Player Discussion: Gemel Smith

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think he's one of the guys who'll go down when our injured players (3) return. At the same time, I don't think he was on many radars to make the opening night line-up, so just being here is big.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't know if I would be so sure about that. The kid really impressed me with his relentlessness, especially on the PK. I don't think it would be crazy to think he could outplay the younguns' and stick around.

Yeah, but we've seen and moved on from a lot of relentless players who could never turn that relentlessness into any sort of offense. I know not everybody has to be offensively gifted, but you also don't to see plays dying on the same guy's stick over and over.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I loved his game. I think having players like him available is going to be big for us this year. We had an enormous problem last year with not having guys that can impact the game without scoring. I feel like with Maroon, Witko, Smith, we've got some guys who have lots of motor to give outside of making a pretty pass or scoring a goal.

Even if he goes down it'll be nice having that type of player available to us throughout.

Reactions: BeingTheThunder

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
Yeah, but we've seen and moved on from a lot of relentless players who could never turn that relentlessness into any sort of offense. I know not everybody has to be offensively gifted, but you also don't to see plays dying on the same guy's stick over and over.
Except Palat. Plays have been dying on Palat's stick for the last year and a half.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Except Palat. Plays have been dying on Palat's stick for the last year and a half.

Yeah. And look how the fanbase is reacting to him. That'll be true of anybody who can't contribute some sort of offense. Adam Erne, JT Brown, Brett Connolly way back when. We've had a lot of players who do good things, but we tend to sour on them if they can't produce a little something.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I think the difference for guys like Smith and Witkowski this time may be the game they're being asked to play. It's more about keeping it simple and emphasizing their grit than needing them to play an intricate speed/possession game.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think the difference for guys like Smith and Witkowski this time may be the game they're being asked to play. It's more about keeping it simple and emphasizing their grit than needing them to play an intricate speed/possession game.

Nah, I get that. I just think, over time, frustration builds.

I'm just not sure a strong pre-season equals a full time job for a guy, or guys, who have a history of yo-yo'ing.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Nah, I get that. I just think, over time, frustration builds.

I'm just not sure a strong pre-season equals a full time job for a guy, or guys, who have a history of yo-yo'ing.
I generally agree with that, but the strong pre-seasons are for role players in role player spots. The guys you've got to watch out for are the surprise scorers. Verhaeghe is probably the biggest threat of that.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
he could possibly be legitimately good defensively, hope that happens. like him more than paquette as the 4c if im being honest.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
I actually liked what I saw from Gemel Smith. He was in a tough spot centering Maroon and Witkowski, basically having to be the main driver of play for that line. I guess Point pushes him out of the lineup but as an extra/callup, don't mind it one bit.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Why does every player have to have there skeletons brought out. I really like Smiths game last game. I hope he does well. Knowing all the while hes a young player and just as likely to fail than to succeed. Honestly at the moment we need these kids to play well every day. Imagine if you will now if Killorn and Johnny had been traded. Thats a ugly picture.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Why does every player have to have there skeletons brought out

The unfortunate truth is mental health has a bad stigma attached to it and tens of millions of people are either indifferent or uneducated. When athletes come out about mental health skeletons, it provides more exposure and profile to the issues that the common person overlooks. My sister, dad and grandmother are completely batshit nuts bipolar with borderline personality disorder. I got lucky just suffering from really bad depression.

Now whose story in the Tampa Bay area is gonna get the exposure? Mine or Paul Ranger's? My dad or Arron Sears of the Bucs? It might be a pain in the ass to hear about sometimes but believe me when I say more needs to be said and done

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad