Attachments

• f3oUt.gif
    f3oUt.gif
    979.9 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: Bendak

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Take this with a huge grain of Bleak Hot Take salt.

I don't think it's a lockerroom thing. Maybe it's all coaching.

But I also suspect it's a team trying to find an identity. When Schwartz, Tarasenko, and Pietrangelo are tearing it up, the rest of the team seems to relax (in a good way) and do their jobs. But when those top guys are injured or not playing well and the team needs someone else to step up, it's not even a matter of lacking contribution, it seems like the team has no confidence/direction. Even now, O'Reilly and Schenn are playing well, but without Schwartz, Tarasenko, and Pietrangelo leading the way, everybody else seems foggy. They don't seem to relax in the same way with those two leading the way as when Schwartz and Tarasenko are doing it.

They need to figure out how to get those three productivity and emotional leaders going, absolutely; but they also need to figure out how to bare down at other times. It's obviously very tough for the kids to decide they're going to go out there and make plays that rally the team, so the slice of middle vets that kinda just go with the flow are the ones that need a kick in the ass. Bouwmeester, Edmundson, Steen, Bozak, Maroon, Perron, Bortuzzo, Parayko. Some good play at times from some of those guys, but I'm becoming increasingly convinced that glue group isn't the right one to foster the kids and carry the torch when the top guns are cold. I don't know how you change it and what are the correct guys to keep or bring in, but I just have a suspicion that even if the coach changed to a miracle worker tomorrow, that group will need a change, too.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Take this with a huge grain of Bleak Hot Take salt.

I don't think it's a lockerroom thing. Maybe it's all coaching.

But I also suspect it's a team trying to find an identity. When Schwartz, Tarasenko, and Pietrangelo are tearing it up, the rest of the team seems to relax (in a good way) and do their jobs. But when those top guys are injured or not playing well and the team needs someone else to step up, it's not even a matter of lacking contribution, it seems like the team has no confidence/direction. Even now, O'Reilly and Schenn are playing well, but without Schwartz, Tarasenko, and Pietrangelo leading the way, everybody else seems foggy. They don't seem to relax in the same way with those two leading the way as when Schwartz and Tarasenko are doing it.

They need to figure out how to get those three productivity and emotional leaders going, absolutely; but they also need to figure out how to bare down at other times. It's obviously very tough for the kids to decide they're going to go out there and make plays that rally the team, so the slice of middle vets that kinda just go with the flow are the ones that need a kick in the ass. Bouwmeester, Edmundson, Steen, Bozak, Maroon, Perron, Bortuzzo, Parayko. Some good play at times from some of those guys, but I'm becoming increasingly convinced that glue group isn't the right one to foster the kids and carry the torch when the top guns are cold. I don't know how you change it and what are the correct guys to keep or bring in, but I just have a suspicion that even if the coach changed to a miracle worker tomorrow, that group will need a change, too.
I think you are onto something but I am not sure I agree exactly that it's the problem with the supporting cast. To me, that's a pretty good supporting cast. It would be tough to find 3rd liners, 2nd pairing guys etc that are better than them.

My question is are our best players good enough? Can a team win a Cup with Vladimir Tarasenko as their best forward? Hopefully, but I don't know. I think we need to see a lot more consistency out of him. He can be so good and dangerous some games. Other games he looks like he's barely trying. You certainly need an elite forward to lead the team and he needs to be that guy more so than not. I don't want to see his career go the route of an Alex Semin.

But it's interesting because while Tarasenko is our best forward (because of his scoring ability), he is pretty consistently outplayed by Schwartz, Schenn, and ROR since they all play a complete game. So is somebody still your best player when they aren't performing the best night-in and night-out? It's an interesting question. And also a scary one. Because as much as I love those guys, your team isn't going anywhere if Jaden Schwartz is your best player. He's awesome, but he's not elite.

So that's where I think the main problem still is (aside from coaching of course, and goaltending lol). So when we have a guy who is supposed to be THE guy (Tarasenko), who isn't performing like he's the guy, I don't blame the rest of the team for being like "what the f***?"

(Disclaimer: I really liked Tarasenko's game tonight. If he played like that all the time though I wouldn't be making this post.)

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I think we are doing just fine. We have a huge roster of guys that can score. They've all of a sudden forgotten how to defend, though, and we are losing games because of it. Even Steen is tied for second in points.

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
I wouldn't mind giving DP a look with ROR and Tarasenko. It would give the line a RHS and when his game is on he is dogged on the puck and can get under the opposition skin.

I have no issue with throwing 57 up there, he has looked good wherever he has been slotted thus far.

I've been of adamant opposition to the Maroon signing since it was a rumor, and still am. I want him as far down the lineup as possible.

Many people have been saying the Blues need time to gel and get some chemistry going. Isn't that what training camp and the pre-season is for? The start to this season is almost 100% a coaching issue (whatever isn't a coaching issue, is an Allen issue). There is no reason that a roster this talented should have only 1 win 5 games into the season.

I haven't gone to a game at Scottrade/Enterprise/Kiel/whateveritis in almost 2 years, and refuse to do so until Management gets their heads out of their collective asses to correct the core issues. I was super hyped about the roster changes in the offseason, but visually it looks like the exact same team from last year.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I think you are onto something but I am not sure I agree exactly that it's the problem with the supporting cast. To me, that's a pretty good supporting cast. It would be tough to find 3rd liners, 2nd pairing guys etc that are better than them.

My question is are our best players good enough? Can a team win a Cup with Vladimir Tarasenko as their best forward? Hopefully, but I don't know. I think we need to see a lot more consistency out of him. He can be so good and dangerous some games. Other games he looks like he's barely trying. You certainly need an elite forward to lead the team and he needs to be that guy more so than not. I don't want to see his career go the route of an Alex Semin.

But it's interesting because while Tarasenko is our best forward (because of his scoring ability), he is pretty consistently outplayed by Schwartz, Schenn, and ROR since they all play a complete game. So is somebody still your best player when they aren't performing the best night-in and night-out? It's an interesting question. And also a scary one. Because as much as I love those guys, your team isn't going anywhere if Jaden Schwartz is your best player. He's awesome, but he's not elite.

So that's where I think the main problem still is (aside from coaching of course, and goaltending lol). So when we have a guy who is supposed to be THE guy (Tarasenko), who isn't performing like he's the guy, I don't blame the rest of the team for being like "what the ****?"

(Disclaimer: I really liked Tarasenko's game tonight. If he played like that all the time though I wouldn't be making this post.)

My point is not that the supporting cast isn't good enough, it's that they are somehow not cohesive enough. Not assertive enough. Too mellow or too easily discouraged when the stars aren't carrying them. It's a weird catch-22. When the stars perform and they don't need the supporting cast to be as good is exactly when the supporting cast appears to play better.

I think these guys somehow need to be meaner or hungrier about proving themselves and stealing roles. Or just way more secure about themselves so they perform like clockwork, even if that performance isn't amazing. A few of them fit each of those categories, but it doesn't all seem to come together. Not enough of whichever quality the group needs as a whole.

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS

So that's where I think the main problem still is (aside from coaching of course, and goaltending lol). So when we have a guy who is supposed to be THE guy (Tarasenko), who isn't performing like he's the guy, I don't blame the rest of the team for being like "what the ****?"

I dont think that most competent fans actually refer to Tarasenko as our best player. Best scorer, sure. But definitely not our best player. For several years, Schwartz has been better, and now (even though just 5 games in) I would say that ROR is also. Tonight was an excellent game for 91 despite not scoring. I hope he puts as much effort into further games, as he did tonight.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
If it wasn't for the fact Schenn and RoR were both centers I'd love for Schwartz-RoR-Schenn to be a line. Totally solid both defensively and offensively.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
ROR and Schenn will not want to stay here if we don't build a winning team. I'm hoping we do it.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I think we do have a winning team, we just don't have the glue yet. Hell, even Jake Allen is good enough to take us to the playoffs, but, the coaching staff is just... bad.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
So...Yeo read the board and did a few things we’d suggested. Moved Maroon off the top line. Scratched Thorburn and played 7D. Thomas got almost 11 minutes and Kyrou got 15. He even started someone other than Allen.

I think there are some questionable coaching choices, but the amount of roster turn-over is going to buy Yeo plenty of grace period. If he’s smart enough to make the above moves, maybe he’ll be smart enough to get the defense sorted out.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I dont think that most competent fans actually refer to Tarasenko as our best player. Best scorer, sure. But definitely not our best player. For several years, Schwartz has been better, and now (even though just 5 games in) I would say that ROR is also. Tonight was an excellent game for 91 despite not scoring. I hope he puts as much effort into further games, as he did tonight.
Well that’s not true. You poll most fans on which forward they could keep if they could only keep one and Tarasenko would get the most votes without a doubt. Goals go a long way.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Deep down, I believe this roster is good enough to win a cup. Allen could be the only player that holds us back, and that should be a good thing. The problem currently is structure and I guess chemistry, so we'll probably have to give it another week or 2 before we see roughly the look of the Blues. One thing to consider: The Hawks are only doing well because of a well coached team. Their talent largely is unproven, old, or just not good, but this is what happens when you have a great coach vs an alright coach.

On the other hand, the Blues have a stacked team up front when healthy, a stacked defense when healthy, and competent goaltending, but apparently the excuse we're given from the coaching staff is "we're making mistakes" or "we need time to gel." Frankly I don't buy that BS and it is glaring in the way the defense plays, the way the powerplay is structured, and where players "think" they should be. Instill a style of play, a structure to play to, and let the team fly.

Yeo has a big problem on his hands right now. The goalies are playing well enough to win you games despite Allen's gaa, and the forwards are surprisingly scoring enough to win you games even though they probably shouldn't be. If the defense doesn't shore up at the very least, I foresee a coaching change, possibly a whole staffing change.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
I've been of adamant opposition to the Maroon signing since it was a rumor, and still am. I want him as far down the lineup.
I dont know if its possible but this team would be EVEN softer without Maroon. The Maroon signing was one of the best signings of the offseason. A player with 20 goal upside for 1.75mil is a steal. It's not his fault he's being mis-used by the coaching staff.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Would anyone trade Petro for a signed Nylander? It would kill 2 birds with 1 stone, create cap space and force a new hopefully competent captain. Besides we have Chris Butler in waiting who has more goals than Petro, lol.

I don't think Nylander would be enough. Petro playing his game should bring you at least Nylander, Dermott, and a first I would think. You would really weaken your D core without getting a top 2-4 young talent in return.

Really it hasn't mattered who he is playing with, he is just off to an incredibly slow start. His mistakes have resulted in untimely goals this season. Is it... his luck has finally run out being caught for his deficiencies or he is just starting off a step slow? He doesn't seem to be playing at the same pace that he has in the past. Seems to leave his skates much more this season than he has in the past. I'm not sure what has brought that on. I think Schmaltz has earned getting more time. Give the kid a look. Very patient with the puck and he will actually hit and tie up an opponent...though not very well... Perhaps back Petro off some and lower his minutes. It sure couldn't hurt, if he isn't getting it done right now. Really no one is knocking it out of the park.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
I do not know why everyone is getting their panties in a bunch, losing a game to team who has top talent like both Getzlaf and Perry should not be all that concerning ......... :sarcasm:

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I would love if we could snag Kakko or Hughes via the draft/draft-lottery. That would cure a lot of what ails the team. Then it would also allow the Blues to trade some forwards for some much-needed blueline or G-help. The left-side of the defense is garbage. We've got one top-4 guy, and a bunch of 6/7 types. Woof. And the goaltending situation is probably in the bottom 10% of the league. They're not making the playoffs with that combination, let alone making any kind of run in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad