GDT: Russia vs. USA - Feb. 21, 8.30pm Torino, 2.30pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

SammyTheBull

Dec 1, 2005
Fun game to watch I love when the game goes back and forth hopefully the quarter finals are as great.

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
shaolin_goon said:
yeah i was stuck there too, but it's fixed now, obviously. I hope Kovalev starts to shoot the puck like this again when he comes back to Montreal...

And seriously though, what's up with Russias D?
I don't think Russia know's what that word means.

NYR2

Feb 19, 2004
New York
Not bad today, not bad.

Pissing myself over tomorrow though lol.

djtino224 said:
And Esche actually had the nerve to complain about not starting?

He stinks.

Basically yeah lol.

Force

Jan 26, 2006
i'm shocked i found myself cheering for the US :amazed:

Whats the english word for "sympathisch?" anyway i like those guys :)

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
5-4 Full Time.

Russia looked bad, trying to get too cute with the puck. Couldn't penetrate the middle of the offensive zone. Defence looked shaky at best. Boy did we draw a tough road to the gold medal match... first Canada - the pre tournament favourite and then Finland - the current best team. When you compare this to Sweden's journey, awful, but Sweden sucks and will lose to Switzerland anyways.

rahzar

Oct 9, 2005
I watched about half of this game at the gym today. I was actually cheering for Team USA. from what I saw they put forth a good effort. too bad Esche let in a few weak goals, especially that Kovalev goal. good luck to Team USA.

Broad st phantom

Oct 28, 2005
philadelphia
esche's performance seemed up to his par. wich wasnt verry nice.
yeah he has had a couple of good game this season but i dont think he even deserved to be playin in the olympics.

but good game overall

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
Jason MacIsaac said:
Why wasn't either Gomez or Gionta out in the last minute?
He was saving them for overtime. :sarcasm:

Because Laviolette has been having trouble getting the right personnel out there the entire tournament. He seems to want to roll three lines the entire game instead of putting out his best performing players in crunch time.

P-M Bouchard

Jun 5, 2004
What were team Usa lines in this game?

?
Guerin/Weight/Parrish
Knuble/Drury/Cole
?

Hatcher/Leopold
Schneider/Chelios
?

NYIsles1*

It's DiPietro's show and his stage from here, should be fun to see if he can play like a money goaltender in a one-game showdown on the World Stage.

Nemchinov13

Oct 19, 2002
Gravesend
Visit site
artilector said:
This is by far Russia's laziest, hence worst game. Its as if every player on Team Russia was muttering:
"Oh no, they tied us again. Shucks, now we have to go out and score another one. Would you stop skating already?"
:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

If we are going to play like that against Canada, not only will they run up score on Nabokov but also injure a whole lot of our players. Simply inexcusable effort. Terrible penalties. Another "too-many-men-on-the-ice" penalty. Just stupid. Yeah, we played a stupid, lazy, disinterested hockey. Kovalchuk was insignificant as someone pointed out. Malkin and Red Bull (not surprisingly) were the best forwards we had. I'm particular surprised at how good defensively Malkin is. Being the youngest player in the tournament and at the same time he is our best defensive forward. Needs to work on draws. He should be a great left wing fit for Crosby (and the two would make the ugliest line in hockey). Defensemen had a terrible game. I think all 4 pairs were on ice for goals. Kaspar was probably the best defenseman. Took body, didn't get caught out of position. The Volchenkov-Tyutin pairing is beginning to scare me. Both are young and fairly inexperienced. Tyutin made a mistake on Rolston's goal today by going after Volchenkov's man... Nobody was perfect today other than Nabokov.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Mestarin malja said:
What were team Usa lines in this game?

?
Guerin/Weight/Parrish
Knuble/Drury/Cole
?

Hatcher/Leopold
Schneider/Chelios
?
I think that your missing lines and pairing were:

Tkachuk-Modano-Gomez
Rolston-Conroy-Blake
Gionta (13th forward)

Rafalski-Liles
Hedican (7th defenseman)

I may have made a mistake, particularly with how the extra skaters fit in, but I think that that's roughly how it was.

thebodyczech

Dec 5, 2005
I'll say the same thing about this game as I said about the Canadians: an effective transition game can make, and sometimes is, all the difference. Just look at Russia's first two goals--namely the Korolyuk marker. The Russians have a perfect combination of skill and speed that, in my view, are unique to them. No team can skate with them. The Slovaks, I'd say, are the closest to the Russians in that sense, but no one outdoes the Russians in passing and creativity. Simply a brilliant game, offensively at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->