General Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion (Non-Hockey Related) - Part 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Part 1 - General Coronavirus (COVID-19) Non-Hockey Related Discussion
Part 2 - General Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion (Non-Hockey Related) - Part 2
Part 3 - General Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion (Non-Hockey Related) - Part 3
Part 4 - General Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion (Non-Hockey Related) - Part 4
Part 5 - General Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion (Non-Hockey Related) - Part 5
Part 6 - General Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion (Non-Hockey Related) - Part 6
Part 7 - General Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion (Non-Hockey Related) - Part 7
Part 8 - General Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion (Non-Hockey Related) - Part 8
Part 9 - General Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion (Non-Hockey Related) - Part 9
Part 10 - General Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion (Non-Hockey Related) - Part 10
Part 11 - General Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion (Non-Hockey Related) - Part 11
Part 12 - General Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion (Non-Hockey Related) - Part 12
Part 13 - General Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion (Non-Hockey Related) - Part 13
Part 14 - General Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion (Non-Hockey Related) - Part 14
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WHO Webpage:
Coronavirus
WHO Global Map: Experience
CDC Webpage: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
CDC US Map: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in the U.S. (scroll down a bit)
JHU Global Map: Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center
JHU Data Sources: CSSEGISandData/COVID-19
Worldometer Live Updates:
Coronavirus Update (Live): 175,769 Cases and 6,716 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer
Testing Tracker: How many tests for COVID-19 are being performed around the world?

Last edited by a moderator:

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Meanwhile there's another article that said there's a study that said half recovered in just 3 months. And that's why I prefer the good news thread to this one.

Could be the difference between those hospitalized and those not hospitalized. There are people with "Long COVID-19" who haven't recovered after months and months and weren't hospitalized, but the percentage of people who recovered after 3 months who weren't hospitalized should be lower than those who were hospitalized.

But those who spent weeks on a ventilator may have post-ICU syndrome or post-ventilator syndrome.

Those with Long COVID are having their symptoms ignored and it doesn't seem like doctors have a good handle on how to treat it. The vague symptoms of fatigue, muscle aches and malice falls into that category of chronic fatigue syndrome that doctors like to dismiss as depression or tell women it's all in their heads. So it's not going to be fixed any time soon unless someone figures out what's going on. Some of the theories related to mast cell activation, inflammation and serotonin could point to potential treatments.

But if there's physical lung issues, that sounds more like the problems people who were hospitalized for weeks would be having.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
In the worst flu seasons 650,000 people around the world die from the flu yearly. As of right now we are a little over 900,000 from COVID. I expect us to be around double the deaths of a bad flu season in a revolving calendar year. It's a bad virus, but the media and politics have gotten a hold on it and are using it for their agendas.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
In the worst flu seasons 650,000 people around the world die from the flu yearly. As of right now we are a little over 900,000 from COVID. I expect us to be around double the deaths of a bad flu season in a revolving calendar year. It's a bad virus, but the media and politics have gotten a hold on it and are using it for their agendas.

I wonder how many people would die of the flu with no vaccine. I actually have had what I think was the flu once in my adult life and never took a flu shot.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006

And what do you think the flu numbers would look like with the same level of precautions that were taken for Covid?

Spoiler alert, not even close to that 650k number - Flu in the Southern Hemisphere has 'practically disappeared.' What does that mean for America's flu season?

Edit - and this This time last year 430 people had died from influenza. This year it's just 36

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Alternatively, ~60,000 Americans die in a bad flu season. We are already past 3X that, and you will be hard pressed to find many things that are killing at the rate that this is. That is after taking lots of measures to stop this in it's tracks, while no one gives a crap about stopping the seasonal flu.

It's a new, highly infectious disease. The media and politicians have an obligation to keep us informed about new information and new outbreaks, of which there is a lot of new information and new outbreaks because it is a new, highly infectious disease. There is not a lot of changes on a day to day basis on the study of heart disease. Informing me on who has heart disease is not that important, because they can't infect me.

Edit: I should clarify a bit... News outlets and politicians ARE putting their own spin on the facts we have for an overall agenda. The fact that this has been the top news story every day for the past 6 months in itself is not a political agenda, as you seem to be complaining about (and so many others are definitely complaining about)

Last edited:

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
Read the post above yours. When sick it feels is like three flues at the same time (personal experience) + the documented " lingering aftermath" for many. Its something worse than the flu, I think you can say that whitout an agenda and whitout exaggerating or beeing a liar.

I agree whit the "agenda" part and politicians though. .

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
The researchers from Stanford School of Medicine and ShangaiTech University show that the growth of a coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak does not behave in accordance with an exponential growth law, but instead slows down exponentially with time from the very first days. Their thought-provoking findings can be currently found in the medRxiv* preprint server.

Stanford's Nobel Laureate develops a prediction model for SARS-CoV-2

Incredibly interesting data. The curves in most hard hit pockets of the US seem to mirror this as well.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Alternatively, ~60,000 Americans die in a bad flu season. We are already past 3X that, and you will be hard pressed to find many things that are killing at the rate that this is. That is after taking lots of measures to stop this in it's tracks, while no one gives a crap about stopping the seasonal flu.

It's a new, highly infectious disease. The media and politicians have an obligation to keep us informed about new information and new outbreaks, of which there is a lot of new information and new outbreaks because it is a new, highly infectious disease. There is not a lot of changes on a day to day basis on the study of heart disease. Informing me on who has heart disease is not that important, because they can't infect me.

US average flu season is ~30-35k deaths. And that's not a confirmed #. It's arrived at by a mathematical formula using a multiplication factor to add to the actual confirmed cases.

Point being, we're already at over 6x the average yearly flu count. After ~6 months. With a likely "bad" fall still to come.

This isn't the flu.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The researchers from Stanford School of Medicine and ShangaiTech University show that the growth of a coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak does not behave in accordance with an exponential growth law, but instead slows down exponentially with time from the very first days. Their thought-provoking findings can be currently found in the medRxiv* preprint server.

Stanford's Nobel Laureate develops a prediction model for SARS-CoV-2

Incredibly interesting data. The curves in most hard hit pockets of the US seem to mirror this as well.

Well, isn't that the whole "flattening the curve" thing? Also this seems to confirm what some have been saying that the curve flattens naturally.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
Well, isn't that the whole "flattening the curve" thing? Also this seems to confirm what some have been saying that the curve flattens naturally.

For sure it seems to be on both cases. Positive means that its going to die out naturally regardless of human behavior, assuming that its correct (it seems to be to an extent), but Im no expert in this stuff, just reading the studies that are out there.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
France just posted record numbers again. They are getting close to peak USA #'s with half the amount of daily testing.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
France just posted record numbers again. They are getting close to peak USA #'s with half the amount of daily testing.

We're seeing a slow increase in Canada too right now. People are taking it less seriously because are numbers were great and some were thinking that it's over, and now schools are opening. It's hard to stay vigilant the year+ that this will go on for, but there's just no choice, any misstep and it comes right back.

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
And Spain just put up today's numbers ... they are a hair below the USA peak. One more day of slight increase in cases and they will cross the USA Peak.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
I know schools have re-opened in Europe, but are there any other major restrictions lifted recently that is likely leading to these jumps?

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
I know schools have re-opened in Europe, but are there any other major restrictions lifted recently that is likely leading to these jumps?
Not going to say anything about Sweden, time for other EU-countries to "shine" in the debate now

izlez

Feb 28, 2012

And Spain just put up today's numbers ... they are a hair below the USA peak. One more day of slight increase in cases and they will cross the USA Peak.
Which numbers are you referring to? I'm not immediately seeing anything close to the US

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Yesterday, per Worldometers :

Deaths
US 1208
Spain 34
France 30

edit:
Both with about 8000 new cases. That does put Spain at right under US peak of daily new cases.

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
Yesterday, per Worldometers :

Deaths
US 1208
Spain 34
France 30

edit:
Both with about 8000 new cases. That does put Spain at right under US peak of daily new cases.
I'm not trying to be argumentative here, just want to understand... Spain was close to 8,000 new cases in a day. The US' peak was close to 80,ooo new cases?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->