Post-Game Talk: [GDT] Primary city vs equatic flightless birds

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Errey was whining about the distance from the boards. He also said that Backstrom pushed the d into Fleury on the Oshie wrap around and that it should be a coach's challenge. til they showed the replay which showed there was no contact with the goalie in the blue paint.

they are blind homers. it disturbs me that NHL net decided to use the ROOT crew rather than Joe B. They must have been hoping for a big Pittsburgh game.

I think it's accepted by every single fanbase that the Penguins have the worst PXP guys. They are cringe worthy.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Thank God people don't overrate this victory and understand that the Pens have a pretty meh team now. I'm not going to call it an embarrassing conference lead, but there's a loot of work to do.

So then who is a good team? Everyone they beat is bad then?
The NHL is in a pretty bad shape I guess.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
That sounds about right. Plus every time Crosby or Malkin score a routine goal it's an amazing generational event you'll tell your grandkids about, and nobody else in the world can make that play.

That's the case with the most NHL announcers. Last time Tampa's and today Pens', they praise every little fart by their team and mention the opposition only for complains. Though Tampa's announcers praised Kuzy for his goal.

I liked out 4th line. Would be nice to see 49 and 65. Bura looked very dangerous.
3rd line was awesome. Beagel is a monster. Chimmer is good too.
2nd line was solid. btw, Johansson stopped pissing me off. It seems he's heard the rumors lol
1st line wasn't that dynamic. Though they scored 3goals.

Can't evaluate D. Thought they were OK, but they often left Pens open in front of Hotlby. Though they were really good in O-zone, especially Orlov pinching.

Holtby is god.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Moving Kuzy with Ovie again might help jump start Ovie. He just seems so meh this year. Only difference is that the team overall is doing well and winning games

Anyone notice some really nice d zone play down by the crease and behind the goal line by Ovechkin tonight? I think he is playing his game as trotz wants it and not forcing the issue thru coverage. all the stuff we used to complain about with him. The team is winning and now he is playing meh because he is not going forcing it.

I don't see any issue with his play. Ov is now plus 13. Second on the team. With him that is a sure sign.

PuckBuddy

Green for Selke
Jul 14, 2009
Seattle, WA
That sounds about right. Plus every time Crosby or Malkin score a routine goal it's an amazing generational event you'll tell your grandkids about, and nobody else in the world can make that play.

It's a complete de-clawing of the barbed reality that they are not a dynastic franchise captained by the next Gretzky. Presumably done in order to protect the fragile psyche of the average Penguin's fan - one might even say that Bob and Steigy are half announcers, half therapists.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Anyone notice some really nice d zone play down by the crease and behind the goal line by Ovechkin tonight? I think he is playing his game as trotz wants it and not forcing the issue thru coverage. all the stuff we used to complain about with him. The team is winning and now he is playing meh because he is not going forcing it.

I don't see any issue with his play. Ov is now plus 13. Second on the team. With him that is a sure sign.

Yet when he went -35 it wasn't his fault and +/- was a bad stat. Ovechkin has not been good and his 4 PP goals show that. Even the Pens awful announcers mentioned that this is the first time they can remember that Malkin has more PP goals during a Caps/Pens matchup than Ovie does. He needs to get going offensively if this team wants to be a real threat

Edit: 2 points in his last 5 games

Acallabeth

Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Anyone notice some really nice d zone play down by the crease and behind the goal line by Ovechkin tonight? I think he is playing his game as trotz wants it and not forcing the issue thru coverage. all the stuff we used to complain about with him. The team is winning and now he is playing meh because he is not going forcing it. I don't see any issue with his play. Ov is now plus 13. Second on the team. With him that is a sure sign.
Ovechkin has been pretty good at defense and excellent on a breakout, but he's 3rd in team scoring and has 2 more points than Carlson. He's not producing and he's not engaged enough, it's December already, I'm not sure we can just shrug at him barely playing for half of the season.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
That's the case with the most NHL announcers. Last time Tampa's and today Pens', they praise every little fart by their team and mention the opposition only for complains. Though Tampa's announcers praised Kuzy for his goal..

not really. each crew plays to their audience. concentrating on their team. but the majority of the teams have fairly neutral broadcasts. particularly when the game is picked up nationally. the Pittsburgh guys are cheap and homers. the tampa guys are homers but less so now that engblom has joined as he is a national guy as well.
boston is homer to the point of being a joke but jack Edwards is as good a hockey play by play guy as their is and so its funny.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Yet when he went -35 it wasn't his fault and +/- was a bad stat. Ovechkin has not been good and his 4 PP goals show that. Even the Pens awful announcers mentioned that this is the first time they can remember that Malkin has more PP goals during a Caps/Pens matchup than Ovie does. He needs to get going offensively if this team wants to be a real threat

Edit: 2 points in his last 5 games

The issue is that his production should not come from the powerplay. Even if he is slumping tremendously at PP, he should get the points in even strength action.

When he was paired with Kuz, they were feeding off each other and getting it done at ES. Backstrom is just looking for the open man, and if Ovechkin is guarded, he just passes to Oshie, and no scoreboard for Ovie.

Kuz cycles the puck much more, will find him no matter what, and Ovie should do better with him.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Ovechkin has been pretty good at defense and excellent on a breakout, but he's 3rd in team scoring and has 2 more points than Carlson. He's not producing and he's not engaged enough, it's December already, I'm not sure we can just shrug at him barely playing for half of the season.

He is not scoring. He is plenty engaged. His attention to detail shows he is engaged. This season teams are trying to take him away and rather that force it and turn it over it lets his teammates take advantage of the open ice. He doesn't need to score. they scored 4 tonight without Ov having a point. Which is the proof he is playing well. Not proof that he is not.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
they are blind homers. it disturbs me that NHL net decided to use the ROOT crew rather than Joe B. They must have been hoping for a big Pittsburgh game.
Pretty sure they just always carry the home feed.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Agreed. Pens are the epitome of a paper tiger. Overrated forward group, no depth on the blue line, and a very good goalie.

That's exactly what I said the day they got Kessel. Sure they have superstars, but they are a weak group physically and mentally. The playoffs won't do them any good, especially if they meet the Rangers again. The Rangers are a nasty bunch and will make the Pens crumble under pressure.

The only way they can snap out of this is if they acquire a big strong Dman that will intimidate the opposition, a bit like Byfuglien. If the Jets can't sign Buff they should definitely pursue him.

I like that we're separating ourselves from the pack in the standings. Oh, and I like TJ Oshie. Tonight was a great example of why he is a much better player than Brouwer for us.

Also, I think this is a first in Ovi's career. He's more engaged and playing better defensively than offensively. He has been one of our most responsible forwards in the D zone and it's nice to see him put the team first. Sure he's not scoring a lot these days but he opens a ton of space for the other players. He will catch fire eventually and have a scoring streak. I hope he keeps some of his offensive punch for the playoffs.

Acallabeth

Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
He is not scoring. He is plenty engaged. His attention to detail shows he is engaged. This season teams are trying to take him away and rather that force it and turn it over it lets his teammates take advantage of the open ice. He doesn't need to score. they scored 4 tonight without Ov having a point. Which is the proof he is playing well. Not proof that he is not.
He's sparsely physical, he doesn't go to fight at the boards enough, he doesn't get himself open. He looks like he's not bothered by being taken away. He doesn't need to score every game, but when he has 6 points in last 10 games and what, 1 ESG? Not sure how you can't see a problem.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
He's sparsely physical, he doesn't go to fight at the boards enough, he doesn't get himself open. He looks like he's not bothered by being taken away. He doesn't need to score every game, but when he has 6 points in last 10 games and what, 1 ESG? Not sure how you can't see a problem.

The 1 ESG is definitely a problem and that is on Trotz to figure out if 8-19-77 is the optimal combination for Ovi. However, I don't agree with your assertion that he is sparsely physical. He murdered Gudbranson on the end boards just a few days ago. He needs to dig more along the boards but when he has, good things happened afterwards.

Again, if he's going to have a Toews-style season in which he doesn't score a lot in the regular season but turns it on in the playoffs I'm all for it.

RaindanceMaggie

Sep 3, 2011
Vancouver
That was very unprofessional by the Pens PBP crew for asking where's Asham in reference to Beagle. Asking for another player to get injured is unacceptable.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

12-3-2 over the past 17. 9-1-1 in the last 11. That's how.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
He doesn't need to score every game, but when he has 6 points in last 10 games and what, 1 ESG? Not sure how you can't see a problem.

His production has gone down ever since those 2 consecutive coaches challenges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad