GDT: Winnipeg returns to the NHL OFFICIAL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retail1LO*

Heh. I can't wait to hear the "Go Jets go!" chants, and see all of the jerseys. If there's any hesitation whatsoever as to what to call this team, I hope that sways them in the right direction.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
It's important for you non Winnipeggers to have an idea about the weather situation here today, expecting lots of rain, cold with 70-90 kmh winds this afternoon. We'll see how much of a damper this puts on the outdoor party.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida

"According to TSN Insider Bob McKenzie, the team in Winnipeg will play in the Southeast Division in the Eastern Conference for one year before the league realigns."

Article states they will play in the Southeast Division for 1 year before realignment. That's gonna make travel interesting. Why wait the year? Realign this summer. Its not like their short on time.

Retail1LO*

It's important for you non Winnipeggers to have an idea about the weather situation here today, expecting lots of rain, cold with 70-90 kmh winds this afternoon. We'll see how much of a damper this puts on the outdoor party.

The answer had better be "zero." For people that live in a place others like to call "Winterpeg", you should be used to far more inclement weather than this. You don't cancel once in a lifetime parties because of foul weather. If they can play golf in the rain, you folks had better be able to celebrate the return of hockey in Winnipeg in the rain and wind.

xerox

Hockey pimp
Feb 9, 2011
"According to TSN Insider Bob McKenzie, the team in Winnipeg will play in the Southeast Division in the Eastern Conference for one year before the league realigns."

Article states they will play in the Southeast Division for 1 year before realignment. That's gonna make travel interesting. Why wait the year? Realign this summer. Its not like their short on time.
sounds like a dumb idea.

Retail1LO*

Because, you'd be realigning the entire league when there's a very real chance Phoenix has to move after the upcoming season, more than likely to the Easter Conference. At that time, you can simply swap the two from one conference to another and make what adjustments are necessary. However, without knowing where Phoenix will land, if anywhere at all, it makes no sense to realign at this time. You'd just be creating a lot more movement next season, potentially.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin

That's what I'm thinking. It's not like they're going to have to realign 10 teams or something to make it work and this season is still going on so it's not like they have schedules out already.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

It's not like this happens more than once-a-lifetime anyways. Let it fly.

Retail1LO*

That's what I'm thinking. It's not like they're going to have to realign 10 teams or something to make it work and this season is still going on so it's not like they have schedules out already.

Again, you're ignoring the fact that the Coyotes could move after next year, and they'd probably prefer not to have to do a realignment twice. The Hurricanes stayed in the northeast for a year after they left from Hartford. Tampa Bay played in the Western Conference out of the Central Division before they moved to the Eastern Conference. Dallas too played out of the Central for a season after moving from Minnesota. Reaming in your division for a season after relocation is seemingly status quo for this league.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON

They are short on time. Teams have already submitted available dates for arenas, and a draft schedule is already in the works. A realignment would mean starting from scratch. I also think they're waiting to see where the chips fall with the Phoenix situation.

It shouldn't be too bad .. if you tack on two trips to Winnipeg in a western Canadian road trip (Winnipeg-Calgary-Edmonton-Vancouver-Winnipeg), then another one while visiting the central US (Chicago-Minnesota-Winnipeg), you've got your three trips to the tundra covered with minimal extra mileage.

Mungman

It's you not me.
Mar 27, 2011
Outside the Asylum
Again, you're ignoring the fact that the Coyotes could move after next year, and they'd probably prefer not to have to do a realignment twice. The Hurricanes stayed in the northeast for a year after they left from Hartford. Tampa Bay played in the Western Conference out of the Central Division before they moved to the Eastern Conference. Dallas too played out of the Central for a season after moving from Minnesota. Reaming in your division for a season after relocation is seemingly status quo for this league.

Calgary did it too when they moved from Atlanta (the birthplace of hockey on the prairies).

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
i dunno...that picture is pretty funny...i think i am going to join him!

GREAT DAY WINNIPEG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

preparing red river jig...15 years of dance classes will culminate today!

saillias

Sep 6, 2004
Calgary
I'm going to be glued to whatever media outlet has an online stream... if a boss or a coworker says anything, I will tell them off. :laugh:

Ketzlaf

May 7, 2010
Montreal

In my opinion, that only means that the NHL expects more movement sooner than later. Why realign the divisions now if they will change again for the 2012-2013 season?

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
sounds like a dumb idea.

Schedules aren't just made in June and July. It's a process that starts in mid-season, so it would be very difficult to all of a sudden deal with a re-alignment.

Can't wait for those Carolina-Winnipeg barn-burners ;) .

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

They played in the Norris ,,,, Not the Central

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->