Confirmed with Link: Gemel Smith - Waived by Boston 12/18

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Who cares?

Smith showed me nothing special in his cameo appearance here. Acciari at least hits people when he’s on his game.

what do you expect from a guy new to the team?

Smith also was playing out of position (4th line)

Does he look like a 4th player? Especially the kind Cassidy puts out on the ice (sandpaper)

Would of liked to see him play on the 3rd line a few games

anyways like you stated not a big deal... if he gets sent down and puts up some points/plays well, can call him up later

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Was hoping the kid would show something in the way of intensity. I hope he clears and gets another chance at some point.

Look like a good kid.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
what do you expect from a guy new to the team?

Smith also was playing out of position (4th line)

Does he look like a 4th player? Especially the kind Cassidy puts out on the ice (sandpaper)

Would of liked to see him play on the 3rd line a few games

anyways like you stated not a big deal... if he gets sent down and puts up some points/plays well, can call him up later

Played out of position?

He was a part time AHL player/part time 4th line player for Dallas before he was waived by them.

He wasn’t out of position.

Reactions: UConn126

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
45-50 responses, many bemoaning that he was waived instead of Acciari.

Your post made no reference to Accari. You actually specifically said you couldn't understand what all the angst about a guy they picked up of off f***ing waivers.
I didn't see any angst hence I asked what you were referring to. Even if someone is wondering why Accari wasn't sent down instead, that doesn't really qualify for angst, does it?

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Smith seemed like a Jag to me. Maybe sometime in Providence will help his game and get acclimated to the system. This also tells me Bergeron is in his way back

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
The Bruins claimed him for a reason. He is still new to the team and the system. Smith is a veteran. He goes down Rt 95 to get aquainted and if the Bruins see what they wanted to see when they claimed him, he is a solid energy option. It’s as simple as that.

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005
I really liked his speed and thought he might do well here. Not given enough time to really see what he could do. Sad to see him go so soon, unless he clears of course.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
Thought I'd see more.

He had size and speed but didnt engage anyone on the forecheck.

He actually reminded me of Recchi, maybe more because of the number, but he didn't have any aggressiveness in his game.

Was worth the shot

MillerTime86

Nov 30, 2018
Not the answer they were looking for. Cost them nothing to give it the old college try.

If he’s claimed, good for him. Hopefully he goes back to Dallas where he seems to be really liked. If not, he makes Providence better in the interim and can be a servicible 3rd-4th line callup if needed.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
When your management team does little to improve your roster, you split hairs over the Gemel Smiths of the world.

I too would wish the bruins would do more but I think Smith served a purpose. As the likes of Acciari,Kuraly and Wagner seemed to play with a little more desperation once Smith was brought in.

Acciari gets a lot of flack but I feel Kuraly has taken a step back, he still has the hustle and speed but his on ice vision and his shot selection and the authority of it, has been absolutely terrible.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
When your management team does little to improve your roster, you split hairs over the Gemel Smiths of the world.

Guessing the management team is looking at a roster that has been absolutely decimated by injuries and they want to try to see what the team looks like relatively healthy before making a move that would cost them significant assets?

Not sexy, but prudent.

I would look to STL, CHI, possibly NJ or PHI to add a Top 6 wing or 3rd line C.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Guessing the management team is looking at a roster that has been absolutely decimated by injuries and they want to try to see what the team looks like relatively healthy before making a move that would cost them significant assets?

Not sexy, but prudent.

I would look to STL, CHI, possibly NJ or PHI to add a Top 6 wing or 3rd line C.
Yep. I’ve been among Sweeney’s biggest critics, but I don’t blame them for taking a wait and see approach with this club.

If they’re not contenders this season, I want them to sell, but I’d settle for standing pat and not investing future picks on this season.

Doesn’t hurt to throw crap against the wall and see if any of it sticks in the meantime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad