GDT: USA-Russia 25.12, 7:30 p.m Local Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Such great moves by Ovechkin, Pestunov, Malkin, Shafigulin, Shirokov.. they were entering the american zone like a hot knife into butter.

yeah then they would try to beat the US defenders one on one and get knocked off the puck almost every single time.

people say "if the russians played their best they would have won!" well welcome to hockey, your team doesn't always "play it's best!"!!!

look...if the russians played perfect team hockey, they'd be great...then again, so would the US, so would Canada, so would a LOT of teams. saying "well if they had played up to their potential, they would have won" is just a copout, because they obviously didn't and they obviously lost. maybe if they learned to play like a team for the whole game instead of a loose collection of individuals.

and also trying to pass off the loss on the defense turning the puck over...well yeah, that was a big part of the loss, but get used to it cuz it's obvious the russian defense isn't that good.

the russians have a great team if their defense can play passably and their forwards can work together as a team for the majority of the game. i didn't see that last night and they will have to PROVE they are a better team than that.

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
I have to comment on the Bourque hype machine that seems to be rolling into 5th gear. Admittedly, I am NOT a Chris Bourque fan...and that's putting it mildly. So, I made a point to really try to be objective when I was watching him on the top line with O'Sullivan and Stafford.

First, the goal he had, where he knocked the puck out of the air and into the net, was awesome. Good job on that, for sure.

However, I have to say that his inability to pass the puck to a moving target is being completely overlooked around here. Did anyone even notice this? I f you recorded that game, I hope you'll go back through and look for it...so you'll see that I'm not just being persnickety or picayune due to my unbounded loathing of Ray, Jr.

He seems to be able to hit the net with a good shot, so I'm not saying he's totally useless. [And that's an improvement in my opinion of him]. But, on at least 3 opportunities in his attempt to pass the puck back to O'Sullivan, his pass was so far off the tape, there was just no way that Patrick could have reached it...and it wasn't as if O'Sullivan was out of place or not paying attention - these were puck passing errors solely belonging to Bourque. I used to think the kid was a little puck-hogging goal suck. But, maybe he just realizes his passing skills are nearly non-existent so he chooses to keep the puck rather than send a flying puck 10 feet away from it's intended receiver.

Furthermore, I think there wasn't nearly as much "chemistry" between that top line as many are reporting. I think O'Sullivan and Stafford played well together, and there were times that Bourque also played well on that line - so, I'm not trying to say that the line sucked. I just don't think there was as much chemistry between Bourque and O'Sullivan as people are saying.

And lastly, although he was kind of quiet - I think O'Sullivan's playmaking didn't receive the attention it deserved. I thought he made some outstanding passes. Although the goal scorers usually get all the flash for that, and I'm not saying they shouldn't....just that without his ability to put the puck on someone's tape the way he can, I think a lot of people wouldn't have made the impressions they did - namely, Chris Bourque. And I sincerely am not trying take away the fact that Bourque did a good job. Because, I think he played fairly well - better than I thought he would. [And you'll never know how much it pains me to say that...]. But I just think that although O'Sullivan might have been "quiet" as far as points - he was pretty damn effective in centering that line.

espo*

Rabid Ranger said:
I'll agree that the U.S. defense needs to tighten things up, but really, if Montoya was sharper he would have topped two or even three of those goals.
He was'nt sharp in the first two periods but he turned it around nicely in the third and made all the stops he had to and that shows mental toughness without question.After letting in a couple of goals low on his right pad side the Russians were looking to go there all the time in the third but he caught on to their ploy and made each and every save on every shot they tried to put there in the third.The Marc andre talk i am starting to hear is not yet applicable imo.......he gutted it out in the third and made nice saves.

espo*

I would also like to point out Dan Fritsche for particular praise in that game.Good solid hockey player that can do a little bit of everything and makes it a priority to stick his nose in there at all times.He can play on my team any day. I'm not gonna say to much about Ovechkin because it's clear anyone with eyes that are working correctly can see he is going to be a star.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i have to agree somewhat with the poster above about bourque...he was good, but i kind of question his decisions with the puck sometimes...when to shoot, when to pass...he wasn't amazing like people seem to think, but he did play well

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
triggrman said:
I thought Drew Stafford had a really good game too, he suprised me.

Me too .. I was impressed as well .. He has improved from last years tourney considerably .. IMO

he was a force out there and well deserving of the Player of the Game for the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad