GDT: USA-Czech Republic, 7:30 p.m Local Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
X-SHARKIE said:
If USA wins today are they locked for a buy into the Semi-finals? If the Czechs win are they locked in?

Thanks.
If Czechs win it will come down to goals for and goals against vs Russia.....thats if Russia beats the Swiss.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
If the US wins, they will finish in first place. If they lose, they finish 2nd or 3rd (depeding on the Russian game)
If the Czechs win, and Russia loses they finish first

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
FLAMESFAN said:
If the US wins, they will finish in first place. If they lose, they finish 2nd or 3rd (depeding on the Russian game)
If the Czechs win, and Russia loses they finish first
GF and GA is what they go by, not previeus result.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
So basically if you want to be IN the playoffs, you have to win, no matter what!

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
If USA wins today are they locked for a buy into the Semi-finals? If the Czechs win are they locked in?

Thanks.

If USA wins they are into the semi's, but they must win, a tie will not work if Russia beats the Swiss, which they should no problem.

now....if the Czechs win and Russia wins, the Russians are into the semi's because of there head to head win vs. the Czechs.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
JasonMacIsaac said:
GF and GA is what they go by, not previeus result.

Then Why would Canada fall to 2nd if they lose to Finland? Each team will be 3-1, and tie breaker will go to the head to head game, Finland would have to win by 19 goals in order to finish ahead of Canada gy goal differential.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
FLAMESFAN said:
Then Why would Canada fall to 2nd if they lose to Finland? Each team will be 3-1, and tie breaker will go to the head to head game, Finland would have to win by 19 goals in order to finish ahead of Canada gy goal differential.
Maybe I am wrong but I thought they went by goals for and goals against. I remember hearing that Finland would have to beat Canada by a crazy amount of goals in order to get first place.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
JasonMacIsaac said:
Maybe I am wrong but I thought they went by goals for and goals against. I remember hearing that Finland would have to beat Canada by a crazy amount of goals in order to get first place.

I think goal differential only comes into play when 3 teams are tied (head/head would solve nothing then)
Therefore.......If the Czech's win, and Russia wins, they will each have 6 points. Russia wins in the head/head, so they would finish first.
If the states win, and russia wins, US takes first cause they won the head/head game.
But I think the US will lose, and finish 3rd :p:

chicpea*

I think a lot of people might be misunderestimating the US team. They will be better than yesterday for sure and if they play as well as they did in the third they should do fine. I'll say 3-1 USA. (Frolik for the Czechs).

ndhockey21

Aug 1, 2004
North Dakota
So is this game ever on ESPN2 or anything. Lee had a decent amount of time last night and had another plus night, plus 1. +3 for the tourny now. tied for 12th in the tourny in plus minus.

Zetterberg4Captain*

5-1 Czech Republic. I have a feeling that Montoya will have a bad game once again.

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
It appears Russia is well on their way to victory over Switzerland which means Russia, U.S. & the Czechs all advance.

My question is, do the Czech's even want to win this game? A win (or a tie) means the Czechs would finish second in their pool. (and, consequently, would play Canada in the semis) The Americans will avoid a semi-final match with Canada regardless of the outcome. (win = 1st, tie/loss = 3rd) So the Americans are motivated by the possibility of a bye while the Czech's really have no motivation to win this game. (other than to send the States a message)

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
willie said:
It appears Russia is well on their way to victory over Switzerland which means Russia, U.S. & the Czechs all advance.

My question is, do the Czech's even want to win this game? A win (or a tie) means the Czechs would finish second in their pool. (and, consequently, would play Canada in the semis) The Americans will avoid a semi-final match with Canada regardless of the outcome. (win = 1st, tie/loss = 3rd) So the Americans are motivated by the possibility of a bye while the Czech's really have no motivation to win this game. (other than to send the States a message)

You are assuming the czechs would beat Finland in the QF first (and I am assuming that Slovakia will beat Sweden!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad