18 years and 19-22 years, FAIR Health studied the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on US pediatric mental health. To do so, FAIR Health analyzed data from its database of over 32 billion private healthcare claim records, tracking month-by-month changes from January to November 2020 compared to the same months in 2019. Aspects of pediatric mental health investigated include overall mental health, intentional self-harm, overdoses and substance use disorders, top mental health diagnoses, reasons for emergency room visits and state-by-state variations.

The decrease in all medical claim lines is likely due to widespread restrictions on non-emergency medical care in spring 2020 and continuing avoidance of such care even after restrictions were lifted in May. It is striking, therefore, that one component of medical care, mental healthcare, increased significantly even while overall medical care was falling.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Sincerely doubt it. The number of deaths and hospitalizations for states with severe restrictions vs those with more open economies are relatively the same on a per capita basis.

Well, yes and no. All the current data indicate that opening businesses doesn't have major effects, but mask mandates do.

California is doing excellent at #30 given how So. Cal has the potential to be one of the worst in the nation. I can see NY/NJ in first because people are packed in like sardines in a lot of places there regardless of what they do. There is really zero excuse for states like Mississippi, Arizona, S. Dakota, Louisiana, Alabama, N. Dakota, and Indiana, Arkansas, Iowa, and Kansas to be higher than California with death rates. Those areas are all spread out to some degree. 7 of those 10 don't have mask mandates. Of the 20 states below California, only 6 do not have mask mandates and one is Alaska, which is sparsely populated. The biggest state of those 6 is Oklahoma at 4M. The rest have fewer people than OC.

There was no way we could have known in the Summer, but as Autumn came along I think it was pretty clear that Schools and Businesses could have been opened as long as everyone was dedicated to wearing PPE.

Reactions: Schrute farms

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Texas tried to reopen when they were averaging about 5k cases per day and covid kicked them in the face. Now they're averaging around 7k cases a day and they're doing it again, while having less that 10% of their population vaccinated.

#redneckmath

Reactions: jfont and LAKings88

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I feel like more and more people I know are getting Covid now, as in the last couple of weeks. Schools can be open with space. That means some students need to stay home. There are no recess or lunch activities. Classes stay in their pods. Socializing is completely different than before. Pods are doable when you have one teacher. Much more difficult when you have six. High schoolers are young adults with higher transmission rates too. Middle and High schools will have to be super creative to figure out a podding system. My guess is the next thing we are gonna hear is 6 feet is a guideline, you can do 3 feet instead.

Last edited:

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Texas tried to reopen when they were averaging about 5k cases per day and covid kicked them in the face. Now they're averaging around 7k cases a day and they're doing it again, while having less that 10% of their population vaccinated.

#redneckmath
California, New York, Michigan, New Jersey, etc. didn't reopen and got kicked in the teeth by covid. Now what?

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
Giving businesses the option to open at full capacity is the right thing to do.
It does feel like they're jumping the gun a little bit on lifting the mask mandate though.
Having unvaccinated people wear masks doesn't prevent businesses from opening at full capacity so I don't really understand why they couldn't have both.

I will say though lately I've seen a lot of restaurants packed with people and they're obviously not wearing masks when they eat and talk very loudly.
And I think most unvaccinated people will still wear masks even without the mandate, so we'll see if this causes any real significant change in the numbers.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
i can't sit here and act like going from 0 to 100 like abbott says is the solution, but i'm also not gonna pretend that there's been compliance in texas at any point either

pretty much agree with yoda though

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
California, New York, Michigan, New Jersey, etc. didn't reopen and got kicked in the teeth by covid. Now what?

You can act like it wouldn't have been much worse if people had been running around business as usual like dumbasses, but we both know that's not true. The decision in Texas is brought to you by the same people that said:

- it's a hoax
- ok it's might not be a hoax but it's no big deal
- there will be no second wave

500,000 dead and counting. They've earned the distrust. The only thing that might save them is as @tny760 said, there has been little compliance there in the first place.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
You can act like it wouldn't have been much worse if people had been running around business as usual like dumbasses, but we both know that's not true. The decision in Texas is brought to you by the same people that said:

- it's a hoax
- ok it's might not be a hoax but it's no big deal
- there will be no second wave

500,000 dead and counting. They've earned the distrust. The only thing that might save them is as @tny760 said, there has been little compliance there in the first place.
No one in charge in Texas ever said it was a hoax, or it wasn't a big deal, or there couldn't be a second wave, so don't even try that lie.

The actual data shows the states with severe restrictions have fared approximately the same as the states which were more open. Even the states which were more open were not "running around business as usual". So, this is just another fallacy. There is no evidence based in data that severe lockdowns made a difference.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
i can't sit here and act like going from 0 to 100 like abbott says is the solution, but i'm also not gonna pretend that there's been compliance in texas at any point either

pretty much agree with yoda though
That's kind of my point. Texas with fewer restrictions has had relatively the same results as California. I don't think Texas is going from 0 to 100, probably more like 70 to 100.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad