General COVID-19 Talk #4 MOD Warning

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
My in-laws Grandparent, in her 70s, got hospitalized and in the ICU. At home trying to wean herself off 0xygen now, nothing to write home about on medical history. Her eldest daughter got it from one of the young kids (Grandchild) The grandchild never saw her, just her Mom. Just passed right up the chain. I think the middle aged are in a weird spot trying to take care of their parents and their kids at the same time. The frequency of instances like this are occurring at an increased level. The middle aged are caught between the two.

Tonight, I went to get some Pho and there were a bunch of 20 yo outside a bar having fun. No masks no worries. I just watch people's families roll by on gurneys into the unit. It's their own families they are sacrificing. I feel bad for them, but what can we do. They won't listen. What a way to go though....f***ed over by your own family.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
My in-laws Grandparent, in her 70s, got hospitalized and in the ICU. At home trying to wean herself off 0xygen now, nothing to write home about on medical history. Her eldest daughter got it from one of the young kids (Grandchild) The grandchild never saw her, just her Mom. Just passed right up the chain. I think the middle aged are in a weird spot trying to take care of their parents and their kids at the same time. The frequency of instances like this are occurring at an increased level. The middle aged are caught between the two.

Tonight, I went to get some Pho and there were a bunch of 20 yo outside a bar having fun. No masks no worries. I just watch people's families roll by on gurneys into the unit. It's their own families they are sacrificing. I feel bad for them, but what can we do. They won't listen. What a way to go though....f***ed over by your own family.

I'm one of those and that's a frequent thing in California, which is why I was so worried about open schools especially, and why I was happy we weren't hit so hard early. In this part of the country, there are TONS of multigenerational homes, due to cultural and financial reasons, so even one person in the household being exposed is bad.

Jason Squirties

Apr 15, 2014
New COVID thread. Another thread to ignore.

I stay at hone and work from home. My friend's mother died a couple weeks from it.

I was hospitalized and had what felt like my brain getting scraped for COVID symptoms. Luckily I tested negative.

I have no "respectful disagreements" for anyone who either wants to open up or feels only the at-risk people should stay home, as if upholding the public health isn't a collective responsibility.

People are dying everyday. Even survivors are facing potentially lifelong consequences.

Enjoy the thread. I look forward to ignoring the next one, too.
Why were you hospitalized though?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
yeah f*** all the people who don't have that luxury right?

do you feel better now?
Now that the appropriate signaling has occurred I am sure he feels virtuous and morally superior.

Forced collectivism never works.

Last edited:
The point is the inconsistent message from our "leaders".

Big box stores are open. No mention from anyone about the importance of not going out shopping on the Friday after Thanksgiving.

Restaurants are closed for even outdoor dining.

Don't gather your family for Thanksgiving.

My point is we are all free adults capable of making our own decisions based on the risk we perceive.

No argument in the inconsistent message from leadership in this country. However, i was listening to AM radio the other day and they were playing clips of Cuomo in New York. I believe he said that their contact tracing data shows that over 70% (don't remember the exact number) of infections are coming from private gatherings. So if that's accurate, the government should be encouraging people to not gather in large groups in private and let our businesses operate with the proper controls in place. But the real important part of that statement is the former which can't legally be controlled. It requires discipline and discretion along with leadership people trust.

It's really insane that it seems that politicians are using ideology for their response. It's scorched earth on the left and pretend like nothing is going on with the right. The real sad part is we're getting yet another display of the lack of critical thinking in this country. The public has followed suit forming their opinions and behavior based on political ideology. It's really pathetic that humans in this country have devolved to that.

Citation: Cuomo: Contact tracing reveals 'living room spread' drove COVID-19 spikes

So, if we're responsible, we should have very small holiday gatherings. We should also allow businesses to operate with proper controls in place. That is not the message being delivered from any elected official in this country as far as I know.

If we really believe this data then why in the hell are restaurants the sacrificial lamb? 1.4%? Wtf are we doing? I say this as a person who has not sat down at a restaurant since February. Instead I choose to order take out nearly every day of the week to support these places. I'm not paranoid about getting sick. I don't want to deliver it to my 73 year old mother who is by herself and needs help. Plus I'm literally her only human contact keeping her from going insane.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Citation: Cuomo: Contact tracing reveals 'living room spread' drove COVID-19 spikes

So, if we're responsible, we should have very small holiday gatherings. We should also allow businesses to operate with proper controls in place. That is not the message being delivered from any elected official in this country as far as I know.

If we really believe this data then why in the hell are restaurants the sacrificial lamb? 1.4%? Wtf are we doing? I say this as a person who has not sat down at a restaurant since February. Instead I choose to order take out nearly every day of the week to support these places. I'm not paranoid about getting sick. I don't want to deliver it to my 73 year old mother who is by herself and needs help. Plus I'm literally her only human contact keeping her from going insane.
I agree. We had a very small gathering at Thanksgiving with only people who are not high-risk individuals.

My Mom and my five aunts (all over 80) stayed home, and each of us delivered a plate to them for Thanksgiving. Hoping we can gather as a large family next holiday season.

