Confirmed with Link: Gemel Smith - Waived by Boston 12/18

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Nordstrom has. He's shown he can play up and down the line-up, can play the PK and doesn't take a shift off.

He is also overplayed imo

From an extra fwd last season to 2nd/3rd line winger?

He works hard, skates hard and good on pk. But has stone hands. Cant make or receive passes in traffic cleanly

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
Nordstrom has. He's shown he can play up and down the line-up, can play the PK and doesn't take a shift off.
Meh, I just see Nordstrom as the shiny new toy. Yeah, he can PK but I’m certainly not comfortable with the puck on his stick. And that’s not his fault, he probably shouldn’t be playing 15 minutes a game but that’s where we’re at.

I’m definitely not supporting putting Acciari in for Nordstrom but if the move was made I can’t imagine we would see a drop off. Acciari was okay last year in a defined role.

Tbrady12

Oct 19, 2018
Smith wasn't brought in for hitting....I thought the 4th was awesome last night because they were playing with Speed not physical play.

He is a 4th line player, was in Dallas too. So he is the non-physical 4th liner the Bruins have been looking for? If he's going to play here on the 4th line, he needs to play physical or he won't play.

Reactions: Fenian24

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Nothing impressed me with Smith. Same as all the other 4th liners and Cave. Servicable but we have a glut of them and no real intangibles.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Cave , Acciari are willing to take punishment, go into the dirty areas to make plays

Smith didnt show this.... and now gets the boot

I liked what I saw from Smith, especially is a fast skater ... but he was misplaced on the 4th line imo

Two occasions where it was off- entering into the offensive zone ...Smith tapping the stick for the puck...but Wagner dumping and chasing. I guess Smith needed to go hard to the boards and dig the puck out

On the defensive end...Smith making a short pass to Kuraly who wasnt aware ...turnover leading to goal

Lastly with Bergeron and Debrusk ready to return any day now...I wonder if this was the plan for Smith all along, unless he was going to prove otherwise

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Not much of anything to get worked up about. Was basically filling space. They've already got too many of the same type of ineffective player on the roster to have kept him.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Bruins Acciari has played well last couple games.This was an eye opener for him.Is he a player we all like ? Nope.But most can live with him if he plays the way he did last nite.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Bruins Acciari has played well last couple games.This was an eye opener for him.Is he a player we all like ? Nope.But most can live with him if he plays the way he did last nite.

Without the hitting game, which seems to be gone for good, Acciari is a 13th fwd.

It would have been nice to see more of Smith, but Cassidy was up front about the fact that the incumbents would get preference. Since it is the last day to put a guy on waivers, smart move to shed the contract.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
too bad, thought he looked a lot better out there than Acciari.

seemed to always have his nose in where the puck was and got on the forecheck nicely

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
As others have said, I’m not mad about it.

But what exactly was the point? Like...what would he have needed to do to stay longer? Was he really just brought in for a couple of games to give some 4th liners nights off?

Doesn’t make any sense to me. These guys are professionals, but this is where being a pro player would be tough. You suddenly are gone from your old club (which you are seemingly committed to), in a new place for a couple games trying to adapt to a new team...and then you’re out into who knows where again...

The pay is good, but not an “easy” life by any means in a lot of aspects.

Reactions: Aeroforce

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad