Gene Carr in the news

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He was on my first Rangers team. I started following the Rangers in 71-72 and he was on the Rangers second line at LW with Walt Tkachuk at center and Billy Fairbairn at right wing. He was the Rangers youngest player then and had flowing blonde hair something I think was always under the skin of the Rangers color man Bill Chadwick who couldn't help himself from saying almost every game that 'Gene Carr couldn't put a puck in the ocean if he was standing on the end of a pier'. Carr played a couple years for us and then got moved. I think he started with the Blues as a 1st rounder---got moved to the Rangers after a brief time with them and then played with 3 or 4 other teams. I remember him with the Kings and I remember him with the Penguins.

It doesn't seem like life has been altogether kind to him. Hopefully his daughter will bring some happiness into his life.

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
My most hated Ranger of all time. Maybe supplanted by Brashear but that was for what he did his whole non-Ranger career. I loved Bill Chadwick's line that "Gene Carr couldn't put the puck in the ocean if he was standing at the end of the pier." Amazing that someone with such little talent could play long enough to have his body give out. I have no clue as to what kind of person he was/is but as a hockey player he was a bum.

Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
FWIW I was never a big fan of the Chadwick/Gordon broadcasting team---particularly Chadwick. I much preferred the Marv Albert/Sal Messina radio team. Chadwick wasn't really an analysis guy and Messina was and Messina and Albert would joke around and pick on each other--not the players and that made them a lot more likable . Chadwick was more like an opinionated loud mouth fan and if you look at television clips of Rangers games back then that comes through or at least it does to me. I think it was the hair more than anything that bothered Chadwick about Carr---the classic misunderstanding of the old for the young and when he got a laugh at someone else's expense he kept going with it. He was a conservative minded guy. But anyway back then I would have been about 15 years old and I was new to the game and trying to figure everything out.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Was the fastest skating Ranger while here.

In 77-78, he scored 58 points, mostly with Pitt, so he was not without talent.

Last edited:
Reactions: klingsor

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
FWIW I was never a big fan of the Chadwick/Gordon broadcasting team---particularly Chadwick. I much preferred the Marv Albert/Sal Messina radio team. Chadwick wasn't really an analysis guy and Messina was and Messina and Albert would joke around and pick on each other--not the players and that made them a lot more likable . Chadwick was more like an opinionated loud mouth fan and if you look at television clips of Rangers games back then that comes through or at least it does to me. I think it was the hair more than anything that bothered Chadwick about Carr---the classic misunderstanding of the old for the young and when he got a laugh at someone else's expense he kept going with it. He was a conservative minded guy. But anyway back then I would have been about 15 years old and I was new to the game and trying to figure everything out.

Will never get any better than Marv & Red Light, but I always thought Jim Gordon was a pro. Especially with the Giants.

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Will never get any better than Marv & Red Light, but I always thought Jim Gordon was a pro. Especially with the Giants.

Living upstate--WOR carried most of the Rangers away games and sometime you might catch a game of the week on weekends on NBC or CBS whoever had the NHL's rights. For me to follow every game I had to tune in to WNBC and catch them on radio---mainly most of the home games. Between the early 70's and mid to late 80's that's basically what I did minus those times when I couldn't which happened off and on when I was in the Coast Guard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad