Confirmed with Link: Gemel Smith - Waived by Boston 12/18

Tbrady12

Oct 19, 2018
I cannot remember the exact rule, but if he makes it through waivers, I believe Dallas has the option of taking him back and can out him on their AHL roster?

Not completely sure on this, but reading the waivers rule it looks like they get first shot at him since he was claimed from them and is now back on waivers. If Dallas claims him, they can then send him to the AHL directly or keep him up.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Not like they gave anything up for him to take a look.

I get that, but he got into 3 games and played maybe what, 30 minutes? They take forever to evaluate guys, but came to this decision awful quick.

I guess I just don't understand what they thought they were getting?

Bergeron will be back soon, hopefully DeBrusk as well, so this guy wasn't going to play, just find it a little curious..

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
I get there’s an emotional aspect to it....

But pay me 250k over 4 years then reward me with 750k for the year, I’ll do anything you ask. Hell, I’ll do the ice between periods for you too.

I’m sure it sucks especially for younger kids like Smith but it was actually probably good for him to go through this from a personal standpoint. Better to learn “it’s a business” dinner rather than later

Reactions: TCB

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
This was totally predictable given that Acciari is back playing again and doing OK, and Bergeron almost ready to come back. Smith turned out to be only marginally faster than Acciari and not as physical.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
When they picked up my 1st thought was...What?
Now they have put him on waivers my 1st thought was.....What?

Didn't get this move at all. We got way to many of this kind of player.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario

Yeah got to agree,really never got what they thought he was going to bring,I could have seen them gambling on a guy who had maybe been a goal scorer at one time who has struggled,but they picked up to hope maybe they got it back,or even a big physical type player but Smith was neither.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

Worth taking a flyer on him, I guess. Didn't cost anything other than money. If he showed up, played well and scored some goals, he'd probably still be here.

He didn't...so he's out.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
As short as his time was here, I think he did his job well. The Bruins going outside of the organization for 4th line help certainly woke up guys like Acciari, Kuraly, Wagner, Cave, and Nordstrom.

Reactions: TCB and Sevendust

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
Meh, I wish they gave him more of a look, but I'm not surprised. Butch has a tent pitched for Acciari.

Accari is like Randy Burridge. Except Stumpy skated a bit better. And Burridge could score, scored like 20+ goals plus five or six times. I take it all back...

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Accari is like Randy Burridge. Except Stumpy skated a bit better. And Burridge could score, scored like 20+ goals plus five or six times. I take it all back...

.Burridge was way better then him.Still remember them beautuful plays to set up Kasper at Montreal forum and finally beat them habs.Randy had 460 points in like just over 700 games

Reactions: TCB

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
well that was quick. Living now on the West coast, seem to be getting alot of Duck games, no reason I don`t think they`d move him but they have a guy named Sherwood who I really like who seems to be on their 4th line and on a few occasions, he took faceoffs and was on the wing, not a big guy but plays with loads of energy and speed, has some hands but none that are to be mistaken as a top 6 guy`s hands.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Cassidy basically said he's loyal to "his" guys, and Smith isn't a rod hockey forward so he's the odd man out of the 4th line.

Cassidy is loyal to his guys/vets

and also who are true to his system

If you are not willing to go into the corner/dirty areas and prepare to win some battles and lose some teeth in the process.... you are not getting much playing time

I don't think there is one player on the team without a few missing teeth. Except Marchand, Bergeron, Chara.....

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Fourth line has looked a lot better since Acciari went in and probably had their 3 best games.

Acciari prob told those two....who the hell is this new kid on the block??

help me back in guys.... and they have played a punishing sandpaper game , since

Smith would have stood a better shot playing on the other two lines but no spots open/punish Acciari a few games

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Cassidy is loyal to his guys/vets

and also who are true to his system

If you are not willing to go into the corner/dirty areas and prepare to win some battles and lose some teeth in the process.... you are not getting much playing time

I don't think there is one player on the team without a few missing teeth. Except Marchand, Bergeron, Chara.....

Smith is plenty “gritty” enough for the Bruins, and skilled.

Reactions: Boston Bandit

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I get that, but he got into 3 games and played maybe what, 30 minutes? They take forever to evaluate guys, but came to this decision awful quick.

I guess I just don't understand what they thought they were getting?

Bergeron will be back soon, hopefully DeBrusk as well, so this guy wasn't going to play, just find it a little curious..

That's because he was awful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad