GDT: QMJHL All Stars versus Russian Selects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
I was at the game, and was definitely surprised by the whole deal.
Barulin was amazing, absolutley amazing, best player on the ice for both sides. Some of his saves were seemingly impossible.
Deslauriers let in the 1st shot (I think) and was shaky after that. Every time the play moved to Canada's end in the first, I held my breath. He didn't read the play well and almost let in a goal after he left the crease to play the puck and the puck bounced funny.
Crawford played the 2nd period, only facing 3 shots. One of them was a lightning fast glove save.
Daigneault was playing in the 3rd. He was solid at times, but both goals against him were very weak. Then again, compared to what was happening at the other end of the ice, all of the Q's goalies looked very weak.
I was not impressed by Sidney Crosby. This was the first time I saw him play, and although he was able to strip the puck away from a player with ease, he didn't seem to do anything with it afterwards and he only did this nice puck stripping when his heart desired. He was basically benched for a large part of the third, but did appear as the extra attacker when Daigneault was pulled. The Crosby "goal" wasn't touched by him at all, it went between his legs and was deflected into the net by Russian defenseman #2. I expected a lot more out of Crosby, but he didn't really stand out at all.
I was impressed by Russia's team however. After reading about the games vs the OHL, I figured this would be quite the blowout. But Russia easily matched the Q stars in speed and skill, although the defense was a bit porous as the Q stars had a tendancy to just walk in.
Talbot and Lambert would probably the best players for the Q team. Urquhart played a good gritty game and also showed some skill, grinding it out in front of the net.
I payed attention to Saunders, because he is a Ducks prospect and was impressed by his defensive play and his checking.
On Russia's team, I was impressed by Artem Romanov and Konstantin Romanov as well as Alexei Krutov and Sergei Karpov. They all were very good players.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
This Russian team looks better every game! If they keep improving like this, the games against the WHL will be unbelievable.

After the first game in London, I wondered why Barulin had even been drafted........ I found out why tonight! He stood on his head - how he made some of those saves is beyond me.

Tough luck for the Q - with that many good scoring chances, and a mortal goalie, they could have won easily.

Dr_Chimera*

Don't get your hopes up too high folks - this is still a weak Russian team.

The skills are there, but most of it is among the younger guys like Makarov and Nikulin, but they don't have the bulk to truly utilize it.

Adjusting to the smaller ice surface has also obviously been tough, but Barulin is excellent, I'd have much more confidence in him for the WJC than ever with Medvedev.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:
Now if we had Fleury we would have won 2 - 0 ;)

Who cares, the Russians are obviously severely outclassed, but of course are without some major players that are eligible to play. The Quebecers are missing some players as well, but even without made the Russians look like a midget team at times. A stellar performance by the Russian tender made this one even remotely close.

PEli*

I was at the game. The first period was pretty much garbage. It had no pace and there were a lot of stoppages in play. The second seemed a lot better. The Q took over late in the second and did all they could to come back after the Russian goals later on in the game.

Urquhart really disappointed me. Talbot and Lambert were pretty impressive though. This was my second change to see Crosby and he was solid. I was really happy with his PK work. He really made Russia's PP look like the game was being played at regular strength.

Too bad the game turned out the way it did. The fans were pretty excited tonight.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
How did Steve Bernier look?

I was dissapointed. He seems to have lost weight, and is a bit faster, but his stride is still very short. He played physical, and was around the net a lot, but I was dissapointed with his overall play. I've always liked the guy, but for a guy who scored 101 points last year, and had over 50 goals, he didn't seem to do much unless he was in front of the net. I was expecting more.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
PEli said:
I was at the game. The first period was pretty much garbage. It had no pace and there were a lot of stoppages in play. The second seemed a lot better. The Q took over late in the second and did all they could to come back after the Russian goals later on in the game.

Urquhart really disappointed me. Talbot and Lambert were pretty impressive though. This was my second change to see Crosby and he was solid. I was really happy with his PK work. He really made Russia's PP look like the game was being played at regular strength.

Too bad the game turned out the way it did. The fans were pretty excited tonight.

Bernier and Urquhart were guys I expected to see more of. Lambert was good, but I found his intensity wavered too much. Talbot along with Crosby and Dixon, were the best forwards for the Quebec team. I'll be very surprised if talbot isn't on the Canadian WJC team, if only as a sparkplug checker. I'd like to see both Crosby and Dixon there as well.

As for other players that I liked, both Alex Picard's were good, although to be honest, my memory seems to have blended their my individual impressions into one major video memory. The best defenceman for the Quebec team was Doug O'Brien though. I was dissapointed with the Quebec goalies. None of them impressed me, although compared to Barulin, I can see why I would come out feeling that way.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
I watched the entire game. The Q completely dominated but Barulin was amazing, it was pretty ridiculous.

If the goaltending was the same on both sides it would have been about 8-2, and I'm not saying that to try to gice the Q an excuse, they certainly should have had better finish around the net.

The Russian team was very weak, too bad their top end talent isn't over here. Still fun to see some international flavour though.

Personally I was impressed by Crosby. The play followed him all over the ice, he was tenacious checking in the open ice and made a number of excellent passes that should have been converted. I didn't see anyone force nearly as many turnovers as he did. He didn't get a lot of ice time though, I was hoping to see more of him.

He didn't deserve the goal, I'm pretty sure it didn't hit him but it's a tough call. He made some guys look terrible about 10 seconds before the goal going outside and then coming out front putting it through a guys skates twice. Nice work. He didn't have his best game by any means, but it was still very obvious he's much more gifted than anyone else on the ice tonight.

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
Barulin is the man!! Imagine when he'll have the 20 missing players in front of him...and lets not forget Ovechkin and Malkin are going 1st and 2nd so far acording to the scouting services... And Zherdev...

Russia will be pretty strong at the U20...

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Slick Nick said:
Barulin is the man!! Imagine when he'll have the 20 missing players in front of him...and lets not forget Ovechkin and Malkin are going 1st and 2nd so far acording to the scouting services... And Zherdev...

The issue for them will be defence. No Tyutin, no Koltsov, no Kondratiev, no Grebeshkov...

Aside from Anton Babchuk, there won't be that many defencemen. Grot, Kosmachev, Korneev and Gimayev are the other guys who will probably be on the team, hardly a stacked roster.

DR. Holiday

Slick Nick said:
We will score as much as we want to, you will score as much as you can...

I love the fact that you list montreal as where your from and then say we as in the russians. Go back there if that is your country of choice.
The top Canadian team without Politics will include only Crosby from the team that played tonigh.
Oh and he wasn't benched the coach in his wisdom decided to play him only on the pk and not the pp to save him for the next game. Bad call.

Is it against the rules to have traffic in front of the net in the Q cause that is what it looked like tonight.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
It's going to be an excellent tournament and Canada and Russia will both ice fabulous hockey teams.

Let's not forget Barulin was absolutely LIT UP during the first game.... He had an anomaly tonight, it hasn't really been the norm for him to perform like that. However, he will be very difficult to beat should he be on fire again at the tournament.

It'll be great hockey.

misterjaggers

Sep 7, 2003
The Duke City
forbesy said:
I was at the game...
Barulin was amazing,...I was impressed by Russia's team...Russia easily matched the Q stars in speed and skill, although the defense was a bit porous as the Q stars had a tendancy to just walk in.

On Russia's team, I was impressed by Artem Romanov and Konstantin Romanov as well as Alexei Krutov and Sergei Karpov. They all were very good players.

What did you think of #29, Vadislav Evseev? I noticed that he assisted on the last Russian goal.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Slick Nick said:

Sorry bud....You named 3 players, far from the 20 missing players you were bragging about! Too funny!

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
DR. Holiday said:
I love the fact that you list montreal as where your from and then say we as in the russians. Go back there if that is your country of choice.
The top Canadian team without Politics will include only Crosby from the team that played tonigh.
Oh and he wasn't benched the coach in his wisdom decided to play him only on the pk and not the pp to save him for the next game. Bad call.

Is it against the rules to have traffic in front of the net in the Q cause that is what it looked like tonight.

Keep changing your frustraion into racism (double racism; vs russians and vs quebecrs)... Did I ever mentionned the LHJMQ played bad, no... I just said the Russian team will be very strong at the next U20.

It's pretty raw to ask somebody to ga back in his countrey... Tho it dosen't affect me since my mother is french Canadian... And that my country is QUÉBEC...

Go back to USA jr, oops ur already there...

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
HabLover said:
The 'D' team??....c'mon, let me see you make up the Russian 'A', 'B' and 'C' teams then! Oh yeah, I forgot, you can't! HA HA!

Hablover... find some the russian selects on the Russia A team:

Complete 1984 roster

Gs:
Barulin Konstantin 9/4/84 6'1 176 Tyumen
Khudyakov Denis 3/8/84 6'1 185 Severstal Cherepovets 0
Sidikov Rustam 7/5/85 6'2 172 CSKA Moscow 0

Ds:
Ezhov Denis 2/28/85 6'0 192 CSKA Moscow (?) 0
Gimaev Sergei 2/16/84 6'1 187 Severstal Cherepovets 17-0-0-0-8
Korneev Konstantin 6/5/84 6'0 183 Ak Bars Kazan 18-0-2-2-2
Kosmachev Dmitry 6/7/85 6'3 209 CSKA Moscow 11-0-1-1-2
Lyamin Kirill 1/13/86 6'3 198 CSKA Moscow 8-0-1-1-0