GDT: Qf Finland - USA 17:35 CET 02-22-06

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Raimo Sillanpää said:
Every Fifa World Cup the YLE announcers tell us to support our neighbours (Sweden).. every world cup.

Yeah and I in someway likes it when Finland plays well. We as hockey nations are in the same postition.

But I talked with a friend last night who saw the game on YLE and he said the commentators where babbling all night on how Swedes missed shots on purpose ect. They also keept it up on the press conferance. Thats ridiculos, and the reason I got pissed.

kimbe66

Feb 22, 2006
Finland
If my team (the Finns) played like they have played so far, this should be a victory for us. But then again the team USA can play very good play off hockey. So I'm not guessing any scores but I'll be watching the game very intensively. Thank God YLE will show the whole match direct from Torino.

It will be important for both teams that their goalies make the important saves. I don't think there will be so many shots against either of them, so they can't let any easy shots go into the net.

I'm cheering for Finland!!

wildone26*

If Finland plays as well as they have so far USA does not have a hope. They were very overrated before this event IMO.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
wildone26 said:
If Finland plays as well as they have so far USA does not have a hope. They were very overrated before this event IMO.

How was the US overrated?

Everyone on this board dragged the team through the mud.

Its obvious that so far through the prelims that Canada and The Czech Republic are the two most overrated teams coming into this tourney.

TK79

Jul 5, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
wildone26 said:

What I don't get is why they have dinosaurs like D. Hatcher and Chelios on the team. It's painfully obvious these guys are way too slow to play on the big ice.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I don't see anyway that the US can win this game. They are going to have a very tough time stopping the speed and creativity of the Finnish forwards. Also I don't see the Amercians being able to create much offense. They will likely be shutout or held to 1 goal.

100mph slapshot

Nov 19, 2005
Finland
Our forwards should definitely go out and constantly challenge Hatcher and Chelious, maybe Schneider too. This is our key to victory. There's no way in heck guys like Hatcher can stop our offense.
But of course it all comes down to goaltending. We really seem to struggle with that in every sudden death-situation. Just remember Noronen against Canada in '04 WC. His weak performance pissed me off for weeks. :cry:
If Niittymäki wins this game, I'll drink to his honor until I pass out. Go Antero!!! :handclap:

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I think it's possibly Nieminen could play on the second line, he seemed to click with OJ... But I like that line, except that none of Ville, Olli or Jussi seems to go straight for the net... Too much passing game... Now in playoffs it's important to have more than one effective line.

This will be a hard game, The US always seems to bring out their strongest play against Finland.

The word Suomi for the country of Finland has a couple of theories about it's origin.

One is it that it's from the Sápmi word for Land of Sápmi (easily enough, the word is Sápmi, and is pronounced almost like Suomi, and it could have developed with the finnish language). Or that it's from the old-old-karelian word for storyland which should be almost like Suomi.

Guys like Gionta, Gomez and Rolston are the key to US victory. NONE of Niemi, Nummelin nor Berg should be played when these guys are on the ice.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I am extremely nervous... I've got all the players on my trading cards lined up on my floor :$

Any way to follow it online per text at least since foreign internet traffic caused Yle to stop their online video?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
TK79 said:
What I don't get is why they have dinosaurs like D. Hatcher and Chelios on the team. It's painfully obvious these guys are way too slow to play on the big ice.

IMO Hatcher in particular has played well. He's been a bit undisciplined at times, but he hasn't been burned like many predicted. In reality, the defense as a whole has been fine. Scoring has been the main problem.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
I'll follow the game with disinterested curiousity. I don't have any confidence in the Americans, haven't since the rosters were released, but hey you never know. Go USA!

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Here's my prediction: If the U.S. can harness the goal scoring in it's game against Russia and the defense and goaltending in it's games against Sweden and Slovakia AT THE SAME TIME, it will win. Otherwise, I'm looking at a 3-2 Finland victory.

Faaxinho

Dec 2, 2003
Tampere, Finland
This is the kind of game where Nieminen and Ruutu are needed the most, to irritate the americans and to stir opponents game.

I say 3-1 or 4-1 to Finland.

Matti_A

Sep 21, 2005
I am already shaking.

I have a bad feeling about this game. I feel we have dodged the bullet so far, but today we will lose i'm afraid.

USA looked deadly against Russia and today they actually have a real goalie between the pipes.

Roger's Pancreas*

Faaxinho said:
This is the kind of game where Nieminen and Ruutu are needed the most, to irritate the americans and to stir opponents game.

I say 3-1 or 4-1 to Finland.

I don't think this is the type of team that's going to get off it's game. Call it a hunch.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Matti_A said:
I am already shaking.

I have a bad feeling about this game. I feel we have dodged the bullet so far, but today we will lose i'm afraid.

USA looked deadly against Russia and today they actually have a real goalie between the pipes.
Actually I have a bad feeling about this game too. I don't know how, but I have a feeling that we will lose this one. :(

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Tuggy said:
I don't see anyway that the US can win this game. They are going to have a very tough time stopping the speed and creativity of the Finnish forwards.
Are you kidding? If anything, they have a team of guys who's careers are built on shutting talented players down. Shutting Finland down isn't a concern; it's scoring their own goals.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
IMO Hatcher in particular has played well. He's been a bit undisciplined at times, but he hasn't been burned like many predicted. In reality, the defense as a whole has been fine. Scoring has been the main problem.

Agreed. I have been very impressed with Hatcher. If the U.S. is to win, he'll have to play a major role in shutting down the top Finnish line.

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
I think Finland peaked a little early. Or I am hoping that Finland peaked a little early. USA looked great (besides Esche) yesterday against Russia.

3-2 USA, shootout victory!

DanKramerHabs

HFBoards Partner
DownFromNJ said:
I think Finland peaked a little early. Or I am hoping that Finland peaked a little early. USA looked great (besides Esche) yesterday against Russia.

3-2 USA, shootout victory!

I hope you realize that if the game goes to a shootout, Finland can't lose. Jussi Jokinen doesn't miss. Ever.

That said, GO GO SUOMI!!!

I've been hoping for a Canada - Finland finals, with other choices being Canada - Russia or Canada - USA, so it sucks that NONE of those are possible, but at least we'll get treated to some good games today and Friday!

Final Score: Finland 4 - USA 2.

Koivu, Selanne, Oli J (x2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad