GDT: Russia vs. USA - Feb. 21, 8.30pm Torino, 2.30pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawn_kemp*

I'm not creating any other GDT because I'm sure the other countries have fans. ;)

Ovechkin+Bure=Goals

Jan 30, 2006
Thetford Mines
Do you guys remember the 2-2 tie between these two teams in Salt Lake...this game has a place in my top 10 most entertaining match of all time...Khabibulin and Richter were unbelievable !

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Here are the scenarios assuming Switzerland beats Italy.

1. Slovakia beats Sweden and Russia comes 2nd no matter what - we play the winner of the Canada Czech tilt.

2. Sweden beats Slovakia and Russia beats the USA - 3 teams tied on points so it goes to goal differential. Russia can finnish anywhere from 1st to 3rd. We play Czechs, Canada, or Switzerland.

3. Sweden beats Slovakia and Russia loses to/ties the USA - Russia finnishes 3rd and plays Switzerland.

That being said... if Sweden don't win they are garunteed Switzerland in the quarters, and if I were a Swedish fan, I wouldn't be too anxious for my team to win.

joe_shannon_1983*

The U.S.A. has had Russia's number for years.

It will be interesting to see if Russia can get over their inferiority complex and mental block as it relates to playing the U.S.A., and win this game.

shawn_kemp*

well, they do have a complex, but the last 4 meetings in best on bests were played in the US and the US leads that series 2-1-1 (WC04+SLC2002). :teach:

elimination games against the US are a nightmare, indeed :cry:

Yureeka47*

Now that Switzerland and Italy tied, what do the scenarios look like now?

joe_shannon_1983*

Yureeka47 said:
Now that Switzerland and Italy tied, what do the scenarios look like now?

That is what I would like to know.

Is it possible that Canada could still finish 2nd, due to the fact that they will probably have the better goal differential than Switzerland and also due to the fact that they will possibly have more wins than Switzerland?

shawn_kemp*

NO, Switzerland has clinched the 2nd spot. Head-to-head counts first.

Pushkin*

Terrible, now Sweden will do everything they can too loose and play Switzerland. They deserve another "Belarus" those loosers. Now we're gonna get in the 1/4 one of the two co-favorites Czech or Canada it's terrible.

Phil333

Dec 26, 2003
New York City
Pushkin said:
Terrible, now Sweden will do everything they can too loose and play Switzerland. They deserve another "Belarus" those loosers. Now we're gonna get in the 1/4 one of the two co-favorites Czech or Canada it's terrible.

I don't think they will. Maybe they will rest Lundqvist but I doubt the players will go out and throw the game. It's too difficult to do that as a competitor.

GuloGulo

Nov 16, 2005
trunkofacamaro
Pushkin said:

Sweden got bitten in the *** in SLC by actually winning their preliminary games fair and square. Same thing happened in WC 04. I won't blame them for being "creative" about the playoff scheduling. If anything itd be typically swedish to win this stupid game just for the sake of it. :teach:

shawn_kemp*

no one is going to lose on purpose today, not Sweden, not Russia

but if either team does, they'll be labelled as "LOSERS" forever

absolutic

Jul 26, 2005
Los Angeles
They need to change the format of preliminary round so at the end of the prelim round the 8 teams get re-ranked 1 through 8. And then 1st plays 8th etc...

ChuckNorris

Jan 25, 2006
Moscow
absolutic said:
They need to change the format of preliminary round so at the end of the prelim round the 8 teams get re-ranked 1 through 8. And then 1st plays 8th etc...

yeah and present the medals according to the ratings... thats stupidly the worst thing could ever happen in international hockey, alright lets give gold to Canada already, then kick their *** in quarters.. Then the whole Canada will whine and they will cast another gold for the players and one more for the refs.. Canada "A MUST WIN" because of their team last names sounds cool. LOL. Go for it. :clap:

absolutic

Jul 26, 2005
Los Angeles
ChuckNorris said:
yeah and present the medals according to the ratings... thats stupidly the worst thing could ever happen in international hockey, alright lets give gold to Canada already, then kick their *** in quarters.. Then the whole Canada will whine and they will cast another gold for the players and one more for the refs.. Canada "A MUST WIN" because of their team last names sounds cool. LOL. Go for it. :clap:

ChuckNorris, I don't know if my idea is 'the worst thing that could ever happen', it has been used in NHL for the last 10 years or so. Duh.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Pushkin said:

With all due respect, Mr Pushkin, I appreciate all the work that you've done for the civilization, but c'mon now. You are calling Sweden losers based on just your own assumptions.

SensGuy said:
Is Volchenkov playing?

they say he's hurt but he really wants to play so unless the injury got worse, he should be good to go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->