Last edited:

tny760

Mar 12, 2017

i mean, far be it from me to believe anything cuomo says at this point after his and de blasio's "efforts" earlier this year... but i'm not all too surprised to see those numbers. local gym here run by a vehement anti-shutdown guy has been contact tracing every member since day one, not one case goes back to there.

i also haven't been to a restaurant aside from takeout since day one, but suffice to say i feel less safe at a home depot or costco than i do at a restaurant

i mean, far be it from me to believe anything cuomo says at this point after his and de blasio's "efforts" earlier this year... but i'm not all too surprised to see those numbers. local gym here run by a vehement anti-shutdown guy has been contact tracing every member since day one, not one case goes back to there.

i also haven't been to a restaurant aside from takeout since day one, but suffice to say i feel less safe at a home depot or costco than i do at a restaurant

I don't like the guy but you have to at least give him credit for putting out data that doesn't fit the narrative.

I'm also tend to give the benefit of the doubt to all of the governors no matter the party. The Federal government has one sole purpose. That is to protect the nation and its people. The Federal government failed in my opinion. That's not just Trump. That's everyone in congress that could've have made preparations for this scenario a priority. Texas children's hospital was going to go to trials for a SARS vaccine in 2016 when funding went out. Hindsight is 20/20 but if one of these idiots in office would've had the foresight to fund that in 2016, we would've been far more prepared for this. They were warned by plenty of epidemiologist that this was on the horizon and nobody did a damn thing.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I don't like the guy but you have to at least give him credit for putting out data that doesn't fit the narrative.

I'm also tend to give the benefit of the doubt to all of the governors no matter the party. The Federal government has one sole purpose. That is to protect the nation and its people. The Federal government failed in my opinion. That's not just Trump. That's everyone in congress that could've have made preparations for this scenario a priority. Texas children's hospital was going to go to trials for a SARS vaccine in 2016 when funding went out. Hindsight is 20/20 but if one of these idiots in office would've had the foresight to fund that in 2016, we would've been far more prepared for this. They were warned by plenty of epidemiologist that this was on the horizon and nobody did a damn thing.

Untrue. They used it as a golden opportunity to line their own pockets.

0hNaNEB.jpg

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

RIP Global Health Security and Biodefense unit, 2015 - May 2018.

We were as prepared as could be federally...until the above was disbanded. Talk about unfortunately-timed shortsightedness.

RIP Global Health Security and Biodefense unit, 2015 - May 2018.

We were as prepared as could be federally...until the above was disbanded. Talk about unfortunately-timed shortsightedness.

I'll get off my soap box but the whole thing is just sad. I was no fan of Obama but he recognized how ill-prepared our country was after the H1N1 outbreak. There were numerous attempts made to get the PPE stockpile replenished but congress gave a fraction of the money needed. Ironically, it's Trump's obsession with undoing everything Obama that at least contributed to his demise. When I was younger I was so alienated by both political parties and even more so now. Why is there no unifying voice in this country? How have we become so tribal when we really do have so much in common? I really feel like we're all living in the movie Idiocracy. Nothing makes sense!

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I'll get off my soap box but the whole thing is just sad. I was no fan of Obama but he recognized how ill-prepared our country was after the H1N1 outbreak. There were numerous attempts made to get the PPE stockpile replenished but congress gave a fraction of the money needed. Ironically, it's Trump's obsession with undoing everything Obama that at least contributed to his demise. When I was younger I was so alienated by both political parties and even more so now. Why is there no unifying voice in this country? How have we become so tribal when we really do have so much in common? I really feel like we're all living in the movie Idiocracy. Nothing makes sense!
I wish I could clone you bro

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
upload_2020-12-14_13-33-53.png

Second day in a row with over 3k new cases
Bad dog!
bad-dog-pushing-owner-finger-pointing-him-isolated-white-background-bad-appenzeller-dog-pushing-owner-finger-134946736.jpg

12.6% positives today

Hosp was 1122 on Friday and Icu was 265

Things are trending in the wrong direction

Rolling 7 day

Mon: 0
Sun: 14
Sat: 18
Fri:22
Thu:7
Wed:0
Tues:0

Avg is 8.714 up from 8.43 on Friday

$$$ unfortunately

taking sides and following the herd is easier than critically thinking and coming to your own conclusions anyway

Yeah I gave you a lay up and I'm not being condescending as that comment was somewhat rhetorical. I guess what I was saying is how can people become so tribal over a bunch of bullshit that's mixed in with a few scraps of reason.

The two party system WAS good for political transactions that were a compromise but it's not anymore. We're never going to get the will of the people until people truly care and educate themselves. The only thing the two major parties do effectively is pit the American people against each other. Their common denominator is the almighty dollar.

All the anger with the media and political parties is an admission that most people truly don't give a shit.

Thanks for allowing me to vent and I should really stop but it does feel good to rant. I'd go to a shrink but I don't have an N95 mask and they don't allow outdoor whining. Buh dump chhhh!

On a side note, watch Mark Normand's "out to lunch" Stand up on YouTube if you haven't seen it. It's f'n hilarious! Never heard of him until I went down a quarantine rabbit hole a few months back. He's my Person of the Year in 2020.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad