Arrested: General arrest thread Part II (Reuben Foster arrested, cut by 49ers 11/25)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Oh, come on, in high school 20 years ago, I used to skip class and drive around my old beat-up truck with a beer in my hand. It's not a big deal, it's just the way I was raised!

:sarcasm:

Are you gonna make sarcastic comments in every thread directed at those whose opinions you disagree with about the Peterson incident?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I think it's time to cut him. I'm all for due process but it seems he's getting arrested/charged with something every 6 months.

Apparently they didn't arrest him, just gave him a citation but he still broke the rules of his probation. He wasn't supposed to have any alcohol-related, drug-related or traffic offenses. The dummy hit on all three of those.

It was time to cut him a few months ago. I was hoping they would just move on in the offseason but they decided to give him another chance. There should be no more excuses now.

Everson Griffen summed it up perfectly when asked about it today: “Another time?’’

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I think the question needs to be asked; how much are concussions playing into this whole plague?

As we know of atm, Dwyer had never had a concussion. As we also know, the NFL had little to no regulations over concussions and players often either hid them or played through them. What are the chances Dwyer's supposed mental issues were somewhat caused or full on created by constant head trauma? It's not like we have any way of knowing.

That would be a big problem for the NFL if someone could somehow make the connection.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
You're not the first to make that connectio, Blitzkrug. Symptoms of CTE include increased aggression and poor regulation of moods. There's nothing conclusive at this point, and the natural counterpoint is that NFL players are already aggressive individuals.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I think the question needs to be asked; how much are concussions playing into this whole plague?

As we know of atm, Dwyer had never had a concussion. As we also know, the NFL had little to no regulations over concussions and players often either hid them or played through them. What are the chances Dwyer's supposed mental issues were somewhat caused or full on created by constant head trauma? It's not like we have any way of knowing.

That would be a big problem for the NFL if someone could somehow make the connection.

How much of a "plague" is it? It's bad but it looks a lot worse because the season just started and everything is coming out at once. The Rice incident happened in early February, Hardy in May, and the other two more recently. There's what, close to 2000 players in the NFL when you factor in the practice squad? Is the rate of DV in the NFL really higher than the general population?

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
HIs the rate of DV in the NFL really higher than the general population?

It's actually a little bit lower, and that's going back to the late 90's. I would not say the NFL has a "domestic violence problem" when you look at the big picture (these last few weeks notwithstanding, not anymore than the rest of the nation). But I would say it has a long history of treating domestic violence offenders with far more lenience than it should have.

I've said this before a bunch of times, but we have a very real epidemic in the US when it comes to domestic violence. The NFL needs to be out front and center providing a better example, just the same as we would expect from any other civic/business leader.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
How much of a "plague" is it? It's bad but it looks a lot worse because the season just started and everything is coming out at once. The Rice incident happened in early February, Hardy in May, and the other two more recently. There's what, close to 2000 players in the NFL when you factor in the practice squad? Is the rate of DV in the NFL really higher than the general population?

Depends on whether or not you factor in income levels. http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/the-rate-of-domestic-violence-arrests-among-nfl-players/

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I think the main concern with trying to consider income levels in comparisons like this is that the vast majority of the NFL players are new members of the higher income levels.

That's true, thus why I didn't present it as a blanket statement that they should be included. But even as newer members, it's obviously that it can still have an impact on crime rates (see the plummeting rates of theft-related arrests, for instance). It's a complicated issue.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Man Dwyer almost pulled a Jovan Belcher from the sounds of it, what a piece if crap

I wouldn't call Jovan Belcher or Belcher a "piece of crap." If the account is true, he probably has some pretty significant mental/emotional problems. It's a terrible situation for sure, but mental illness isn't something to be ignored.

Mar 1, 2002

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Just wait..the "you never see this in the NHL" crowd is coming.

Well, for the most part you don't see this stuff in other leagues, at least not to the extent you see it happening in the NFL.

League full of thugs.

Great fun to watch though.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto

Yah its the concussions making guys like ray rice knock out his wife or Dwyer headbutt his gf/wife and throw a shoe at an 18 month old or Peterson whip the ahit out of his child.

Really???

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
**** with the brain and it can change you. Look up Phineas Gage. They're still responsible for their actions, but let's not pretend like concussions aren't a life altering problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->