Sportsnet: Geek Hockey

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
People are upset that a xenophobe got fired?

Yikes.

It's been debated before but to get fired for saying "those people". Our society is structured to identify and celebrate the differences, Highland games.. those Scottish, Octoberfest.. those Germans... has he said things in the past that would raise my eyebrow...absolutely... but what he did that particular time was not reason for dismissal. The reason he got fired is not because of what he said, its because advertisers threatened to pull their ad spots if he didn't apologize for something that didn't require an apology ...

I remember when you actually had to do something to get fired, now all you have to do is say the word "those" and "people" consecutively and its OFF with your head...

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Losing Cherry killed any interest I had in staying tuned during the 1st intermissions on HNIC.
Kyper was very bad. Zero loss.
MacLean was solid but Marek, Elliott F and Johnston are all top guys IMO.
This is what I was going to say. If you listen to 31 Thoughts, they rarely if ever talk analytics.

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
I didn't like Maclean or Kypreos. Johnston and Friedman are two of the best though to me and I quite enjoy their takes/work. I think it's much improved, much better insight. Friedman/Johnston are more plugged in I find as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Loosie

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
I've already stated how I felt about Don Cherry.

I am not going to defend him to the bitter end.

I did appreciate him, but I never shared all of his views. Can't you live with that?
Thats fine. There was a lot I liked about Cherry, but if we want hockey culture to progress, the tolerance for some of the things he stood for needs to be lower.

And he was so out of it just rambling on every saturday night, wasnt enjoyable for me in anyway.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
The symbolism of the Cherry firing being done on Remembrance Day was very jarring. I think it was meant to be a personal affront to native born Canadians. And I had stopped watching Cherry years ago because I grew tired of his act. Yes, folks, it was mostly an act. Do some research about his personal life and relationships.

I blame the leadership at Rogers for this direction of their on-air talent. They are now rife with untalented and uninteresting on-air people. There's a definite lack of hockey people talking about the game now. I honestly don't think the people making these decisions even like hockey.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Personally i say good riddance to hot takes and rumor mongering by guys desperate tor a few more seconds of airtime exposure.

Just beacuse a talking head is loud doesnt mean what theyre saying was worth listening too

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
Personally i say good riddance to hot takes and rumor mongering by guys desperate tor a few more seconds of airtime exposure.

Just beacuse a talking head is loud doesnt mean what theyre saying was worth listening too
Is it just me or does the media seem to stock up on guys who are ex-Leafs or former management? I guess they think it gives them more credibility with this fan base? Its puzzling, so many guys who just had a cup of coffee or were largely irrelevant/incompetent with this organization, somehow managed to wind up as an analyst.

Reactions: Menzinger

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
My one wish with Don is that he would have left voluntary a few years ago. The content was no where near where it once was + he could have left on his own terms and been remembered in a better light.
He did leave then we where like Strombo sucks bring graps back. People forget things mighty fast. I forgot to wear a poppy. Forgot it was even rememberce day. I'm sure with Don as the only spokes person for it in 3 years it will be a distant memory.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Is it just me or does the media seem to stock up on guys who are ex-Leafs or former management? I guess they think it gives them more credibility with this fan base? Its puzzling, so many guys who just had a cup of coffee or were largely irrelevant/incompetent with this organization, somehow managed to wind up as an analyst.

Like Dave Amber, Friedman, Johnston, and Marek?

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I suppose you have your version of incompetent and irrelevent, and I have mine.

I created this thread because Johnston, Amber, Marek, and Friedman are useless.
Was just naming guys that were once part of the Leafs organization.

I don't have any feelings one way or another over the intermission shows. Don't pay too much attention to it.

Amber is a great host. Johnston and Friedman are both well respected insiders and I like to hear what's going on on in the rumor mill. Johnson and Armstrong are good media guys imo that have played the game. I like Burke as a media guy because of the stories he shares and his insights as to what goes on behind the scenes. Don't have any feelings one way or another about Marek. The only media guy I dont like is Poulin. I hated Romanuk as a play by play guy because he was terrible at his job.

I agree that Cherry and Hockey night in Canada is a great Canadian tradition and it isn't the same now that he is gone. Having said that I haven't listened to Cherry in a few years. I am surprised he was allowed to stay on as long as he did. I agree with the above poster that he should have stepped down on his own terms a few years ago instead of going out the way he did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad