General Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion (Non-Hockey Related) - Part 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Proof vaccines are working. There’d certainly be another surge of deaths without vaccines, and the UK already had two surges of deaths. Lockdowns, mask mandates, etc… would be back on the menu if not for vaccines.

Anyone denying the vaccine while also proclaiming they don’t want mask mandates or regulations in place are in some weird psychological loop that allows them to void reality.

Vaccines are working for sure

Which is why I am now against quarantining someone just because they test positive. If vaxxed, you'll be fine around them in a statistical sense (likely to a 95% confidence interval).

Just go back to the common sense rule, if you are sick, stay home. Of course, this will make things hell for the unvaxxed, but to be honest, they made the choice. They need to accept the consequences of their choice

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Rising cases: blame the unaxxed. Lower deaths: praise the vaxxed. Now apply logic to the variance over time.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Rising cases: blame the unaxxed. Lower deaths: praise the vaxxed. Now apply logic to the variance over time.

In a 4 weeks span in Quebec (June 19-July 17):
~25% of the population (unvaccinated) are responsible for 64% of cases and 70% of hospitalizations.
~25% of the population (1st dose only) are responsible for 31% of cases and 19% of hospitalizations.
~50% of the population (fully vaccinated) are responsible for 5% of cases and 10% of hospitalizations.

The group most at risk (60+) are 81% vaccinated with an additional 11 % with 1 dose.

Mar 1, 2002

Monday’s move means people visiting restaurants and other public venues, or those undertaking domestic travel on trains and aeroplanes, will be required to show proof of vaccination, a negative test, or recent recovery from the coronavirus.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Natural Immunity After COVID-19 Found Durable and Robust

Immunity via infection seems to bring a robust memory cell response. This may be why we’re seeing such a crazy decline in cases in the UK. The older the adult; the more likely they were to be vaccinated. The UKs cases were primarily young, unvaccinated adults. Delta spreads rapidly, but it also may have pushed the UK to a solid threshold to take out a lot of the steam of COVID. Makes me think areas with high vaccination rates around 60% will follow a similar path.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
should limit our wave here as well then, since most of those who are not vaccinated likely have been exposed to the virus already

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
:clap: AP News: Bhutan fully vaccinates 90% of eligible adults within a week
... The tiny country, wedged between India and China and home to nearly 800,000 people, began giving out second doses on July 20 in a mass drive that has been hailed by UNICEF as “arguably the fastest vaccination campaign to be executed during a pandemic.”

In April, Bhutan grabbed headlines when its government said it had inoculated around the same percentage of eligible adults with the first dose in under two weeks after India donated 550,000 shots of AstraZeneca vaccine.

But the country faced a shortage for months after India, a major supplier of the AstraZeneca shot, halted exports as it scrambled to meet a rising demand at home as infections surged.

Bhutan was able to restart its drive last week after half a million doses of Moderna vaccine arrived from the United States as a donation under the U.N.-backed COVAX program, an initiative devised to give countries access to coronavirus vaccines regardless of their wealth. ...

Reactions: flyfysher

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Reuters: Sydney adds four weeks to lockdown as Australia COVID-19 cases grow
Australia's biggest city, Sydney, extended a lockdown by four weeks on Wednesday after an already protracted stay-at-home order failed to douse a COVID-19 outbreak, with authorities warning of tougher policing to stamp out non-compliance.

Far from a planned exit from lockdown in three days, the city of 5 million people and neighbouring regional centres spanning 200 km (120 miles) of coastline were told to stay home until Aug. 28 following persistently high case numbers since a flare-up of the virulent Delta variant began last month. ...

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
AP News: Europe on vacation, but vaccinations not taking a break
Europe’s famed summer holiday season is in full swing, but efforts to inoculate people against the coronavirus are not taking a break.

Instead, with lockdowns easing despite concerns about variants and nations looking to breathe new life into their ailing tourism industries, vaccinations are being taken to vacationers. It’s all part of an effort to maintain momentum in campaigns to protect against the pandemic that has killed more than 1 million across the continent, including in the European Union, the United Kingdom and Russia.

From France’s sun-kissed Mediterranean coast to the azure waters of Italy’s Adriatic beaches and Russian Black Sea resorts, health authorities are trying to make a COVID-19 shot as much part of this summer as sunscreen and shades for those who are not yet fully vaccinated. ...

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC

Monday’s move means people visiting restaurants and other public venues, or those undertaking domestic travel on trains and aeroplanes, will be required to show proof of vaccination, a negative test, or recent recovery from the coronavirus.

Unreal. Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it. This is terrifying.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
This is disheartening if true:
Study: 20% of vaccinated health workers who test positive suffer from long COVID

Delta wasn't prevalent for this study.
@Treb
Isn't it likely we'll all eventually catch COVID since it won't be eradicated, and antibodies in the vaxxed and infected will eventually wane opening us up for infection?

One of the main reason I got vaxxed was to protect against long COVID. Don't get me wrong- I'd still get vaxxed without a doubt, but this is worrisome information. Really, really hoping the UK symptom tracker showing Delta doesn't cause loss of taste/smell as frequently as other variants is true, because that is still the freakiest symptom of all, and, in my layman opinion- is likely correlated with brain fog.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
This is disheartening if true:
Study: 20% of vaccinated health workers who test positive suffer from long COVID

Delta wasn't prevalent for this study.
@Treb
Isn't it likely we'll all eventually catch COVID since it won't be eradicated, and antibodies in the vaxxed and infected will eventually wane opening us up for infection?

One of the main reason I got vaxxed was to protect against long COVID. Don't get me wrong- I'd still get vaxxed without a doubt, but this is worrisome information. Really, really hoping the UK symptom tracker showing Delta doesn't cause loss of taste/smell as frequently as other variants is true, because that is still the freakiest symptom of all, and, in my layman opinion- is likely correlated with brain fog.

20% of 39 cases is 8 people. Very, very small sample.

Reactions: Hoek and Dubi Doo

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
20% of 39 cases is 8 people. Very, very small sample.
Very true. Hopefully it doesn’t become a trend. I think I have a bit of PTSD from witnessing heathy nurses lose their taste and smell for months, haha.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
We are slowly going into a 4th wave, I don't think vaccines will help much because if you are vaccinated it does not matter because you can still get it.

I don't see this ending for the next 3-4 years because new variants just keep coming.

Last edited:

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
We are slowly going into a 4th wave, I don't think vaccines will help much because if you are vaccinated it does not matter because you can still get it.

I don't see this ending for the next 3-4 years because new variants just keep coming.
Vaccine are definitely capable of ending the pandemic even with new variants coming. The problem is there are still way too many unvaccinated people.
It does matter if you are vaccinated because even if you do get infected, you are less likely to spread it and much less likely to suffer from a severe illness.

Reactions: Factorial
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->