GeForceNow (A better version of Stadia???)

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Has anyone tried this? It looks to be another streaming service but seems to integrate your steam library. It also has a free version that is actually implemented unlike Stadia. Stadia does seem to have the better picture quality.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I don't know about straight up better, but it certainly seems more appealing to gamers with an existing PC library.

Also, it's a much more mature service with a far larger amount of available games. Having the ability to use RTX features on the cheap is a nice add.

Not sure it'll reach the "mainstream" like Google can, but we'll see.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
This seems like a publishers "rift". Wouldn't they do this with any streaming service? I honestly haven't been paying much attention so I don't know if this is true or not for other gaming streaming services.

This is like EA pulling their games from Steam so they can have them on Origin, except we don't even know if this product will work and with Activision/Blizzard here they probably haven't even started making their own so overall it's way more ludicrous. I don't think it's necessarily going to be the death of the service though, but you're probably going to see some big publishers be complete dumb asses about it.

From what I can tell here this NVidia service is like Stadia but much more modest without the hype or any bell's or whistles. From what I can tell there's no extra controller or store front or game optimization, you just take your existing Steam account and if your PC is maybe under powered for a game you can pay a low monthly subscription fee to play the game on their hardware and stream it to your PC. So they're not trying to remake the industry but just provide a simple convenience service, I ever never really been sure how the economics of such a service will work but I think it has a much better chance at sticking around than Stadia because of this with additional help in not spending millions on advertising. They just need to keep up enough hardware to meet the needs of the audience using it and make that work economically.

Which is why Activision are real dumbasses here. Where a service like Origin is an inconvenience in that if you want to play EA games you have to install additional software, this is a paid subscription we're talking about to play games you already own on Steam or wherever. They might be able to make it work getting people to pay $5 a month to play the games you own at higher settings on their service, but it's not going to work if you have to pay $5 to NVidia and $5 to Activision and $5 to Bethesda and etc etc.

Reactions: Hammettf2b

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Love it. Zero issues. I play on an older laptop that can barely run games on low anymore... but I am able to play, with zero lag or delay games on ultra / high level.

Been playing Wolcen recently on Very High. The 1 hour time limit doesnt really matter to me much.

Like it has been said, it takes MOST steam games. Some of the newer ones need to be added into Geforce's Now's library. For instance, Wolcen wasnt available for about a week after it was released on steam.

For me it's the free portion which is nice. Got to test it and see if I liked it. With a baby I dont get to play games very long in general so 1 hour is fine for me. If I do get to play longer, I just exit and log back in. The longest "wait time" I ever had was 10 seconds to get into the game.

Reactions: Osprey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad